This is probably why we didn't have comic news

Drtooth

Reaction score
But why do you feel the Muppet's comic future rises and falls with Roger? Has Amy's fill in role as artist, and all the story fable spinoffs not shown the franchise can go on without any of his involvement?
I definitely don't think it does or doesn't, actually. But I can see both possibilities. Retiring the comic after he leaves out of respect or getting another writer and artist to continue the comic. Somehow, I actually want to see another Muppet series rise out of that... something that always takes them out of the theater and utilizes Muppets Tonight characters. That's what I always liked best about the Classics series over the Muppet Show... that's where Pepe, Sal and Johnny shined through. Still, I wish VanNeuter was in one of these.

I would love to see the comics continue with another writer... I'm actually pressing for it. Most comic series have multiple writers anyway. The only concern is would the new writer feel obligated to copy Roger's style or would he be free to go on and do his/her own thing? I'd hope the latter. Copying implies labor intensiveness... the exact opposite of a natural flow. The comics were great because Roger embodied the Muppet Show and did it his own way. I'd love to see the next writer be that free yet stick to the spirit of the series.

Roger shouldn't be the end all be all. I'd welcome new writers and artists.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I like what Roger and most of the other artists did with the Muppet comics, but I also think there are plenty of talented people out there who can rise to the occasion. We've seen the great work these people have contributed and more of the same would be nice, but I'd like to see more from completely different teams of people. These Langridge comics will always serve as a guide for other artists.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I picked up the first issue of Rescue Rangers and I have some not that great news. There isn't so much an interview of what to expect in coming months... just a bunch of Disney and Disney afternoon based TPB covers in the coming soon section.

Good news? The Rescue Rangers comic is (ad Monty would put it) Bonzer!

G-MAN

Reaction score
They didn't have it at the comic shop I went to, there wasn't even a slot for it. Also, that's a shame about the Muppet Show Comic, I was enjoying that

beaker

Reaction score
I definitely don't think it does or doesn't, actually. But I can see both possibilities. Retiring the comic after he leaves out of respect or getting another writer and artist to continue the comic. Somehow, I actually want to see another Muppet series rise out of that... something that always takes them out of the theater and utilizes Muppets Tonight characters. That's what I always liked best about the Classics series over the Muppet Show... that's where Pepe, Sal and Johnny shined through. Still, I wish VanNeuter was in one of these.

I would love to see the comics continue with another writer... I'm actually pressing for it. Most comic series have multiple writers anyway. The only concern is would the new writer feel obligated to copy Roger's style or would he be free to go on and do his/her own thing? I'd hope the latter. Copying implies labor intensiveness... the exact opposite of a natural flow. The comics were great because Roger embodied the Muppet Show and did it his own way. I'd love to see the next writer be that free yet stick to the spirit of the series.

Roger shouldn't be the end all be all. I'd welcome new writers and artists.
Oh bro, I'm so with you! I want a new ongoing or mini series OUTSIDE of the theater...heck, have the theater imploded in the first panel by a tycoon who bought the property or Crazy Harry.
And yeah its about time we get Pepe, Bobo, Johnny, Sal, Carl, etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I realized that The Muppet Show Comic Book (trying hard not to use the term canon here) is supposed to take place DURING The Muppet Show. In other words, the events PRIOR to Muppets Tonight, and therefore characters like Clifford, Pepe, Sal and Johnny didn't meet the characters yet. The Andy and Randy issue actually seems to hint strongly at that, as they're just visiting, and none of the other characters have suffered through them yet. It strongly hints that Kermit only knew them from stories, rather than when they worked on MT and experienced their idiotic stunts first hand.

I will say that Pepe cameo in the arches of that one issue was a fluke.

That said, if they decide to end TMSCB, I'd love for some sort of more modern Muppet comics... have the right blend of classic characters with Johnny, Sal, Carl, VanNeuter... guys like that. They only really exist in the Classics series.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Boom was lucky to find RL and his writing and art is a lot of what made TMSCB a success - but it was never "Roger Langridge's The Muppet Show". The first issues didn't sell out because it was RL, but because it was TMS. The comic should continue with other writers/artists. Heck, just as Amy/Shelli occassionally contributed guest art, there was always the possibility with each arc that there could be a guest writer or someone other than RL. I don't want to take anything away from RL's brilliant job, but TMS is a title that really should have a variety of people working on it and i heartily say bring 'em on! The talent's out there. You know what would be a cool issue? One written by Jim Lewis. He provides council to the various people writing Muppet comics anway and he has lots of experience writing for Muppets in print media. The issue could be advertised as "special issue written by Muppet writer Jim Lewis"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly. He may have made the comic special, but if they decide to keep the comic going, I'm sure they could find an adequate new writer. A LOT of adapted comics have multiple staff writers and different artists... many times in the same issue.

Though I will say, when Dan Slott left Ren and Stimpy comics (relatively early on) the rest of the run was increasingly terrible (with a few exceptions). Sometimes even WORSE than the Non-John K episodes at the end of the show's run.

I don't see things resorting to that, and i hope whoever's next in line doesn't feel he needs to try to clone Roger's style (of writing OR art). That was one of the reasons Robin Hood looked so off... they actually wanted it to look like Roger's style. it didn't. It looked like someone trying to copy Roger in their own style.