The 'What Do You Do For A Living/What Do You Study' Thread

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
why does everyone say that? It's getting really old.

Middle schoolers really arent that bad. I don't understand why people think they are demon spawn

charlietheowl

Reaction score

Middle schoolers really arent that bad. I don't understand why people think they are demon spawn
It's certainly not that they're demon spawn, but (based on my experiences working at an after school program over the past three years) that can be a pretty volaitile age group with puberty and all. I've worked with some kids who will look at your like they're your best friend one month and then the next month curse you up and down like it's nothing. For the most part it's been a positive experience for me, but I just think that you would need a lot of patience to work with that age group and deal with the changes, that's all.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score

My mom worked at my old middle school last year. She said that every kid was either "really nice" or "really mean". But trust me, high school kids can be way more cruel than middle schoolers.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
But thats just it, I have been working with these students and I dont see any of this

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
But thats just it, I have been working with these students and I dont see any of this
I guess different towns, different ways. I mean, the definition of my home town on UrbanDictionary should more or less set the tone for our schools:
A small town on the Hudson river in Westchester County. It's 2.5 square miles and filled with stuck up brats who have gone to school together since Kindergarten. A boring place to live filled with losers.
I have no idea how the schools are now, but a quick Facebook check shows they are just as cliquey and cruel there as they were when I was there. I guess you are at a lucky school. :stick_out_tongue:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I work at a library - I love being around books! And I also do freelance writing - I write about 4 articles a day. I still hold to my childhood pipe dream of working for Henson or Disney, though. Even if all I did was buy coffee for everybody, I could still say, "I brought them their coffee while they were working on such-and-such movie!"

TSSD

Reaction score
But trust me, high school kids can be way more cruel than middle schoolers.
Really? Maybe 9th graders, but I normally find that by high school kids have matured a little more, and the just plain meanness isn't half as bad.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I am a teacher's aide at a private preschool AND a senior in college. My major is art (formerly child development), and hopefully I will start getting some of my work into galleries next year :smile:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------------
Aspiring pro writer (yes, already published, but long long ago and in a magazine far far away and not my full name...yeah THAT sort of mag) and, currently, working as a senior caregiver for a caregiving organization. It's never boring, at least...

Watch out with those arts degrees, folks...I have one too...
----------------------

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I'm not too worried about my choice to major in art - I'm already set to start teaching preschool full time. But I know what you mean, I've known a lot of people who got a degree in art and nothing came of it.