TMS wins Emmys, but no series greenlit

Chilly Down

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2002
Messages
1,005
Reaction score
78
Hey there - This might have been discussed somewhere else, but I can't find it.

Back in September, the "Muppet Show" 50th anniversary special won four out of the six Emmys it was nominated for.

The show was a smash hit on Disney Plus. I saw an article back in February that said that its audience grew by 145% in the second week.

The show got praise from reviewers, and it's got a high score on IMDB. (Last I checked, it was an 8.7 out of 10.)

This is the most popular and acclaimed thing that the Muppets have done in decades.

So is the Mouse House greenlighting a new series with Seth Rogen?

Actually, they're still dragging their feet. When asked about it shortly after the Emmy wins, Rogen and Disney said they were stuck because they couldn't figure out a premise to move forward.

Um, you can't figure out a premise? As a YouTube commenter I saw said, "Here's a premise for you: Kermit the Frog and his friends put on a weekly variety show."

I can understand skepticism and hand-wringing before the special was released. Would audiences still be interested in a variety show when the genre has been dead for decades? Well, it turns out that the answer was a resounding yes. So what exactly is the hold-up?

Maybe there's something else going on, and this is just a polite way of dodging the issue. That's the best I can figure, because the actual statement is just too baffling.

(Alas, I haven't seen the special yet myself. We don't have a Disney Plus subscription for other reasons, and I accidentally missed my chance to watch it in broadcast.)

Thoughts, anyone?

Mods, feel free to move this to a pre-existing thread if I missed one. Thanks!
 
Top