Upcoming Disney Movies

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but after The Muppets there are no good movies coming from Disney.
Here's the upcoming lineup

The Secret World of Arrierity- Febuary 17 2012
John Carter- March 9 2012
Brave- June 22 2012
Phineas and Ferb (I'm actually excited about this one) - July 26 2012
The Odd Life of Timothy Green-August 15 2012
Frankenweenie (what kind of name is that?!) - October 5th 2012
Wreck- It Ralph (sounds lame) - November 12 2012

I don't know about you guys but after The Muppets I won't be seeing a Disney movie in a while
0__________0 You are not a Ghibli or Tim Burton fan, I take it?

I hadn't really heard of any of the other movies, but I'm so unbelievably stoked for The Secret World of Arrierity ever since I saw the English trailer and saw that they had put it to Jonsi's "Around Us". It's my next must-see movie, after The Muppets of course. :big_grin:

Brave also sounds epic, and if Pixar goes the more serious route for this story, then I'll be so unbelievably happy. :smile:

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of japanese animation but I may actually see The Secret World of Arrierity because I saw th trailer before The Muppets and it looks pretty good.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Coming back to this thread a few months later.
The Secret World of Arriety wasn't that bad. Although, I'm not a fan of the animation.
John Carter was a huge flop. One of the biggest in history. Disney lost about 2 million in that movie.
Is the Phineas and Ferb movie really happening? This summer? Any details?

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------
I'm sold on "Brave" for the eye candy alone. Dark, broody, Scottish Pixar? Oh frog yeah.

And as a longtime Burton fan, I'll certainly take a look at the revived "Frankenweenie" -- dare I say it? It's ALIVE!
--------------

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
"Arrietty" was FANTASTIC, as I knew it would be, but yeah, you gotta be able to appreciate that kind of animation when you're used to the American-style we all grew up with. I admit that I previously shunned any "anime" films & cartoons, but I've now been a HUGE Miyazaki/Ghibli fan for the better part of 2 years, owning nearly every film on dvd/bluray (even a region-free dvd of Arrietty! Still gonna buy the bluray though of course!). Ghibli stuff isn't your regular screaming-at-the-top-of-your-lungs idiotic kiddie-fare type movie that we normally see here in the good ol' U.S. of A. (sadly, usually by Disney :frown: ), they make thought provoking films full of heart and true beauty. My God, I could watch every Ghibli film without sound and never take my eyes away, the art and animation is so beautiful. Not to say anything bad about the storytelling though, which is AMAZING. Truly, there's nothing like it.

Anyhow, this is an Upcoming Disney Movies thread, ha ha, so back on topic. I never had any interest in seeing John Carter, though I may check it out on Redbox after its home release. Can't wait for: Brave, Planes, & Wreck-It Ralph. They all seem like they'll be cool films (especially Brave), especially after doing a bit of research to find out what they're actually about rather than judging them based on their titles, lol. Actually, when all that's known is they're coming from Pixar, that's enough for me to know they'll be good. :big_grin:

I wonder when we'll see another Toy Story Toon? And when the fast-food one that was attached to The Muppets will be available on dvd/bluray? It's been pretty cool of Disney Channel to show the new "Tangled Ever After" or whatever it's called; the wedding story of Rapunzel and Eugene. I forget what film that was attached to theatrically, but I remember it was something I wouldn't pay to see, ha ha.

Really hoping we see more classicly animated fairy tales from Disney! I had such high hopes for Princess and the Frog, and Tangled; while they're both just alright imo, they could have been so much more (especially Tangled, they didn't need to try to be so Shrek-ish), especially with such abundant source material (i.e., the original fairy tales and all the different versions thereafter). I'd love to see a Rumplestiltskin movie, about the farmer who wants the king/prince to marry his daughter so he says she can spin straw into gold, etc. etc. Also, a film based on Rose Red would be nice, they could use multiple fairy tales for that one so she wouldn't have to have a sister named "Snow White" of all names, ha ha, but really still go for a real classic fairy tale feel, y'know? Princess and the Pea is one of my absolute favorite old stories, but they'd really have to flesh it out (but maybe... have the Pixar guys do that, hee-hee). There's so many more, but I'm many tired, lol.

G'night all!
:smile:
Anthony

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've always have problems with how Disney distributed Ghibli films. This was the widest release ever, and I still had to see it at an expensive arthouse theater with a tiny screen. But yes... it's indeed a sad, beautiful film.

But still, I missed out on MFA's Ghibli film screenings. They had Porco Russo, Pom Poko, and My Neighbors, the Yamadas among others.

Though, to its credit, I'm surprised Disney released Pom Poko in the US at all...it has to do with Tanuki... and if you know Japanese mythology or have seen the film, you know what's American culturally wrong with it.

I'm VERY Amped for Wreck it Ralph. It's going to be the video game equivalent of Roger Rabbit. In one scene, you see King Koopa, Dr. Wily, Zangief and Dr. Eggman. Together. 3 of those guys are my favorite video game bad guys of all time (though M. Bison would have been better than Zangeif)! I don't even care about the rest of the movie's plot and who's in it and what it's going to be like. Dr. Wily, King Koopa, and Dr. Eggman on the big screen?! That has me right there.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I'm still convinced that with Brave, it's Disney/Pixar wanting their own How to Train Your Dragon.

In fact, my theory on that sparked this strip featured in a webcomic I read regularly:
http://idget.comicgenesis.com/d/20120101.html
It's been in development for quite some time, though. I remember reading about Brave back when it was called The Bear and the Bow.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's been in development for quite some time, though. I remember reading about Brave back when it was called The Bear and the Bow.
Other than the Medieval setting, there's nothing that close about them. Dragons was heavily Norse, but Brave is heavily Celtic. Not to mention that Dragons feature mystical creatures while Brave is more grounded in reality (so much as I've heard about the film).

Production started as early back as 2006, when they were taking trips to Scotland to scout out locations and scenery. And Dreamworks does have a history of sniping Pixar's ideas and trying to get them out before Pixar did. And that goes all the way back to Small Soldiers trying to snipe Toy Story's plotline of toys coming to life.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Let's see, I thought John Carter was amazing despite it's terrible box office presence. I will admit the CGI was not the best but I thought the writing was great and I loved the inclusion of the Barsoom language thing. Good one.

Didn't see The Secret World of Arrietty, but I think it looked great. And that's coming from me, who didn't care for Ponyo or any of the other Studio Ghibli films. Might rent it when it comes to DVD.

Brave, well, after seeing the trailers, I kind of think it's not Pixar's best. The story looks a little... not complex and Pixar-y. But only time will tell if this is going to be another blockbuster. Although, I must say, I love the Scottish element and setting.

Phineas and Ferb, I love the series and I'm completely excited about this. It sounds really awesome. Though, I'm still not keen on the live action/animation, "Looney Tunes: Back in Action"-type technique. But, like Brave, I gotta see it to get a good opinion. BTW, I'm also intrested in Jim Carey's take on Doofenshmirtz.

The Odd Life of Timothy Green. Huh, read the Wikipedia entry. I never thought I'd say this, but it looks pretty good for a sappy dramatic one.

I am a big Tim Burton fan and I'm extremely excited for Frankenweenie. I loved the original short, and I think it can easily transfer to stop-motion. The story is fun. And c'mon... it's Tim Burton!

Wreck-It Ralph looks amazing. I'm no gamer, but I agree that the collaborating of all the video game characters is like that of Roger Rabbit. The story, while not really apparent (no trailers!) seems interesting. And the stars penned to voice over seem like good fits for this kind of movie.

Oh, and we won't wanna forget The Avengers. Yeah, it's not really an official Disney film, but my thoughts still stand. It will be the best! Marvel movies always bring it, and to have the heroes finally coming together will be awesome times 2.

And uh... The Lone Ranger, no big news except for Jerry Bruckhiemer directing and Johnny Depp playing Tonto. Seems nice, mostly because the Jerry Bruckhiemer/Johnny Depp duo has worked basically everytime with the Pirates series.

Monsters University looks like a smart move on Pixar's end. Monsters, Inc. was a success and to market a nicely-written prequel off of it is a good idea. Though, I'm just really disappointed at the fact that we probably won't ever see what happens to Boo. But the return of Mike Wasowski makes up for that.

Frozen, lastly, looks like another hit by Disney even with the fact that it hasn't begun production yet. It looks like another Tangled-type storybook adaptation and that's seemed to work for Disney. Although, it will be nice to see how this turns out after Glen Keane (character creator who helped Disney create hits, Rapunzel, Aladdin, Beast, Pocahontas, and Ariel) leaves Disney.