The Plasticy Smell...

Drtooth

Reaction score
You think that's bad! Try collecting MUSCLES... I got my entire collection from a few people that had them for years, and they STILL smell like rotten plastic!!! :embarrassed:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I love the smell when Palisades muppet action figures are opened. The smell only is really present in the packaging for a while and sometimes on the actual figures too, it never lasts for more than a day and it has never made the whole room smell, this could possibly be because it is hotter here in Australia and sometimes I worry about the figures melting! lol

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
Ive found that if your room is really dry, the smell goes away quicker. I run a dehumidifier in the summer, to keep my room cooler and (duh) less humid. The smell seems to go away much more quickly when its dry, but nearly the opposite when it is humid.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
BigDumbWookiee said:
Ive found that if your room is really dry, the smell goes away quicker. I run a dehumidifier in the summer, to keep my room cooler and (duh) less humid. The smell seems to go away much more quickly when its dry, but nearly the opposite when it is humid.
That must be why the smell doesnt stick around much here because its always pretty hot especially this time of year. It can get pretty humid too though. I need one of those humidifier things, what a great idea, I want one!

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
drspy00 said:
That must be why the smell doesnt stick around much here because its always pretty hot especially this time of year. It can get pretty humid too though. I need one of those humidifier things, what a great idea, I want one!
The only bad thing about dehumidifiers is that you constantly have to empty them. Some have adapters to hook them to drain hoses, but if that isnt plausible, you have to take the tank out and empty. During the summer I end up emptying mine about once a day.

WiGgY

Reaction score
BigDumbWookiee said:
The only bad thing about dehumidifiers is that you constantly have to empty them. Some have adapters to hook them to drain hoses, but if that isnt plausible, you have to take the tank out and empty. During the summer I end up emptying mine about once a day.
That's not bad considering it's an entire room worth of water. In the summer I crank up my AC on high 24/7. That also keeps the air dry. It's murder on the skin and throat though.

When I got series 2 Animal I was convinced that plastic smell was some kind of flu from China. When opening things made in China, it doesn't help to watch the Simpson's episode where Marge goes to jail for shop lifting. The Juice Loosener derived Oska flu makes you wonder about goods from other countries.

BigDumbWookiee

Reaction score
WiGgY said:
That's not bad considering it's an entire room worth of water. In the summer I crank up my AC on high 24/7. That also keeps the air dry. It's murder on the skin and throat though.

When I got series 2 Animal I was convinced that plastic smell was some kind of flu from China. When opening things made in China, it doesn't help to watch the Simpson's episode where Marge goes to jail for shop lifting. The Juice Loosener derived Oska flu makes you wonder about goods from other countries.
Or the Panda virus :wink:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Its funny you should say that about catching things from goods. Its extremely important to maintain hygeine and health procedures when preparing or packaging food but I often think that stuff we buy (non food items) like toys etc, we think they are clean but probably contain all kinds of germs, lol. Its a good thing we don't still put toys in our mouths.