The Swedish Chef

lili

Reaction score
In one of Brian Henson's TMS intros, he tells a story about how a swedish businessman saw an episode of the muppet show and wrote in to inform them that the swedish chef was NOT ACTUALLY SPEAKING SWEDISH (or any other scandinavian language). Jim Henson wrote back saying that they were very shocked, and were going to fire the Chef on the spot, but he promised he would take Swedish lessons so they kept him on.

Oh, and i think you spell snuffy's name Aloysius. according to my baby name book (a must for every aspiring writer), it means "famous in war".

hey, maybe we should start a thread of what all the muppetty names mean!

dmx10101

Reaction score
lili said:
In one of Brian Henson's TMS intros, he tells a story about how a swedish businessman saw an episode of the muppet show and wrote in to inform them that the swedish chef was NOT ACTUALLY SPEAKING SWEDISH (or any other scandinavian language). Jim Henson wrote back saying that they were very shocked, and were going to fire the Chef on the spot, but he promised he would take Swedish lessons so they kept him on.

Oh, and i think you spell snuffy's name Aloysius. according to my baby name book (a must for every aspiring writer), it means "famous in war".

hey, maybe we should start a thread of what all the muppetty names mean!
I remember seeing that episode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I recall hearing about an episode where Sam the Eagle or someone repremands the Chef for speaking mock Swedish, and makes him speak his NATIVE language.... Mock Chinese!

Fighbird

Reaction score
lili said:
In MFC he actually talks a little bit scandinavian: When he first arrives, his greeting is "Glaeeele Jüüül", which sounds very close to the danish version of "Merry Christmas": "Glædelig Jul". :smile:

Any swedes or norwegians to comment on this? :big_grin:

BorkBork

Reaction score
That's right. He says that, and it is in deed danish. I am a swede, but swedes and danes understand eachother fairly good :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
beaker said:
Hey! Also, if you go through Unpaved I believe Cookie has a real name. And lo and behold the Count has one too!(Count von Count)
Cookie is a real name, but I've only heard it once as a ladies' name, which kinda makes me wonder about our fuzzy friend...

Count (title) von Count (name), so there should be a first name in there somewhere.

Squigiman

Reaction score
I am surprised no one mentioned this yet, as I feel it's true. Similar to Aloysius Snuffleupagus, isn't Cookie Monster Alistair Cookie. It really sounds familiar, possibly revealed in Monsterpiece Theater??? Just thought I'd bring this up, just in case it's true. Take care.

-Squigiman