Times Where Bert DOESN'T Fly off the Handle...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was just rewatching the classic skit where Ernie and Bert are searching the jungle for Dr. Livingston, to which Ernie asks him his very important question which turns out to be "What's up, doc?" like Bugs Bunny... even Bert thought that was funny, as the doc moaned "This jungle's full of jokers!"

Seems strange to see Bert actually not fly off the handle at Ernie's antics, which got me to thinking about other times where Bert doesn't fly off the handle. One other time I can remember is Ernie organizing his toys, and showing Bert how easier it is for him to find them, as he carelessly tosses them out of the chest across the apartment, to which Bert simply looks at the camera and says "Well, it's the thought that counts."

MJTaylor

Reaction score
There was also the time when Ernie made a shopping list out of chocolate pudding. It ended with Bert saying to the viewers, "Well, he's improving. Last time he used spagetti sauce."

Drtooth

Reaction score
Considering songs and sketches without Ernie don't count (though he did freak out sorta in that one about Simon Soundman)... it is a rare occurrence. I really like the one from a couple years ago when Bert had sort of a preemptive strike when Ernie wanted to sing the "Ding-a-long Song" and Bert calmly through the whole thing sat there with the "I'm not going to enjoy it" feeling... then after everyone leaves the room he starts happily singing it to himself.

Seems in every other game he at least gets a little annoyed with Ernie.

Plus, I think Bert acted pretty calm in the "In My Book" remake, considering there was a Tiger and a Pirate behind him. All I can remember is his eyebrow raising a little.

sweetpig

Reaction score
Then there's the one where Ernie is playing the Follow The Arrow game, and Bert turns out to like it so much he's laughing and eager to continue playing because he thinks there is a pigeon at the end of the arrow trail. Bert was extremely laid-back in that one too!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I also love how Bert goes from acting all annoyed with Ernie, but then eventually comes around to liking and really getting into Ernie's game or song, etc. (sometimes even more so than Ernie!)
The Rhyming Game particularly comes to mind- "Hey there lamppost- that's a nice shade. You. It's not the same...":frown::stick_out_tongue:

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Along the same lines of the Rhyming Game, the other day I watched the sketch where Ernie works out to a radio program. After initially thinking it was better to just watch Ernie while he waited for "Pigeons in the News" to come on the radio, Bert ends up liking the jumping bit so much that he jumps all over the place so excitedly that he totally ignores the pigeon program which comes on right after the exercise show.

PuppetRebel

Reaction score
Watched a skit where Ernie played an echo game with Bert with the drums. Ernie would play a few beats and Bert would say them back. Ernie would make them harder and harder until he played something that you thought to yourself "There's no way he'll get that!" But Bert says the whole thing and for once Ernie doesn't want to play any more. It finishes with Bert saying "Well, I can't lose them all!"

mr3urious

Reaction score
Bert remains relatively mellow in the Great Adventures segments.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Bert seems to take it well whenver Ernie pulls Bert's nose off. He does react disaprovingly, but still, he doesn't lose his temper over it.

Also, if you compare the sketch where Ernie paints a portrait of Bert and the one where Ernie makes a clay bust of Bert, Bert overreacted to the painting having things Bert doesn't have (facial hair and glasses), while he was rather calm about the bust not having a nose.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Bert seems to take it well whenver Ernie pulls Bert's nose off. He does react disaprovingly, but still, he doesn't lose his temper over it.
Well, it might be hard for Bert to yell at that point, considering his voice does sound stuffy without his nose.

Also, if you compare the sketch where Ernie paints a portrait of Bert and the one where Ernie makes a clay bust of Bert, Bert overreacted to the painting having things Bert doesn't have (facial hair and glasses), while he was rather calm about the bust not having a nose.
Yeah. Bert did overreact about the painting thing. But his rant was mainly that he had other things to do that day and he didn't want to sit still for Ernie's painting only to have it ruined like that. I guess the day Ernie made that statue, Bert didn't have anything better to do. Maybe I'm reading too much into this. Lol.