Three questions about modern Sesame Street

Drtooth

Reaction score
Boobah is designed to get kids off the couch, jumping and moving..... for the remote! Target had scads of these stupid toys gathering dust even AFTER clearance. Teletubbies hasn't been popular since Jerry Fow-well said what he said about tinky-tinky or whatever his name was. And it wouldn't have been popular if he kept his mouth shut. And Jay Jay... I have no idea what the heck it is or where it came from. But it's reminicent of those other shows that ripped off Thomas the Tank Engine.

Now, Those are what I cannot stand. Those are the reason SS is the way it is. Those shows are garbage put on the air only for lazy parents to plop their kids in front of the TV. They had to mold SS unfortunately around that, but at least with SS, it still is high quality, compaired to this at least.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Boobah is designed to get kids off the couch, jumping and moving..... for the remote! Target had scads of these stupid toys gathering dust even AFTER clearance. Teletubbies hasn't been popular since Jerry Fow-well said what he said about tinky-tinky or whatever his name was. And it wouldn't have been popular if he kept his mouth shut. And Jay Jay... I have no idea what the heck it is or where it came from. But it's reminicent of those other shows that ripped off Thomas the Tank Engine.

Now, Those are what I cannot stand. Those are the reason SS is the way it is. Those shows are garbage put on the air only for lazy parents to plop their kids in front of the TV. They had to mold SS unfortunately around that, but at least with SS, it still is high quality, compaired to this at least.
Still agreeing w/ you on this subject. If they could either shut them up w/ all this garbage on PBS but whats there to do w/ all the parents around the world who give theses stupid ideas to PBS or whoever give them thoses ideas and all. Just give Elmo his own 30 mintue show and we'll give this subject a shut down. I heard that in other counties they do have an Elmo World own show and all. They need to do it here too. Don't you agree?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Hmmm. In response to the previous posts, I don't know. It's sort of hard to imagine the show without Susan, Gordon or Bob. They were the humans that were on the show the most when I watched it growing up. Also, Maria, Luis and David were on quite a bit as well. As for Carroll Spinney, he said that he would perform Big Bird and Oscar until he is no longer able, so hopefully he'll be around a while. I don't think I'm ready to have Matt perform Big Bird full time yet. I still don't think Big Bird sounds quite right in the Journey to Ernie sgements. Also, they haven't really got a replacement for Oscar. John Tartiagola performed him in the Sesame Street 4D thing, but I guess other than that he was performed by Carroll. I have often wondered what would happen if the humans (Bob, Susan, Gordon, etc.) were no longer able to be on the show. They'd probably have to take out Trash Gordon. I guess they could replace Gordon again if they had to. After all, if Matt Robinson was still playing Gordon when he died they might have done that or wrote his death into the show. I don't know what would happen if Bob McGrath died. I guess he hasn't been on the show quite as much as he used to be so he might just be writen out or maybe they would say that he moved like they did with David. Just a few thoughts I had. I really hope this doesn't happen any time soon. Hopefully, Bob McGrath, Roscoe Orman and the rest of the human cast will be around for a long time.

DTF

Reaction score
Interesting subject. I'm helping a friend write a "Full HOuse: Next Generation" fanfic and we were just discussing what kids' shows were on. We figure it's almost certain thaat there will be an Elmo's World 30-minute show by then - and that the deaths/aging of human characters might meant hat that "becomes" SS. In other words, Big Bird, Bert & Ernie, Oscar, etc. still appear from time to time. Also, there would be SS reruns a la Mr. Rogers Neighborhood now.

I don't think adding more muppets is a good idea, though, b/c I suspect it was much easier to have plenty of characters that are familiar when there were 100-200 episodes or whatever a year. 26 is the number you'd see in a verally popular sitcom. And, most of those only have 8-10 main ones at the most. If they were to put it back at 100 episodes then you could have many more muppets.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
What do you like and dislike about modern Sesame Street?

I like the fact that SS has brought back the classic characters, more Cookie, Grover, Count, Oscar, Big Bird, Ernie, Bert...however, I miss the style of the old sketches. Journey to Ernie, and the new format for educational sketches aren't as creative as they used to be. They are stale and stagnant. I wish they'd bring back the days of old and begin doing fun and funny sketches along with educational sketches. They were great then. Now, it's too formatted and boring, and the kids likely feel the same way.

What would you do to make the show better?

Keep the use of the Classic Characters rolling! That is the best thing they've done in a long time! Start doing sketches like they did in the old days, not just about education, but stuff that's also just for plain entertainment. I also liked how the show used to be formatted and was more variety and more 'commercial-like.'

Where do you predict the show will be ten years from now?

On PBS.

salemfan

Reaction score
I would like to see:
*Far more than 26 episodes
*More clips, specifically old ones(however, I loved many of the new season 35 clips such as Dr. Feel, Baby Talk, Joe Hundred Guy, and TriangleBob TrianglePants
*The show switched back to its pre-season 33 format

Censored

Reaction score
Well, since I initiated this thread, I guess I should answer it as well:

What do I like about modern Sesame Street?

If I had to say something good about the current show, I guess it's that they have not completely abandoned old characters and old skits.

What would I do to make the show better?

Bring back the old format and revive all of the old skits and street scenes, one way or another, either through reruns or DVD.

Where do I see the show ten years from now?