The Roger Rabbit Thread

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
There has been some Roger discussion over in the Ken thread so I'm starting a new thread to keep that one on topic.

Just got my Mediom Roger , Benny and Jessica figures and they are incredible. They are not totally to scale with each other and they are not articulated, but they are absolutely amazing. The best non-Muppet/non-Palisades stuff I've seen. Defintely the best Roger Rabbit vinyl representations out there. I'll post a picture later on.:smile:

Misfit Toy

Reaction score
Woo-Hoo!! Roger Rabbit!!!!

Show us some pics, Jamie! I haven't seen those figs yet!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Jessica is 9.5 inches tall, Roger is 7.5 inches (with his ears), Benny is only three inches tall, but he's 5 inches long in profile so a regular Roger mini PVC can right inside. The tail of the mini Roger makes it a tight fit, but it's still cool. The detail is fantastic. These are the movie characters, not some artist's version. Great stuff.

Click Me!
(Promotional photos that I cropped together):smile:

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Those are cool! A few weeks ago, my roomates boyfriend brought me a tape from a friend of his that was supposed to have some Muppet Baby episodes on it. However, I could not find them but there was a making of Roger Rabbit thing on it so I was excited to watch that instead. I loved seeing how they made it. It was just really interesting! And I know I'm behind a bit behind but as soon as I have the money, I'll be buying the dvd, I can't wait!

Misfit Toy

Reaction score
Pretty cool Jamie, but those whiskers on Roger just don't sit right with me...ah well.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yup. Amazing film. I still marvel at it and the animated interactive menus on the new DVD show how modern technology still has nothing on the film. The computer animated Benny on the DVD is cute, but rather lifeless. The voice is the only thing that gives the character a personality. Traditional animation will always have a unique edge that can't be generated by a computer. To me, it's like the difference between an oil painting and a photograph. Both are great, but one can never really be the other.

The figures were expensive. They were gifts that traveled all the way from Singapore and took a month to get here! But totally worth it. Better figures of this sort will not be made. I've seen some cool stuff from Disneyland, but not large-scale singular figures of this quality. They even remembered to paint Roger's back pants' patch green!:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Misfit toy

Oooh. Almost forgot to say that the whiskers are not as the appear in the photo. Those are drawn in by some artist. The whiskers are actually very thin (like fishing wire, but black). THey are rooted in the plastic. It looks absolutely perfect. Never have I seen it represented better.:excited:

Misfit Toy

Reaction score
I hear ya on the CG Benny...okay voice but it was lifeless.

A real treat for me was FINALLY getting to put faces to the names, especially Charlie Fliesher and most importantly Richard Williams(!!!). I love that guy. I really got a kick out of how much they emphasized that there were NO computers used! WOO-HOO you tell 'em, people! Traditional, HAND-DRAWN cells can never replace a computer rendering...with the exception of Gollum I've never been blown away by CG, no matter how good it gets it's still just CG. All questions answered, ya know?

My fav part of the making-of was how Richard Williams was so insistant about letting the camera move freely.
"Isn't that harder? Well yeah, but everyone who decides not to do so is lazy.":big_grin:

I'm really loving the DVD, almost as much as my Nightmare Before Christmas DVD. Whatta treat that movie was, there'll never be anything like it again.

Misfit Toy

Reaction score
Re: Misfit toy

Originally posted by frogboy4
Oooh. Almost forgot to say that the whiskers are not as the appear in the photo. Those are drawn in by some artist. The whiskers are actually very thin (like fishing wire, but black). THey are rooted in the plastic. It looks absolutely perfect. Never have I seen it represented better.:excited:
Really?

Then maybe I will have to give these a second look...any other links?

Thanks man!