The Son of Zorn thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
So far, this live-action/animated Fox sitcom is off to a good start. I like how Zorn isn't a fish-out-of-water and knows a good deal about Earth customs, and how his homeworld of Zephyria appears to be seen as just as ordinary as any other place on Earth. I also like how the ex-wife divorced Zorn not because she's a greedy, one-dimensional harpy, but because she wasn't the free-spirited youngster she once was and just decided to grow up and focus on her real-world future.

What I'm hoping for is for more of Zephyria to be explored and for Zorn's family to visit it so it doesn't just end up like another sitcom that just happens to star an animated character. Either way, I wish the best for SoZ and hope it gains a cult following like Bob's Burgers did.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was expecting this to be previewed at 9:30 and wound up missing it.

My biggest concern is that it's a parody of He-Man, and as far as 80's nostalgia goes, that's kinda on the way out if it wasn't already. I really hope that the target audience can get behind a parody of 80's cartoons and this can last a good while, or at the very least a season or two. It genuinely looks a crapload better than most 80's parody sketches, and it seems that it has a depth to it. I'm very excited for the show's proper premier.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
My parents and I just watched the pilot. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting to. I think my parents enjoyed it even more because they were fans of He-Man back in the 80s. They laughed pretty hard at a lot of the dark humor.

Frankly, I hope they gradually begin to phase out the whole story about Zorn's ex-wife. That part of the show is pretty uninteresting in my opinion. Although, I understand that they have to establish those things because it's the pilot.
However, there are a few things involving his ex-wife that I hope they delve into a bit more as the series progresses. I would like to see what kind of relationship they used to have because, obviously it couldn't have been a normal one.

The scenes with Zorn and his son are where the show really seems to shine.

All in all it was a good start, and I hope that they use all story lines to their full potential. I think there's a lot of story possibilities with both Zorn's family and the characters back on his world, Zephyria.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm actually a fan of He-Man, not so much because I grew up with it (it was there when I was a child, but on its way out when I would have been old enough to appreciate it, but because I watched it as an adult and enjoyed it on a camp value. Skeletor has become one of my favorite villains from the 80's.

By the way. This isn't the first time Fox attempted a live action/animated hybrid sitcom. First to come to series, maybe, but there was another.

Which didn't get to series, and I can see why. Fox was a fledgling network at the time, hence The Simpsons's fast rise to fame, and why most of everything that wasn't that, Tracy Ulman, Married with Children, and for the cult fan, Get a Life was completely forgotten.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I found the 2nd episode to be more enjoyable this time around, mainly because one of the animated elements becomes relevant to the plot, being used to spy on the son of Zorn's love interest as well as by Zorn himself to spy on his ex. Said item felt more reminiscent of the Sword of Omens from Thundercats rather than anything from He-Man.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit. Even if this was a normal sitcom and the ex-husband was a regular human and not a cartoon and pastiche of Thundarr, He-Man, and Lion-O, this would be a very good sitcom, better than most on the other 3 major networks (CBS to be sure). But that's what gives the show the extra zing. What a perfect metaphor for someone who wasn't emotionally mature enough to handle a marriage but to make them a Barbarian from a mystical world? Someone out of touch with reality? Perfect way to get the point across. And I like how the animation extends to all his personal artifacts, so he's not the only cartoon thing in the show.

snichols1973

Reaction score
The "Defender of Teen Love" episode guest starred Ellen Wong (a.k.a. Scott Pilgrim's Knives Chau) as Alan's girlfriend Nancy....

mr3urious

Reaction score
SoZ is really starting to prove itself with episode #3. We get a great A-plot with Alan struggling to defend himself against a bully, and an amusing B-plot with Zorn getting back at a delivery man for stealing a bottle of hot sauce from the break room. The former provides some nice character development for Zorn's son, while the latter shows Zorn's occasional bouts of immaturity and lack of restraint. It was a bit of a slow start, but it all paid off beautifully. :smile:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Y'know what I wanna see? I want to see a parody of She-Ra on the show and see how Zorn interacts with her. Since we already know he's immature and a bit of a misogynist, it would be interesting to see how he feels about a sister who could be potentially just as powerful or even more powerful than him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure in time we'll see more layers of the Thundercats/He-Man/Thundarr parody pulled away. It's one of those show longevity vs. potential things going on here. They already seem to have him bring up the Skeletor/Mum-Ra expy in his speech last night. Some sort of vulture based villain.

What really made the show turn on a dime was the reveal that

The son is actually half animated from the waste down, which is why he refused to wear shorts or swim trunks