Video: James Bobin and Bret McKenzie talk Muppets and the Oscars

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
I really hope they perform in SOME capacity! It's not fair! They're right about the ceremony being boring without songs... even the Emmys have songs! lol.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
everyone is always talking about a sequal and I really hope that does not happen. I mean another movie would be great but the muppets 2 i just dont think it would work

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Withholding the nominated best song performances is a big mistake that helps to conceal the bigger one - the evident bureaucracy of the nomination process. Only two rather obscure songs were nominated, the quirky Man or Muppet and the irritating monstrosity Real in Rio. Was it a thin year for movie music? No, it wasn't.

What was left out? Well, Madonna's song may not be worthy for an Oscar, but it deserved a nomination after its Golden Globe win. Something caused a disqualification. Elton John and Lady Gaga lent a duet to that Gnomeo cartoon. It's at least noteworthy. Maybe his recent trash-talking antics turned voters off to the possibility of an Oscar nod. Zooey Deschanel provided a sweet song for the Pooh reboot that definitely deserved some recognition. Mary J. Blige lent her vocal talents to a song in the popular "Help" movie. Alan Menken also penned a tune for what was probably the best part of the Captain America film. There are more, but what the frog? I'm not debating the merits of Man or Muppet, but why were all of these other songs shut out of the noms? It's embarrassing and I'm sure they'll revisit the rules next year because of this.

I believe that's the real reason for the performance shut-out. I just hope there will be some Muppety humor referencing their being silenced.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What was left out? Well, Madonna's song may not be worthy for an Oscar, but it deserved a nomination after its Golden Globe win. Something caused a disqualification. Elton John and Lady Gaga lent a duet to that Gnomeo cartoon. It's at least noteworthy. Maybe his recent trash-talking antics turned voters off to the possibility of an Oscar nod. Zooey Deschanel provided a sweet song for the Pooh reboot that definitely deserved some recognition. Mary J. Blige lent her vocal talents to a song in the popular "Help" movie. Alan Menken also penned a tune for what was probably the best part of the Captain America film. There are more, but what the frog? I'm not debating the merits of Man or Muppet, but why were all of these other songs shut out of the noms? It's embarrassing and I'm sure they'll revisit the rules next year because of this.
Well...heh... personal feelings aside about Madonna and Gnomeo and Julie-gnome... and the fact I think the animation nods are pretty solid considering this was destined not to be Pixar's year.. The Academy has proven how... eh... well... how Academy they are.

If nothing else, there should have been more than one Muppet song given the nod (Pictures in my Head or Life's a Happy Song)...Most of those other movies just sound like complete incompetence to me. I agree... that song from Captain America was genius. Maybe there weren't any songs in a movie about some war torn country told by the point of view from those who are doing the war tearing or any other cry fodder, and nothing felt worthy.

Like I always say, it's a big contest to pretend that Transformers 3 didn't happen.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well...heh... personal feelings aside about Madonna and Gnomeo and Julie-gnome... and the fact I think the animation nods are pretty solid considering this was destined not to be Pixar's year.. The Academy has proven how... eh... well... how Academy they are.

If nothing else, there should have been more than one Muppet song given the nod (Pictures in my Head or Life's a Happy Song)...Most of those other movies just sound like complete incompetence to me. I agree... that song from Captain America was genius. Maybe there weren't any songs in a movie about some war torn country told by the point of view from those who are doing the war tearing or any other cry fodder, and nothing felt worthy.

Like I always say, it's a big contest to pretend that Transformers 3 didn't happen.
Hahaha. Yeah, I really think that the academy ruled changed a few years back and we're seeing the strange fall-out. I too think that Life's a Happy Song should have gotten some recognition along with Menken's Capt. America tune. It really is fantastic and would make for a great Oscar stage performance. Also the Pooh tune was just so adorable and hit just the right note of sweetness. This whole category from nomination to the lack of performances will leave a sour taste with everybody unless it at least ends with a Muppet win.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hahaha. Yeah, I really think that the academy ruled changed a few years back and we're seeing the strange fall-out. I too think that Life's a Happy Song should have gotten some recognition along with Menken's Capt. America tune. It really is fantastic and would make for a great Oscar stage performance. Also the Pooh tune was just so adorable and hit just the right note of sweetness. This whole category from nomination to the lack of performances will leave a sour taste with everybody unless it at least ends with a Muppet win.
I loved the Backson song. I almost got the entire soundtrack just for that. I'm stewing that there isn't any Backson merchandise yet. That little bit at the end was my favorite part of the movie.

I've been saying, the best way to get a Muppet fix is to have them award the nominees for best animated feature, but they'll do that thing that was cute at first, and now just lazy where they animate the characters in the audience... seriously... cute first... now it's just lame.

Who can forget this great sequence with Bugs and Daffy handing out awards?

They had the Toy Story characters hand out an award once, then there was the time where Edna Mode from Incredibles was giving away the award for best costume design. There's no room for fun additions of fictitious characters anymore. And the best thing about the Muppets... they don't have to animate them, and they can award things LIVE. There was no doubt in my mind that they wouldn't let the Muppets host (above reasons... sad, sad awards... it wouldn't fit, even though comedians host all the time).

Something tells me, they're not going to give a crap and toss the thing over to Rio (I haven't seen it yet, so I can't judge) anyway... so... we don't even get to hear Man or Muppet either.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Youtube the Real in Rio song. It's pretty awful. But they'll probably have time for Billy Crystal's opening number. So they do have time for some songs. Hmm...

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Awards are famous for the WTFrakk nominations... what's worse are the WTFrakk wins. I fail to see why Sandra Bullock and that generic sports movie where she puts on a bad wig and an even worse accent was better than the breakout star of Precious (who, let's face it, isn't guaranteed many more jobs unless they force her into a contract with Jenny Craig).

Still, you'd think that Captain America song would be under consideration.

jcnegron

Reaction score
I don't think that the song Real in Rio is a "monstruosity". It's a "Batucada" so is written in the style of the music used for the Carnival of Rio (Mardi Gra), and its very faithful to the style. In Batucadas the emphasis is on the drums, and I love the drums in this. I don't find it particularly memorable though, but very few batucadas are, specially for non-Brazilian ears.