Underrated music

SillyRed

Reaction score
Which music stars do you think are underrated? I'll have to say Little Big Town. I don't see why people who have heard of Carrie Underwood or Lady Antebellum never hear of or care about this group? Their harmonies are beauiful> Ihope their new CD The Reason Why gets more popular!:mad:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Bowling for Soup. No one has ever heard of these guys yet everyone knows their hit 1985 and Almost (which everyone seems to think is a Simple Plan Song. Simple Plan NEVER recorded this song for an album). They do tons of music for movies and tv shows (Phineas and Ferb theme, Jimmy Neutron Movie Theme, they were even in the movie Cursed). Their songs are really funny with great catchy music. I dont get why High School Never Ends or A Really Cool Dance Song or even Friends Like You or Punk Rock 101 werent hits. Girl All the Bad Guys want got them a Grammy nomination (I dont know if they won it).

Even their concerts double as comedy acts. I mean, people who like catchy pop-punk bands and are fans of crude humor should love these guys...

JJandJanice

Reaction score
My choice might seem a bit odd, but hear me out...

Christina Aguilera.

I know that seems like an odd choice consider how many albums she's sold. But, I feel she rarely gets the credit she deserves for being an ACTUAL TALENTED SINGER. When she first hit the scene in 1998, people kind of discredited her as a "Britney Spears Wanna" and was kind of always more or less in Spears' shadow, most likely because Spears hit it famous before Aguilera and maybe in some people's mind, is more "marketable." But no doubt about it, when it comes to actual singing, Aguilera totally blows Spears out of the water. Another thing that totally discredit her and her talent though is in 2002. when she started dressing more "raunchy" and her music video for the song "Dirrty" was a VERY sexed up video, it would wind up having a more "damaging effect" on her carrer.

But still in the end, she CAN sing and there where I think people sometimes overlook.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Hanson. Their music is so far from MMMBop now, yet people seem to not want to consider their evolution in the last 13 years as songwriters, vocalists and instrumentalists. (And their harmonies, a la their acapella "Change in My Life.")

Nick22

Reaction score
i'm gonna say jack johnson. maybe he's not as underrated as i think he is, but i think he's awesome and should get more recognition

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Bowling for Soup. No one has ever heard of these guys yet everyone knows their hit 1985 and Almost (which everyone seems to think is a Simple Plan Song. Simple Plan NEVER recorded this song for an album). They do tons of music for movies and tv shows (Phineas and Ferb theme, Jimmy Neutron Movie Theme, they were even in the movie Cursed). Their songs are really funny with great catchy music. I dont get why High School Never Ends or A Really Cool Dance Song or even Friends Like You or Punk Rock 101 werent hits. Girl All the Bad Guys want got them a Grammy nomination (I dont know if they won it).

Even their concerts double as comedy acts. I mean, people who like catchy pop-punk bands and are fans of crude humor should love these guys...
Did you just say what I think you said? *squee* :excited: I have totally loved that band since...*tries to remember*...erm...a while. They're my favorite modern band! :smile:

APRena

Reaction score
I don't know how popular Katie Herzig is, but in my mind she should be more popular. Don't bother Googling her if you don't like girly pop/folk music. (Think Imogen Heap.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I second that. I love their Phineas and Ferb theme song and all that. Though, I'm not too sure about their rerecording of "I Ran" for the English dub of Saint Seiya (but that's DIC's fault).

I'm gonna say Weird Al Yankovic. By which, I mean his originals. People always remember Eat it and The Saga Begins and all his parody work, but no one seems to know about his original works. Other than the fact Dare to Be Stupid is popular (due in part to the Transformers movie... the animated one... the GOOD one), no one seems to know about Midnight Star or Nature Trail to He__ in 3D. Some of his funniest songs are all original lyrics.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
I second that. I love their Phineas and Ferb theme song and all that. Though, I'm not too sure about their rerecording of "I Ran" for the English dub of Saint Seiya (but that's DIC's fault).
Any opinions on their cover of "I'll Melt with You" for Sky High? I'm not really all that fond of the movie (mainly because I'm not interested in superheroes) although I loved the song. (80's one-hit-wonders, for the win!)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not that they didn't do a good job of that cover, it's just.... well, I'm never happy with dub shows having to write a completely different song due to the multiple reasons that they need to (music rights are a big problem... plus, it's easier to write a new song than the translate one)... and I will say, it does fit, since it's a 1980's anime and all.... just... the cheese factor of that particular song, no matter who covers it, just... it ruins the macho-ness of the series worse than the cuts.

Melt with you? Never saw the movie it was from, don't know if I heard their version... that song is overrated though, considering I see it in every food commercial now.