Top Annoying Misnaming People Do

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hate when people confuse Telly with Elmo.
So does Telly himself. Once with the Muppet Performers were at an event having their pictures taken, some photographer kept calling out to Telly, "Hey! Purple Elmo! Over here! Purple Elmo!" So Marty had Telly lose it. "Oh, so I'm the 'Purple Elmo'? Well, okay! Don't forget Oscar over here, he's the 'Green Elmo,' and then there's Cookie Monster, he's the 'Blue Elmo'!"

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Really? Purple Elmo. That's just lazy. You'd think professionals would at least do a little research before going to an event. That's like going into a Star Wars convention and shouting "Hey Spock! Over here Spock!" to Harrison Ford.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I would, unfortunately, give them some benefit of the doubt, considering I'm not entirely sure how well-known or recognized Telly is among casual lurkers, and considering that Telly's design is similar to Elmo's in they're both orange-nosed monsters, and Telly's fur is more of a fuschia/magenta-ish color than true purple. . . . it's still ridiculous, though.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the photographer since I don't know how old he was or if he watched SST on a regular basis or even at all. But another thing that bothers me is, when people who watched the show regularly in the 80s,90s and early 2000s don't know who Telly is.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I guess Telly just doesn't resonate with many kids, because even Joey said in spite of his efforts to write more for Telly that apparently kids just aren't drawn to him like they are other characters like Elmo.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Actually, I now recall a similar situation years ago when I was walking through the store wearing my Cookie Monster t-shirt, and I was passing a mother pushing her toddler in a buggy, and the toddler pointed out to my shirt and said, "Elmo! Elmo!" The mother said, "that's right, that's 'Elmo's Friend'!"

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Actually, I now recall a similar situation years ago when I was walking through the store wearing my Cookie Monster t-shirt, and I was passing a mother pushing her toddler in a buggy, and the toddler pointed out to my shirt and said, "Elmo! Elmo!" The mother said, "that's right, that's 'Elmo's Friend'!"
Well I guess it's excusable for toddlers, they think every SST character is Elmo.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
One time I had a Bloo shirt on and a little kid said it was Grover.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This thread's been open for a long time, has it ever been mentioned that some people out there seem to get Grover and Gonzo mixed up?