The Son of Zorn thread

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I started watching this and while I had mixed feelings about the pilot, the third episode was hilarious, especially Zorn's little feud with the hot sauce.

Can't wait for the next episode in two weeks.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It's hinted at that Edie still has some feelings for Zorn, as she learned how to temporarily stop her heart back on Zephyria, which she couldn't wait to use as a sick party trick. And Zorn has been trying to strike a balance between being a dad and being a best friend toward his son. Oh yeah, and another one of his weapons is used as a plot device again, which is always a plus.

Also, I'm surprised that "Eric's" number in the bathroom stall wasn't a 555 number. I bet calling it would just result in hearing a pre-recorded message related to the show.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I admit to getting some bad Cavemen vibes from tonight's episode, but I thought Zorn's offense toward Zephyrian stereotypes was handled much better, mainly because he showed some hypocrisy by proving those stereotypes true. Also gotta love the scene where he and Alan visit the "authentic" Zephyrian restaurant that was converted from a Mexican church, and the later scene with him showing Alan some authentic Zephyrian culture.

And the B-plot with Edie vs. the new neighbors' obnoxious talking garden gnome ended with her
revealing her monogrammed Zephyrian hammer that she uses to smash it to bits after the neighbors insulted her ex. I'm a sucker for hypocritical heartwarming moments like that. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cavemen was a very clumsily produced and written show, and I tend to agree if they did the same episode, it would have been poorly written and offensive outside its intent.

They really managed to make the show with in a show subtly terrible, and they really managed to get the nuance of how terribly sitcom character tokens/wacky broad stereotypes usually are. Especially 1990's gay friend characters, or basically everyone in Two Broke Girls. They really handled this episode well, showing Zorn being actually hurt and offended and basically turning it all on him. But to me, the key scene that took this episode from sitcomy to heartwarming was the end bit where the mother tells Allegulon why this stuff is important and the significance of everything that was just embarrassing. Also adding to his girlfriend being more offended by his actions than Zorn's culture.

And by the employee that felt bad about insulting Zorn taking him to the very same insulting ethnic restaurant as an apology. His reaction of "*&^& it, but this guy means well" was just delightful.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also, that ep. was written by Dan Mintz, who also executive produced SoZ.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Clones that manage to fool everyone but the viewer -- whether with robots or living beings -- were a frequent stock plot of '80s cartoons, and this episode managed to turn it on its head in a twisted way with Meka Zorn, as usual for this show. We also get to see some nice development between Zorn and Craig, and we also know that both his balding co-worker and boss are divorcees just like him. And it took the former to make Zorn realize that his jealousy of Craig seemingly one-upping his relationship with Alan was ridiculous.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Malfunctioning robots like that always strike a laughing nerve with me. Loved the part where the robot froze and they had to call his ex in because they thought he was having a stroke.

Also... Zorn's boss has some pretty surprising feelings about him.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I liked how Edie's mom is not only shown to get along poorly with Zorn, but that she also backhandedly insults Edie over her choosing to marry him, which she didn't take kindly to. There's also the part where
she would only give Alan the money for band camp on the condition that he would not be allowed to see his father again, for which I'm glad he rejected in the end to spend time with him in his apartment on Thanksgiving.

I also liked the Zephyria documentary she showed to Zorn that suggested he was really the bad guy in his kingdom. Hope we get to see a payoff with that soon.

mr3urious

Reaction score
With the new episode finally airing, we finally got to see more Zephyrians in the real world, and this time it's Zorn's old drinking buddy Headbutt Man and his homely daughter, the former clearly meant as a parody of Ram Man. Zorn gets really disappointed that Butt sobered up at the behest of his visiting human girlfriend, so he takes him to the pub where his co-workers are drinking, and that's when he goes back to his old habits. But I really liked how Zorn changed his tone and began to really worry about Butt once he revealed the real reason why he came to Earth:
It's because he had to see a neurologist who diagnosed him with severe brain damage, and one more blow to the head could kill him.
Butt eventually would recover again, but
a mistimed throw of a set of keys by Zorn may have killed him anyway.