Top Ten "Lesser' Muppets

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:search: 10 - Sherlock Hemlock
Here's a Sesame character that should be brought back. What's more educational than a sleuth discovering new things?
9 - Big Bird
This bird always seems to be MIA when I tune into Sesame Street. What's the deal? He used to be the reluctant figurehead of the show (not unlike Kermit with the Muppet Show).
8 - Mildred
I just like her design and there's a place for this character with the Muppets.
7 - Frackles (Boppity and Gloat)
Background frackles used to be what the Muppets were all about.
6 - Seymour
He never got his chance to rise above Muppets Tonight. I think there's a place for him.
5 - Clueless Morgan
I'm convinced this character isn't around just because Bill Barretta is too darn busy.
4 - Uncle Deadly
Let's face it, fans want him back.
3 - Beauregard
I miss him.
2 - Crazy Harry
I'm glad he's coming back.
1 - Muppet Monsters (like Luncheon Counter Monster and Thog)
The Muppets have lost their zany background monsters. Are they on strike with the Screen Monsters Guild or something?

peyjenk

Reaction score
8 - Mildred
I just like her design and there's a place for this character with the Muppets.
I couldn't agree more! I was introduced to her in the TMS Season 1 set, and I just fell in love with her. I think the Muppets definitely could use her these days. She was one of the first characters to really have a defined personality and like you say, the puppet is beautiful.

rexcrk

Reaction score
5 - Clueless Morgan
I'm convinced this character isn't around just because Bill Barretta is too darn busy.
Makes sense to me lol... between Rowlf, Dr. Teeth, Swedish Chef, and especially Pepe. I fear Bobo may also even be taking a back seat because of that =(

And I've only seen the Dark Crystal maybe twice (I should watch it again, I DO have it on DVD =P) but The Chamberlain is actually the only Skeksis I DO remember... probably because of his trademark "Hmmm..."

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Makes sense to me lol... between Rowlf, Dr. Teeth, Swedish Chef, and especially Pepe. I fear Bobo may also even be taking a back seat because of that =(

And I've only seen the Dark Crystal maybe twice (I should watch it again, I DO have it on DVD =P) but The Chamberlain is actually the only Skeksis I DO remember... probably because of his trademark "Hmmm..."
Aw...they all look alike to me. Is that wrong? :scary:
Don't want to be a skeksis racist. :embarrassed:

Carnby

Reaction score
I can't really list 10 off the top of my head (though Gloat sure as heck would be on the list), but my main vote goes for Mahna Mahna. We need more Mahna Mahna merchandise! There was what, just the mini Muppet figure of him made? I'd kill for a Master Replicas photo puppet of him. Wait, was one even made?

Other votes go for Uncle Deadly, Crazy Harry and Lew Zealand.

The Narrator

Reaction score
Does Sir Didymus from Labyrinth count as a Muppet or would he be a creature? Sometimes that line blurs too much for me to make out. I must have puppet astigmatism.

Clueless Morgan is definitely on my list. The two most missed figures from the Palisades line, IMO were Sal Manilla and Clueless Morgan. Ah, if only...

RedPiggy

Reaction score
If we're going strictly with Muppets, that really narrows it down because the Skekses are creatures, technically.

If creatures aren't allowed:
1. Gunge. Not only is he awesome as Marjory's companion, but he manages to avoid getting eaten in every Dinosaurs cameo he has.
2. The Ocean Breeze frogs -- just too funny.
3. Can't remember his name, but the "Rev" Doozer.
4. Beastie (Tosh's pet). What the heck is a lion doing in Fraggle Rock?
5. I miss Forgetful Jones and Sherlock Hemlock. Tie.
6. Dirth Nader (sp?). Technically, he isn't Gonzo.
7. Mavis (Ma's magic mirror). Ma was always so alone -- I would like to think they still talk girl to girl.
8. Biff and Sully.
9. Annie Sue. I thought the concept was neat but apparently the writers couldn't keep up the pace of porcine competition.
10. Dr. Strangepork. I always got a kick out of the fact that he's way smarter than supposedly both Link and Piggy, but he was just as stupid.

If creatures are allowed:
1. Gunge. Copy. Paste.
2. The "Rev" Doozer.
3. Chamberlain.
4. Gary (Dinosaurs). A 50-ft version of Roy. Makes you wonder why aside from Monica he's the only other really REALLY big dinosaur.
5. The Scavengers Gang (Dinosaurs). I became a big fan (as readers of Comeback will notice).
6. The goblins (Labyrinth). Have the same Muppety mayhem thing going on.
7. Mavis.
8. Big Bird. By now, he IS a "lesser" Muppet.
9. Barkley. Miss him.
10. Muppets as Chickens. It can't NOT be funny. :smile:

Pug Lover

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum TripleG!

Here are some other lesser muppets I could think of.

Bruno_(not to be confused with human sized muppet on Sesame Street)A grey muppet with a rather long nose,black hair and mean looking eyes.He played a big part in Shirley Bassey's episode during season five.Though he adored Shirley Bassey,he was such a bully throughout the show.Aside from Kermit,Bruno also attacked Beaker and the Muppet Newsflash anchorman for touching his precious gold bars.This episode in particular was almost Bruno's only episode.He had a brief appearance in Roger Moore's episode,but with a different voice.I think he also appeared as just a face in the crowd during Paul Simon's episode.
Miss Piggy was absent from Shirley Bassey's episode.Being quite a bully herself,I'd have been interested to see how her and Bruno would have gotten along.

Hilda_A nice old lady muppet with grey hair and glasses who was a regular staple throughout season one.Her disappearance seems to remain a mystery.She did appear in the audience of Shields & Yarnell's circus number.Other than that,nobody seems to know whatever happened to her.I liked her!

George_The theatre's original janitor.A grumpy old guy he was.He looked simular to Waldorf,with the same shape head.I liked his replacement Bouragaurd,but it seems unexplained why they replaced George in the first place.
Incidently George also used to dance with Mildred in the"At The Dance"sketches.

Pops_The old man muppet in the basement booth who always greeted the guest stars with"Who are you?"throughout season five(replacing Scooter's dressing room announcements to the guest stars).Pops was also a big part of"The Great Muppet Caper".But since TGMC he seems to have gone into oblivion.

Link Hogthrob & Professor Strangepork_Whatever happened to these two characters?
Aside from being Miss Piggy's two"Pigs In Space"sidekicks,they both had their share of roles in many other sketches as well.Link was also Comissioner Hogthrob in Fozzie's"Patrol Bear"sketches.Since TMS ended it's run,Hogthrob and Strangepork seem long gone.

J.P_Scooter's uncle who used to own the theatre.Though mentioned quite frequently,he only ever appeared in two episodes of season two,Judy Collins and Jaye P Morgan to be exact.
I suppose now that the theatre is owned by Kermit & Co.,there's no need to see Scooter's uncle again.

TripleG

Reaction score
Interesting, but I never knew there was a distinction between Muppets & Creatures. Chalk that up to being uninformed on my part, but I just always called anything that came out of Jim Henson's body of work a Muppet. I never really seperated them.

Anyways, very happy Muppet fan tonight. Crazy Harry had a speaking role in the new Christmas special! They haven't used Harry in ages, probably since The Muppet Movie (I honestly cant think of any Harry moments that came after it outside of being a background character) So it was great to see him tonight, even if it was just for one gag.