The RHLC!

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
Muppet Newsgirl & Nekoshema - They sound like some really kewl and poignant dreams too! I also love the image of Richard with Scooter on his arm in the woods to comfort you. It kinda reminds of a story I heard from a fan on one of the early MuppetCast's where when this guy was a kid, he got to go to Elstree studios where The Muppet Show was being filmed. Richard was in one of the back rooms or something to that effect and the guy got to talk to him and Scooter who Richard had on his arm at the time! I couldn't help but think to myself "AWW MAN! I wish I was born years earlier or something so I could've possibly gotten to go to an infamous 'Richard Hunt Tour' and get to talk to him AND Scooter! Would've been so great! *sigh*

Jessica Max Stein, she who did the zine about Richard, just did a very sweet interview with Jerry Nelson. I don't have the link on me at the moment, but just type in her name in the search engine and her site should come up. But it's very sweet, and very funny, too - stuff about Jerry and Richard working together on Snuffy and the Two-Headed Monster, and living and working in London, and traveling, and life on Cape Cod. In fact, there's a back-lit photo of Richard (probably in the mid-1980s) sitting on the porch at his place in Truro, watching the sun set over the Cape Cod Bay - Jerry says that was Richard's favorite place to sit and read.
That's awesome! I gotta check that out. I absolutely love the zine she did! I've read it a lot so far! :smile:

analeisa

Reaction score
This is SO going in the group! haha
Oh, yay. I'm happy that my link got onto the Facebook group. I'm a proud member. :wink: Glad everyone else liked the link too.

wanted to name him Scooter, but Gir works too [Invader Zim if anyone knows of it] he's being an attention suck right now lol.
I do! I love Invader Zim. I also love cats. My family has two but a lot of strays end up coming to us anyway. We send them off to friends or the local animal shelter. Cats are funny because they do things (like give you attention) when they feel like it. :stick_out_tongue:

Anyway, everyone's dreams about Richard sound really poignant. This bit may sound weird... but I believed that spirits sometimes give winks nudges that they're still connected to us down on Earth. It seems to me that could true about Richard. Either way... cool dreams, all.

Jessica Max Stein, she who did the zine about Richard, just did a very sweet interview with Jerry Nelson. I don't have the link on me at the moment, but just type in her name in the search engine and her site should come up.
Oh, that's awesome. I adore her zine and wish I could to the events she gives about it. Anyway, yes, I read the interview and loved it. Jerry is amazing (Tough Pigs was right when they once said if puppeteering was like music, he'd be a Beatle) and it's so sweet to hear him talk about Richard. And, oh my, that back-lit photo of Richard is gorgeous. :smile:

Here's the review if anybody can't find it through searching: http://jessicamaxstein.com/2010/05/jerry-nelson-interview-part-i/#more-381

Nekoshema

Reaction score
thanks for the link. i was just about to look for it myself.

i believe in spirits, also, i believe dreams can help you out with problems. [using your own interpretations though] like a few recurring dreams i have every so many months, when i have the one with Jim Henson, i wake up in a great mood and all my problems seem to be gone. my dreams have gone to the bizarre side at the moment [it happens lol] but vivid and really believable [i woke up this morning and swore i found a golden ticket and had met a Fraggle... yes, odd] hopefully i'll dream about Richard or Scooter soon :wink:

edit: just read it, lol, the story with Richard going out to dinner, lol, i wish i could be as generous as him, but i'm broke. even as a kid i was very giving. it reminded me of last week my dad and my step mom took me out for dinner and she asked me what i'd do with a million dollars, i said first i'd buy mom a corvette, my dad cut me off and said 'no, what would you buy for YOURSELF.' i paused and answered, 'i'd pay off my student loan, then i guess i'd travel and give the rest the charity.' my dad turned to my step mom 'see? we'd have to give her the money 5$ a week so she wouldn't give it away to animal shelters and AIDS foundations.'

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Now what's wrong with giving money to animal shelters and AIDS foundations?

It's really amazing to read about how Richard was so generous - and not just with concrete things, like picking up the tab at dinner or buying little gifts and presents for everyone. It's also with heart - we've seen all the stories where he'd give other performers a pep talk (after roasting them a little, of course), or offering his shoulder to cry on to someone who was having a crisis.

Have any of you guys seen the FR episode, "The Grapes of Generosity?" In it, Gobo finds a bunch of said grapes, and intends to share them with the others (as they're supposed to), but instead ends up eating them all, and getting into trouble. I keep thinking back to that episode whenever the subject of Richard's boundless generosity comes up - if those grapes were real, Richard probably would have had a whole vineyard of them.

Back to the subject of pets: my family just got a new puppy, to be a playmate for Sonja, since we just lost one of our other dogs. Her name is Echo - and she's actually Sonja's little half-sister. They've got the same mom, but different dads.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
cute. [sorry to hear about your dog though]

haven't seen that FR episode, but you're right, Richard probably would have the vineyard. while reading it, i thought of the episode 'The Perfect Blue Rollie' where Wembley finds the blue rollie and gives it to Boober who locks it away in his hidie hole so nothing can happen to it and nearly dies trying to keep it for himself. [myself, i'd never go that far for stuff, but i'm not all that materialistic]

myself, i see nothing wrong with giving away to charities, i guess after almost 20 years [i guess 18 since i couldn't walk as a newborn :stick_out_tongue:] i was always holding doors open for people, giving money away [especially to these golden lab statues for seeing eye dogs lol] and i guess my dad's a little tired of me wandering off to help people. not too sure, i've just never been able to keep things for myself. i mean a couple sentimental things, but money, meh, just paper with a number. :wink:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Same here - when I was a kid, sometimes my parents would stop me from putting a large amount of money in the collection basket during Mass.

You know, the whole story with the blue rollie reveals something about us. The Fraggles love their rollies, which are shiny pebbles, but they're willing to share them. We have our obsessions with gems and precious stones - which are just glorified rocks - but we're not as willing to share them.

On a slightly different topic, I keep thinking back to something that Richard was quoted as saying in the book "Of Muppets and Men." It's when the gang was gathered for a tea break in the canteen, and one of the other crew brings over a huge dish of cherry cobbler and custard for everyone to share, and Richard's reaction was, "In America, you need a prescription to get stuff like that."

It's probably because I made a huge batch of blueberry cobbler earlier today - it is blueberry season around here, after all.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
You've read Of Muppets and Men? that's so cool, i found a copy my used book store can get in, but it'll cost me a bit over 100$ so i've called up all my friends and family and was like 'If you love me, you'll get me cash for this book for my birthday' [although if i can't wait, i might go nuts and buy it myself, even though i can't really afford it... i could order it now and pay them later... i just have to put a down payment...]

never had cobbler. some kind of dessert? i've heard of it, but never tried it.

rollies seem cool to me, but i'd probably give them away, they're just shiny rocks after all. there's only a handful of items i treasure for sentimental value :wink:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Cobbler? It's a dessert, fruit baked under a layer of biscuit dough. It's really good.

Yeah, "Of Muppets and Men" is really hard to come by. My copy came in through Amazon - but I've learned that for some items, Amazon can be hit-and-miss sometimes.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
well, to celebrate my new job, i think i'll order it in. since it's an old out of print book it'll take them a while [when i ordered in my River Phoenix biography it took about a month] so i should have enough by then. or perhaps the Richard Hunt book by Jessica Max Stein... crap, just remembered i ordered in two movies lol [one being MTM :wink:]

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Good call. It's good to treat yourself every now and then. The zine is available on Max's site, and it's also at the Bluestockings bookstore in New York. Since I live across the river in New Jersey, I picked my copy up in person on one of my forays into the city.

To all the RHLC members in the U.S., I wish everyone a happy 4th of July, which is actually being officially observed today. To all the other members, I hope everyone's having a great summer, except for those, like Marty, in the southern hemisphere, in which case I hope you're having a great winter. (A few winter winds would feel really good here right now.)