Tips for performing live with puppets

Byn Always

Reaction score
We are getting ready to take our children's educational puppet show around to some live events, library story times, family friendly fundraising events, etc to get more exposure. As a family we've done a lot of public performing, but this will be our first time with a puppet. Thus far our only live shows has been in our house, with our set.

Any tips or advice from things you learned the hard way? Things to avoid, etc? Do you have any videos of your live shows?

Terrence Burke

Reaction score
Hi Byn, I started performing live in late 2010, I am by no means an expert, just a guy who makes & loves puppets. A few things I have learned from my shows in the last year;
Use a sound system if you have one. I often perform outdoors, and found that as loud as I am... a fire truck is louder.
Travel with PLENTY of black duct tape, you'll use it for many things.
Keep your whistle wet, that's drink plenty of water. I usually drink 2-3 liters.
Be ready to improvise if needed. One of my puppet's eyes popped off during a show, and I had one of the other puppets say something like "Cool trick!".
Have fun and smile when you are performing, your audience will pick up on it.

I hope these help you on your way to many wonderful and memorable puppet shows.

Byn Always

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your advice!! Duct tape is definitely a must... thanks for the reminder! I've had a puppet eye pop out while filming and the girls were horrified. Even more so when I popped it back in, lol! They were like, "MOM! You're going to hurt BEAN!!" They couldn't even watch the final reworks of the puppet because it looked like I was performing surgery:smile: (and they're 11 & 14!)

And holy BEAN's do I have to drink SO Much water!!!

Terrence Burke

Reaction score
I tend to drink lots of water, and last year I had several outside shows.
Best ' luck with your shows! May starts a busy summer for me.

bluebomber95

Reaction score
Never be afraid to go off script, and never be afraid to address the fact that your character is a puppet. However, don't constantly mention that the character is a puppet because then it is distracting and since your show is educational, it might detract from the message.