Video: Kermit (Matt Vogel) and Fozzie (Eric Jacobson) in Muppet Thought of the Week

dwayne1115

Reaction score
This bears repeating, but it's not just the voice! the voice is a very small part of it, It's the personality, and mannerisms that's the issue here. He is just not the same Kermit, and that has nothing to do with Matt's prefromance, but anyone other then Jim or Steve is going to be different. That is one of the main issues Steve himself had with multi casting and with understudies. At best Matt or whoever else prefomers Kermit is going to be an imitation of an imitation.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Rick Lyon kind of had the mannerisms and inflections and such pretty good in that Colbert skit, but the voice sounded too much like a parody imitation of Kermit.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well again we are seeing everything Steve has said in his blog come true with Kermit. I could care less if Matt sounded exactly like Steve or Jim for that matter. Because the voice is just such a small factor.

It's like how everyone has been getting upset when the media calls Matt or Steve a "voice actor". Well we are doing that when we just focus on Kermit's voice. We are treating Matt and Steve like "voice actors" even when we are against calling them that.

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
Rick Lyon kind of had the mannerisms and inflections and such pretty good in that Colbert skit, but the voice sounded too much like a parody imitation of Kermit.
I honestly don't think that's a great comparison, but that's my opinion.

I have a lot of problems with the mannerisms and expressions in that skit video, but it was a parody, so I'll let it pass.

And yeah, I really don't care if Matt sounds like Jim or Steve. It's the expressions and mannerisms I focus on, and I haven't seen much of that yet.

Cookie Chris

Reaction score
Putting the voice aside, the gestures that Matt was making as Kermit in the video remind me too much of Constantine, especially with that V-shaped mannerism Kermit makes with his lips when he's annoyed. Matt used that facial gesture a lot in Muppets Most Wanted. Again, he needs more time and support.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Putting the voice aside, the gestures that Matt was making as Kermit in the video remind me too much of Constantine, especially with that V-shaped mannerism Kermit makes with his lips when he's annoyed. Matt used that facial gesture a lot in Muppets Most Wanted. Again, he needs more time and support.
I call that the "Scrunchy Face." I think Matt needs a little more work to get that right. But I keep telling myself, he'll get it. He's just starting. Naturally, he's going to have some rough patches in the beginning, but he'll get better, I'm sure of it.

xSunnyEclipse

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I've been saying for a while.

It seems like Matt either isn't comfortable or doesn't know how to give the right expressions to Kermit. In most cases, he looks dead or confused about what's going on. The same issue happened in the Hollywood Bowl, and I really hope he works on that.