The RHLC!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh sorry, yeah Richard was talking about himself there. The speech was about Jim obviously but also the important things to remember in life. :wink:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh... You'll definitely need tissues Erin, unless you can screw those tears inside before they fall.
Sorry about the quote, just some random posting or thinking out loud given your journalistic pursuits MN.
Any updates on Nora vs. Scooter for your mortarboard? Eh, there's a full year for that. Let's just enjoy the time we got now. Cause believe you me, undergrad years are nothing compared to grad school.

Keep believing, keep pretending...... Do just what it is you've set out to do.....

Skye

Reaction score
I have only listened to the Richard speeches so far, but I really love them, too! They're cute, funny, sweet, deep, poignant, and everything in between. I loved when Richard was talking about Steve, too. :big_grin: That was rully great.

The part where Richard was talking about listening to the birds sing (and peonies, his fave flower... I noticed him say that, too) was really beautiful. That was probably my favorite part. So important to appreciate the things around you... never take them for granted. And how important it is to love people and forgive, as Jim always said. Definitely a lovely part as well. Richard was such a great person to choose for these speeches. They really are wonderful words.

I bet you'll rully love 'em when you get to listen to them too, Erin!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Btw, Richard also gives the "Muppet Music Medley Intro", in case anyone misses it!

I noticed the flower part too, which was particularly touching knowing what Amanda had said about the peonies at their home.

Absolutely, it is so important to notice everything around you and appreciate it. And to live in the moment, that's something I struggle with all the time. Trusting that the future will work itself out if you just do your best in the present. Clearly Richard did become "noticeably more spiritual." :smile:

Let's see what else...

I definitely got chills when I first heard his voice, he was a great choice for main speaker. I was pleasantly surprised at how long and meaningful his speeches were.

How Richard bought his Jim Henson shirt when he decided he wanted to be just like him, hehe! Everyone laughed at that! Lol

Richard's impression of Jim, "Hmm...maybe!" Lol

"Cooperation, you learned that on Sesame Street!" Yes we did, didn't we? That seemed to be his main goal when working on that show, to teach kids how to get along with each other, and I'm glad I was able to benefit from it. :smile:

And the part about how The Muppets bring out the adult in the child, and the child in the adult. Perfect, that's what I've been trying to put into words for ages! Maybe I'll use that as a signature at some point. :wink:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I've only listened to Richard's two speeches, "Simon Smith and his Amazing Dancing Bear," "Wemblin' Fool" and "Just One Person." But...wow.

Those were two beautiful speeches, and when Richard started to speak for the first time, I too felt a little bit of a pleasant chill. Those speeches really brought out Richard's pensive, quietly spiritual side. This man, known for being a gleefully manic cutup on the sets of the Muppet Show, also liked to spend a quiet day in the woods with just the songs of the birds...that's really touching.

I had to smile during "Simon Smith...," with Richard and Frank (as Scooter and Fozzie) exchanging some friendly banter inbetween verses, and I really got the chills during "Just One Person." Powerful.

I also liked those facts that Richard brought up, about pubs in England altering their hours around TMS's air times and the group of adults and kids in Sumatra gathered around the village's lone set to watch the Muppets. Really shows what kind of effect Jim and the gang had on the world.

Like I said...wow. Well done, Richard.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Loved the "Simon Smith" banter! One of those times when I really miss Frank, he's a brilliant performer.

"Just One Person," I knew it would be good, but it was even better than I imagined! After hearing so many different versions, it was great to heart Scooter take the lead. And when the audience started applauding, you really felt the magnitude of the moment. :smile: :wink:

My 2nd favorite part of the song is Steve bringing Wembley out saying, "Hi!" I laugh every single time, lol. And all the mentions of his outfit, hehe.

Speaking of Jim-inspired outfits, there are a few photos of the memorial service on this page:

http://www.ontheroadwithdavid.com/OnTheRoad/Henson.htm

Richard's in three of the photos. The last one, the one of the whole group...I have to admit, when I first saw it, I thought that was Jim on the end! Lol

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen those before. My favorite is the close-up of Scooter, Gobo and Wembley (with Richard, Jerry and Steve). The three of them do some rather nice harmony...and I guess that's the sort of scene you would see if one of the Fraggle holes ended up in the Muppet Theater.

It's kind of symbolic, almost, that Scooter got to start off "Just One Person." It shows that he's one of the most important members of the TMS cast and crew, not just the kid whose uncle owns the theater. I also noticed that Scooter's voice during the song is much closer to Richard's natural voice, in terms of pitch. Really shows that Scooter is Richard, and vice versa.

Steve definitely went all-out to be like Jim that day; he later complained that he looked like the Riddler in that suit. I like Richard's shirt, but I really can't tell what color it is. Someone said it's blue and purple, but it looks more like a forest green to me. Must be the lighting or something.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen those before. My favorite is the close-up of Scooter, Gobo and Wembley (with Richard, Jerry and Steve). The three of them do some rather nice harmony...and I guess that's the sort of scene you would see if one of the Fraggle holes ended up in the Muppet Theater.
On the other hand, there's the age old theory that Scooter's actually half human, half Fraggle! :smirk: :wink:

Well the shirt's pretty multi-colored looking, so you could all be right. ::shrugs:: Either way, it definitely looks like something Jim would wear!

I'm also glad to hear the performers had a "grrreat time!" recording vocal tracks (Muppet Music Medley Intro). It's not often that the behind the scenes works is as harmonious and fun as the fantasy appears.

UncleMatt'sBack

Reaction score
I've always been one to think that there are Fraggle holes leading to:

--Doc's workshop (DUH!)
--Fozzie's mom's cellar (DUH!)
--the Muppet Theatre
--Ernie & Bert's apartment

Apparently there's one to Mopatop's Shop too, if Gunge has popped up on there.

Either way, Scooter would have fit in well down at Fraggle Rock. I once was toying with a bit in one of my TMS outlines where he and Gobo would sing "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" as an opening number, wearing identical outfits and playing guitars. (Which means Gobo would have to be fitted for glasses...)

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh you mean that Scottish group's song? Lol, that would be interesting! :smirk: :wink:

That's true, MN, about the symbolism of Scooter taking the lead in the song. They never got too deeply into it on The Muppet Show, but I always find Scooter and Kermit's dynamic interesting. I didn't see the Muppet Show when it first aired, so all my first impressions of those characters came from the movies and Muppet Babies (and I'm not ashamed of that last part!) In the films, The Muppets are all very close to each other, very sentimental, particularly in MTM. Not that they're not that way on The Muppet Show, but as I found out, it's more complex.

I was kinda surprised to see what a brat Scooter was to Kermit in the 1st season (though a lovable one Lol). He was more like all the other crazies on the show. And you weren't really sure if he was for them or against them, he did seem to be spying for his Uncle occasionally. Yet somewhere along the way, Scooter seemed to decide he'd rather be like Kermit, than against him. He wanted to be controlling the chaos, rather than causing it. Or perhaps that was his intention all along, but he was just too afraid of rejection.