TV Alert: Sesame Street introduces new Muppet Julia on 60 Minutes March 19, 2017

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Aww gee. It's Kami all over again: now people are worried that this will pave the way for SST to start including LGBT Muppets on the show and thus corrupt the minds of today's tender and innocent preschool children. :rolleyes:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
*sigh. I knew this would happen eventually. I knew someone would get upset about this. Oh well, i'm still excited. If anything, detractors show us why we need characters like this.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I think it's great that they want to introduce a Muppet with Autism. I happen to deal with Autism myself and personally if I ever meet Stacy Gordon, I would shake her hand and tell her what a great Job she's doing.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Julia has a very odd look to her, almost like she's from a different show.
I think I figured it out . . . in actual Muppet form, she looks as if she almost bears resemblance to H.R. Pufnstuf:

Ah well. I still think she's adorable.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I think I figured it out . . . in actual Muppet form, she looks as if she almost bears resemblance to H.R. Pufnstuf:

Ah well. I still think she's adorable.
Hmm, I guess H.R. does look kind of like a scary, hippy, drugged up, moonshine making, bag lady that lives in the woods version of Julia.

Though, I actually wonder if she's related to Bert. After all, he's pretty much the only other bright yellow character with an orange nose that we see on the show. Also, she has red hair like Bert's nephew Brad.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think it might be the eyes more than anything. With some exceptions, traditional Muppet eyes tend to be simply white with black pupils, and here (like Abby), Julia has green irises - not to mention, her eyelashes aren't like the kind we've seen on previous female Muppets like Prairie Dawn or someone.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Thanks to YT, I'm now able to watch the online exclusive videos. Watching Matt do Big Bird's voice is pretty interesting, especially when you realize his normal voice sounds nothing like that.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Thanks to YT, I'm now able to watch the online exclusive videos. Watching Matt do Big Bird's voice is pretty interesting, especially when you realize his normal voice sounds nothing like that.
That is so amazing. Just how much care and effort they put into everything on the show, even down to Julia's design, and even the placement of her eyes- all of it had a purpose. This really made me realize, we're living in an age where the show is making history. This is truly a landmark episode in the history of the show and the history of TV, just like in 1983 when they explained Mr. Hooper's death. This is huge. I'm so excited.

Also, I love when we get to see behind the scenes tidbits. It's really fascinating and inspiring. Also, that song Alan and the gang were singing seems pretty catchy. And watching Ryan and Matt do the Elmo and Big Bird voices was really strange. We've seen Caroll Spinney and Kevin Clash do their characters' voices without the puppet, but i've never seen their recasts do it. It's just super strange, yet cool at the same time.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
That is so amazing. Just how much care and effort they put into everything on the show, even down to Julia's design, and even the placement of her eyes- all of it had a purpose. This really made me realize, we're living in an age where the show is making history. This is truly a landmark episode in the history of the show and the history of TV, just like in 1983 when they explained Mr. Hooper's death. This is huge. I'm so excited.

Also, I love when we get to see behind the scenes tidbits. It's really fascinating and inspiring. Also, that song Alan and the gang were singing seems pretty catchy. And watching Ryan and Matt do the Elmo and Big Bird voices was really strange. We've seen Caroll Spinney and Kevin Clash do their characters' voices without the puppet, but i've never seen their recasts do it. It's just super strange, yet cool at the same time.
I haven't seen Caroll and Kevin do it.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Am I the only one who cried during this whole segment? I applaud Sesame Street for continuing to take these measures to educate children and include ALL children with different special needs. While I may not care for the format and changes to the show as I'm nearing 40 years old, but I see stuff like this and I am reminded why I love and have loved Sesame Street so much over the years, and how it's STILL the most important children's television program out there.

I remember when I was growing up being introduced to Linda Bove and the deaf community because of this show, I remember they had a blind monster character named Aristotle in the 80s when I was a kid. Now that I'm married to a man who was born with spina bifida, and have learned so much about people with special needs, I find it awe inspiring that Sesame is still taking strides in doing this kind of work for children.