The Rainbow Connection (Muppets @ Disney World version)

BEAR

Reaction score
"The Rainbow Connection" is probably my favorite song of all time. It is a tune that is very close to me. I just recently found the mp3 recording of the version he sang with a young Raven Symone on the Muppets Go to Disney World special. It is so wonderfully touching the whole thing, but all I know is what I can hear. I don't ever remember watching this on television. I know that it has not been released at all (let's hope someday!), but would someone be able to explain to me, please, what happens, particularly in that scene with the song? Thanks. Also, if there is anyone out there that has a copy of this special on video or DVD and would be willing to make me a copy that would be a fabulous birthday present. No pressure!! lol. Thanks everyone for your help.

The Lovers, the Dreamers and Me,
Bryan:smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
*bump*

Please, if anyone has info on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!:smile:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I have a low quality copy of this special on CD at home. It's still very watchable though. And I do remember seeing "The Muppets at Walt Disney World" in 1990 as a child. Raven-Symone (then of "The Cosby Show" fame, later of "That's So Raven" fame) appeared on the special, as you said.
The way it started was that Kermit wanted to take the whole Muppet gang with him for his family reunion at the swamp. They did visit the swamp at first and sang a song with the frogs. When the Muppets find out that Kermit's swamp is right next to Walt Disney World, they all vote to go there and Kermit and Robin go after them. Kermit winds up chasing the rest of the gang all over Disney World, trying to convince them to come back for the rest of the Frog Festival. We get to see a lot of the famed park- with Gonzo and Camilla going off on their own through the laundromat somehow and the Electric Mayhem going off by themselves and winding up playing a song ("Rocking All Around the World") and Fozzie and his mom are there and Beauregard and Miss Piggy are off by themselves- they ride Splash Mountain together, I believe. Rowlf gets put in the dog pound and sings a song there. Statler and Waldorf show up riding on a carriage and sing a song. (My memory may off on some places, but I know all those characters were there)
Anyway, Kermit at some point gets all depressed because he can't find his friends, and I forgot to say earlier that they're all being chased by Charles Grodin, who portrays the security guard (yeah, the Muppets didn't exactly pay to get in- Animal sort of knocked over the gate and they went in!)
He's wandering by himself and feeling really sad that now he can't even find Robin who had gone off to do something. And Raven-Symone walks up and asks why he's feeling so sad and he tells her about his situation and (well, you can hear the dialogue on the MP3) The only other thing Raven says is: after Kermit's left "Too bad he left (or something like that) I was going to tell him it's not easy being green."

And Kermit eventually finds his friends, and they get to meet up with Mickey Mouse who tells the security guard that Kermit and the Muppets are friends of his and to let them go. The Muppets sing one last song together and they all go back for the rest of the Frog Festival (though Piggy's left stuck in the mud at the Chinese Theater, where the Hollywood walk of stars is. (She's trying to sign her name by a star.)

It's a great special and seems like a natural to get released on VHS and DVD now that Disney actually owns the Muppets! Maybe someday. In the meantime, if you'd like a copy of it, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out.:smile:

thefozz

Reaction score
I love this old special. In fact, I was about to start a thread on it, just to reminisce and see what every else thinks about it, and if anyone has it on tape, or if it will be commercially released, etc.

Looking at this special critically, though, it is essentially a 60-minute ad for Walt Disney World. It made sure to heavily promote all the attractions that were the latest thing at WDW at the time, so it's very out-dated in that sense. Given these factors, I would be very suprised if it was released commercially.

I love the old special, though. Anyone else have thoughts on it?

Gonzo14

Reaction score
I've heard the songs, but I;ve never actually seen it, it sounds awesome and I really hope it gets released soon.:wink:

thefozz

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
I've heard the songs, but I;ve never actually seen it, it sounds awesome and I really hope it gets released soon.:wink:
It is really good, especially if you're like me and a fan of BOTH the Muppets and Disney.

As for the songs, I think "Rockin' All Around The World" is one of my all-time favorites from Muppets TV specials, ranking right up there with "We Need A Little Christmas" (which I am naturally biased towards at this time of year :smile: )