Underrated Movies

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Quest for Camelot - Yes, this movie is pretty bad but I think people are just slightly too hard on it. Warner's first real attempt at an animated features which tries to combine the best of both worlds (the 1990's Disney musical and Warner Brothers' own trademark Looney Tunes comedy) and there are a lot of flaws but the animation is great to look at, the music isn't half-bad and I seem to be the only person in the world who likes that two-headed dragon.
I saw that a while ago. Not too bad.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'll always prefer the original for it's dark and beautifully strange vibe. That's THE Gremlins movie. It's Gremlins :smile: But as for Gremlins 2, while I agree that it didn't get as much attention when it was released as Gremins did when it came out, I think most people agree with you these days and prefer 2.

I like Gremlins 2 a lot, and I am glad Dante made it! Yes, it not only made fun of the first film, but it also had all sorts of other "messages" (for lack of a better word) in it, no matter how subtle (the first one had some too).

Though I'd choose the first if I could only have one of them, Gremlins 2 is indeed great! :smile:
1 and 2 were entirely different films and I kind of liked that. But I prefer the original in tone and direction. Gremlins 2, while good in its own right, I like my horror humor to be a little more subversive than cartoony.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie.....There, I said it.

Adam: I'm a frog.
Billy: You ooze you lose.
Kimberly: Tommy get your butt down here!
Tommy: Lets do it guys. It's moprhin time!
Aisha: Lead on fly boys.
Rocky: So....Hungry?

Lord Zedd: Finally someone shut her up.
Rita Repulsa: Finally, a real man.
Ivan Ooze: Of all the things that I have missed. The Black Plague, the Spanish Inquisition, the Brady Bunch reunion.....
Goldar: You think she's cute too, huh?

Skull: You hungry?
Bulk: Always.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
both the 1975, and the 2003 Walking Tall. Great story!

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
The Producers. And I'm not talking about the original Mel Brooks film that gets a good amount of attention and thankfully not overhyped but rather the 2005 adaptation of the Broadway musical. I haven't seen it since it came out (I just saw it for $5.99 at Rite-Aid and have to remind myself to pick it up one of these days) but I don't understand all the negative press it got. It is, essentially, a filmed version of the musical but were you expecting anything else? If you watch the original Mel Brooks movie, the similarities between the two in cinematography are there to an extent. Matthew Broderick is one of the few actors I can't hate no matter what movie he's in and Nathan Lane is without a doubt one of the best comedians in the business. I don't think this movie would have worked if they had reworked the blocking extensively. Sweeney Todd (another heavily underrated movie musical) worked very well because they took the musical darker than they could have on stage, Little Shop of Horrors (while I don't hate it, it's probably the most overrated musical by people under the age of 25) gets by thanks to the complex animatronic plant that would have impossible on stage and Hairspray is just brings on so many smiles and toe-tapping it's impossible to dislike. The Producers' libretto is so hilarious and the cinematography works well enough that a filmed version of the musical works. And quite honestly, I didn't even notice a "filmed stage play" look to the movie when I saw it.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Quest for Camelot - Yes, this movie is pretty bad but I think people are just slightly too hard on it. Warner's first real attempt at an animated features which tries to combine the best of both worlds (the 1990's Disney musical and Warner Brothers' own trademark Looney Tunes comedy) and there are a lot of flaws but the animation is great to look at, the music isn't half-bad and I seem to be the only person in the world who likes that two-headed dragon.
I found their song from the movie while looking for the song from Monster's Inc. of the same name and I really liked it (it's on my iPod). However, I do use the number as an example of something really out-of-place. I mean, it's the only part of the movie where reality (to some extent) is demolished and we get all these celebrity/pop-culture references. The whole movie isn't like that, just that scene (and maybe that chicken/axe's "Feelin' clucky?" line).

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie.....There, I said it.

Adam: I'm a frog.
Billy: You ooze you lose.
Kimberly: Tommy get your butt down here!
Tommy: Lets do it guys. It's moprhin time!
Aisha: Lead on fly boys.
Rocky: So....Hungry?

Lord Zedd: Finally someone shut her up.
Rita Repulsa: Finally, a real man.
Ivan Ooze: Of all the things that I have missed. The Black Plague, the Spanish Inquisition, the Brady Bunch reunion.....
Goldar: You think she's cute too, huh?

Skull: You hungry?
Bulk: Always.
Amen to that! I remember seeing that movie in the theater when I was 8, and I saw a few scenes from it again fairly recently. Not really a "good" movie, per se, but a lot of fun.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Amen to that! I remember seeing that movie in the theater when I was 8, and I saw a few scenes from it again fairly recently. Not really a "good" movie, per se, but a lot of fun.
It was cheesy, well still cheesy, but it's still fun to watch. It's even on youtube.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Producers. And I'm not talking about the original Mel Brooks film that gets a good amount of attention and thankfully not overhyped but rather the 2005 adaptation of the Broadway musical. I haven't seen it since it came out (I just saw it for $5.99 at Rite-Aid and have to remind myself to pick it up one of these days) but I don't understand all the negative press it got. It is, essentially, a filmed version of the musical but were you expecting anything else? If you watch the original Mel Brooks movie, the similarities between the two in cinematography are there to an extent. Matthew Broderick is one of the few actors I can't hate no matter what movie he's in and Nathan Lane is without a doubt one of the best comedians in the business. I don't think this movie would have worked if they had reworked the blocking extensively. Sweeney Todd (another heavily underrated movie musical) worked very well because they took the musical darker than they could have on stage, Little Shop of Horrors (while I don't hate it, it's probably the most overrated musical by people under the age of 25) gets by thanks to the complex animatronic plant that would have impossible on stage and Hairspray is just brings on so many smiles and toe-tapping it's impossible to dislike. The Producers' libretto is so hilarious and the cinematography works well enough that a filmed version of the musical works. And quite honestly, I didn't even notice a "filmed stage play" look to the movie when I saw it.
Oh God... Yeah. Like I'm not going to mention this at all.

I really feel this movie was a victim of the limited release. It was only seen in very expensive art house theaters, and didn't get the same mutliplex treatment Sweeny Todd or Hairspray got. And the worst part is, they had to truncate the heck out of The Producers because movies have to be extremely short (unless they're vanity pictures that go over 3 hours) so they can fit in multiple showings AT a multiplex. Most of the best scenes were cut out. But thank goodness it was made in the era of the DVD, so we could get all those great scenes (including a brilliant bit with Andrea Martin) and songs on the DVD. In fact, I think there's more to love in the musical version than even in the brilliant original movie it was based off of. Especially the twist that Hitler was played by a very effeminate gay guy instead of a Hippy.

If one of my local cheaper theaters (that was on it's way to being an upperclass indie theater) didn't show this film, I would have had to have waited until DVD.

And the best part is you DO get Nathan Lane and Mathew Broaderick. Unlike Hairspray, which swapped out Harvey Feirstine with John Travolta. And even when the film Swapped out Hollywood actors for lesser roles, Will Ferrel was BRILLIANT as the Nazi sympathizer. No Kennith Mars, mind you... but it was one of the few movies he REALLY shines in.

If only the movie had the release it SHOULD have. And we probably ain't gettting a Young Frankenstine one now. Like I can afford to go to New York and get a several hundred dollar ticket.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
If one of my local cheaper theaters (that was on it's way to being an upperclass indie theater) didn't show this film, I would have had to have waited until DVD.
Yeah, I found the trailer by chance surfing the web in 8th grade before it came out and really wanted to see the movie. I just happened to find a half-multiplex/half-indie theater (mostly playing the "bigger" limited releases) that I've gone to for years but neglected once a bigger theater opened closer to me that started playing it and of course I saw it! I haven't seen it since. Again, I haven't seen it since but that's the movie I credit with me getting back into musicals which lead to an illustrious four years as part of my high school's drama club. It's just too bad people didn't give it a chance. It's become one of my musicals and I'm not even familiar with the stage version of The Producers.