The new What Made You Smile Today thread

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Even as an adult I miss that place so much. I remember seeing a couple ERTL Thomas toys there once.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The last time I was in Toys R Us was either 2015 or 2016, because for a very, very brief time, Fisher-Price had distribution rights to new Chipmunks toys and merchandise, so naturally, I snatched up what I could, and believe me, they didn't last long at all until they disappeared from the shelves altogether and never saw the light of day again . . . I don't know why Bagdasarian Productions always seems somewhat reluctant to merchandise The Chipmunks, considering that's their bread and butter franchise, they could really bring in more money from merchandise.

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I got a little misty eyed remembering my time at Toys R Us. I worked for them from 1999 to 2005. I helped service the giant Times Square store.
I got to visit Times Square about 30 times. We had a few big product roll outs. It wasn’t just a store, it was meant to be an experience. There was a Ferris wheel, a giant T-Rex, Wonks candy, it was great.
The store was open long after I left the company, but it never turned a profit. Rent was so ghastly expensive.
Walmart and online shopping crippled Toys R Us, but also some bad financial deals which ultimately made them close.
But for a brief time, I was glad to be a small part of it all.
Just saw someone post a video about that store.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Yes, Toys R Us was having trouble even back then. You wouldn’t know it, because we got paid very well. Great pay, excellent benefits, 401k, we got looked after..
I wasn’t around to see the layoffs and store closings. But for five years they kept me off the streets.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The last time I was in Toys R Us was either 2015 or 2016, because for a very, very brief time, Fisher-Price had distribution rights to new Chipmunks toys and merchandise, so naturally, I snatched up what I could, and believe me, they didn't last long at all until they disappeared from the shelves altogether and never saw the light of day again . . . I don't know why Bagdasarian Productions always seems somewhat reluctant to merchandise The Chipmunks, considering that's their bread and butter franchise, they could really bring in more money from merchandise.
Back in the 80s there was a line of Chipmunk plush dolls, and you can dress them in different outfits . I can’t remember if the clothes were sold separately, but you could dress Alvin as a rock star, baseball player, or a cowboy.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Got these chicken apple not dogs. Most dogs don’t taste like anything, so you have to put a lot of toppings on them. But these are gre great as they are. Maybe a touch of mustard, that’s all you need.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, I think that's why I usually prefer burgers to dogs . . . I mean, in some cases, even a plain burger with no toppings can taste pretty good (provided the meat patty has some kind of seasoning/flavoring added), but just a plain ol' dog? Yeah, not really. The plainest I'll eat a dog is with a touch of ketchup and mustard; otherwise, I may go as far as to also sprinkle some cheese and onions as well, but generally speaking, hot dogs are not something I tend to go for.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I don’t mind hot dogs plain but my go to toppings are just ketchup and mustard. And even I’m not the biggest hot dog guy.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
🤮

Only thing I'll eat cold is fried chicken . . . it's, uh, a southern thing. . . .