The Official "I'm looking for/trying to remember a sketch" thread

ekmom

Reaction score
Hi! My First post. Can someone help? In the fall of 1978 I was staying with my parents recovering from Mono. One day I turned on Sesame Street and saw Snuffie singing the alphabet with I believe Pavarotti. (complete with tux) I laughed so hard I had tears pouring down my face. I would love to see a copy of that clip. Anyone have a site I can go to? My 18 year old daughter is currently recovering from Mono and I would love to play it for her. Thanks. Laurie (ekmom)

slai

Reaction score
Sesame Street sings the Alphabets of TV Vocabulary?

Hello! I'm new here because I figure someone here MUST know what I've been trying to remember for the past 25+ years or so!

I remember watching some awards show during the early 1980s where the entire cast of Sesame Street appeared and sung about the alphabet of TV vocabulary. I even recorded it on my brand spanking new VCR at the time and kept it for several years before my stupid younger self ERASED it for lack of videotape space since videotapes were somewhat expensive back then. I'm still very angry at my younger self for doing that.

I can't remember which awards show it was specifically, but I surmise is the Primetime Emmy Awards. I could be wrong though. I somehow also associate that appearance with a skit involving dancing accountants with their briefcases and a choir of game show hosts singing about the turmoils that comes with their job. I actually finally found a clip of the game show host choir from another videotape collector, but that's it!

The only other clue that I remember is that this appearance took place before Snuffy was 'outed' to the adults since Big Bird came on at the end of the segment looking for Snuffy which all the adults again didn't believe he existed. I'm not sure if this was also when Gordon, Linda, and Maria did believe Snuffy existed or not either, but my fuzzy memory think they did believe Snuffy was real and supported Big Bird's claims. Does anyone here have any information pertaining to this segment, and does a clip of it exist anywhere out there? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Sincerely,

Sonia

Wiseman

Reaction score
One of my faves

One of my favorite clips from the old-school Sesame Street is one where Bert turned on the TV set and a letter H was on the screen. The set just showed the H over and over again and a monotone announcer's voice kept repeating "H" over and over again. Bert started complaining about the obvious boringness of the show and Ernie came out and tried to fix it. After turning a few knobs and getting nowhere he suddenly did something totally surreal and reached inside the set and pulled out a huge helping of items that started with the letter H. Bert looks on in amazement and tries to figure out how Ernie is doing this. Then when he is done he adjusts the set some more and the same show comes on, only now the letter is I. Bert actually likes this show and thinks it's exciting (go figure). Ernie wants to try to fix it again but never gets to as the sketch ends here. I imagine that if we were to prolong the sketch the set would eventually have gone through the entire alphabet from H to Z and then started up again at A, finally stopping and being completely fixed at G. Does anyone know where this sketch might be?

Wiseman

Reaction score
yes

YeaH tHat's it. Great to see tHis again. I Had forgotten about Harry tHe Hamster, wonder How He survived in one of tHose old-fasHioned TV sets witH tHose HigH-radiation catHode ray tubes.:concern:

warewolf

Reaction score
So none of the experts remember the episode where Bob shows Elmo how to blow up a raft?

Sigh. Maybe someday they'll release all the episodes on DvD and I'll finally find it.

Draugr

Reaction score
Question about a Classic Clip

Hello Everyone.

I'm hoping some of you here might be able to help me. I was born in 1972, so I was really young when I saw this bit on Sesame Street. I haven't seen it since that first time when I was a young child. The bit was a classical musical piece which I believe now was Pahelbel's Canon. I remember the following, but it is possible that it was a few different bits that got stirred into one image in my young head. I recall there being a scene while the song was playing where there were white daisies with a morning sun brightening their petals. I recall there was dew on the petals as well as it must have been early morning. The song and images gave me a feeling of sadness, but in a good way. I don't really know how to explain it. If you know this song then maybe you understand. :smile: Anyhow, I also think there was a scene of a beach with the rolling waves all while the music was playing. Does anyone else remember this and if so, do you know if it is available to view on the Internet, or do you have any other information that might help me track down this small bit of a very old Sesame Street episode?

I really appreciate any help I might receive tracking down this scene from Sesame Street. It really means a lot to me as I have a long history with the bit from Sesame Street and waiting over 20 years before I was able to find out what the name of that beautiful song was. For over 20 years that song avoided me and it wasn't until 2000 or 2001 that I heard it and was able to get the name of the song. I was in a record store when the song played over the store music system, so they should know the name. :insatiable:

Thanks,
John

clipjj27

Reaction score
Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow

I'm trying to find Judy Collins singing Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. I know it's on the record The Stars Come Out on Sesame Street, but I haven't been able to get hold of that. Does anyone have a digital file?
Many thanks,
Ashley
I would love to see and hear that clip again after all these years as well - nostalgic indeed!

ErnieBertGonzo

Reaction score
Answering Draugr's Question

I recall there being a scene while the song was playing where there were white daisies with a morning sun brightening their petals. I recall there was dew on the petals as well as it must have been early morning. The song and images gave me a feeling of sadness, but in a good way. I don't really know how to explain it. If you know this song then maybe you understand. :smile: Anyhow, I also think there was a scene of a beach with the rolling waves all while the music was playing. Does anyone else remember this and if so, do you know if it is available to view on the Internet, or do you have any other information that might help me track down this small bit of a very old Sesame Street episode?
I think THIS might be the flower film you're looking for.

No luck on the wave one, however. Try searching on YouTube or SS.org's Video Player.

Draugr

Reaction score
Wow.....

I think this is it! After all this time I finally see and hear it again. But it's not playing Pahelbel's Canon. I wonder if I just got the skits mixed up. My question now is this... "Was there a skit where Pahelbel's Canon was the background music?"

Thanks
John