Threadless Muppet T-Shirt Design Challenge

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I saw one t-shirt design which is a parody of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I think that one is my favorite (and not just because it's the only oen I've seen where Lips is included). But there is one character right next to Sam the Eagle who I can't quite tell who it is... I think it might be Gladys, but the color is off (then again, on the same image Lips is colored green). Or maybe it's the feather boa from the opening number from the Twiggy episode.

If I were to submit a design, I'd make sure I didn't include anybody I know aren't owned by Disney, but I'd take a chance with including some Jim Henson Hour characters (it seems unclear as to whether Disney owns them. I would expect Disney to, and Disney did include Waldo in the most recent Muppet Vinymation series, but for some reason Boom! couldn't include them in Muppet Snow White).

dwmckim

Reaction score
I still think the people at Boom took out some of the JHH characters not so much out of any knowledge that Disney didn't own them but more the fear that they may not and erred on the side of caution.
In all honesty, some characters/puppets could be said to be under the providence of either and a case could be made for either parent. Basically, if someone presents a good arguement with cited specific examples as to why a puppet/character is indeed a "Disney" Muppet, they can accept it. Heck, that's what us obsessed Muppet Freaks are for - being able to keep track of every odd character when the suits at Disney don't know them all.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I still think the people at Boom took out some of the JHH characters not so much out of any knowledge that Disney didn't own them but more the fear that they may not and erred on the side of caution.
In all honesty, some characters/puppets could be said to be under the providence of either and a case could be made for either parent. Basically, if someone presents a good arguement with cited specific examples as to why a puppet/character is indeed a "Disney" Muppet, they can accept it. Heck, that's what us obsessed Muppet Freaks are for - being able to keep track of every odd character when the suits at Disney don't know them all.
That's true. It will eventually change seeing that so many minor classic characters were recreated for the movie.

Digit and Leon were high on my list of potential characters that got cut. Seymour, Big Mean Carl, Van Neuter, Polly, Clueless, Andy, Randy, Nigel the producer, Zippity Zap and Jowls from Muppets Tonight were also cut. Mulch, Fletcher Bird, Behemoth, Fleet Scribbler, Gladys, the Mutations, Gorgon Heap, J. P. Grosse, Zelda Rose, her Singing Owl, Shakey Sanchez, Wayne, Wanda, Beautiful Day Monster, Annie Sue, Timmy Monster, Vendaface, Merdlidops, Hilda, Hugga Wugga and assorted Muppet vegetables were all on the list that got slimmed down. Miss Mousey, however, never stood a chance. :wink:

I saw one t-shirt design which is a parody of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. I think that one is my favorite (and not just because it's the only oen I've seen where Lips is included). But there is one character right next to Sam the Eagle who I can't quite tell who it is... I think it might be Gladys, but the color is off (then again, on the same image Lips is colored green). Or maybe it's the feather boa from the opening number from the Twiggy episode.

If I were to submit a design, I'd make sure I didn't include anybody I know aren't owned by Disney, but I'd take a chance with including some Jim Henson Hour characters (it seems unclear as to whether Disney owns them. I would expect Disney to, and Disney did include Waldo in the most recent Muppet Vinymation series, but for some reason Boom! couldn't include them in Muppet Snow White).
I think that pseudo-Gladys-looking character in that person's shirt is supposed to be a Muppaphone.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I think Miss Mousey's been banned from Disney anyway. They don't want any potential spoiler to Mickey and Minnie's all-is-fine-for-the-press relationship.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was really careful and totally on the fence about the Java Muppet inclusions, but they had a featured segment on The Muppet Show so they should be safe. I drew the line with the Jim Henson Muppet out of fear that he'd have to be removed. My 70 characters/beings included:

(spoiler ahead)
Yeah, I mean, if the Java Muppets were off limits, Mahnah Mahnah would probably be off limits too, since he also predated the show.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Remember those two Muppet Show posters that were "cast photos" that were essentially just a whole bunch of seperate protos of Muppets photoshopped together? Did those come out before or after Muppets were Disney (and if before, i think the same collage has been reused for other pieces of merchandise since). The Java Muppets are on there ... as are the Country Trio. If they're on an official piece of Muppet merchandise since the Disney sale, that sets a good precident for being considered a Disney Muppet and fair game to use elsewhere as such.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Remember those two Muppet Show posters that were "cast photos" that were essentially just a whole bunch of seperate protos of Muppets photoshopped together? Did those come out before or after Muppets were Disney (and if before, i think the same collage has been reused for other pieces of merchandise since).
They came before.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Palisades' Jim Henson puppet action figure had to go through the Henson Company and the Henson Foundation too. It was very tricky (and I think expensive too). That whole situation was odd. If you have one - hold onto it! It ain't likely to happen again. As for his image on posters...i think there's a fuzzy area. But full out featuring Jim Henson imagery would cause some eyebrow raising at legal.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Which is disappointing, since there are a lot of sweet looking images with Henson on them. Stuff that makes you go, "Awwwwww"

Out of all the parody designs, I'm REALLY loving the Hangover one, and oddly enough, I'm not a huge Hangover fan. Maybe because it's the only parody one that ties into Friendship without being a dated Friends parody...

beaker

Reaction score
I have a feeling the wallet photo one might win. I think what will probably win is NOT parody stuff but more simple/unique