The Neverending Story

Gloworm

Reaction score
is the Neverending story those films with the wierd flying dog-thing who is really clever and there's a boy and in one of them he is loosing all his memories and he forgets that he is freinds with the wierd flying dog-thing or something like that
Is there a bit in one where the boy is at the top of a diving-board and he looks over and it looks like a big waterfall?
If that's what you're talking about then I used to LOVE those films
Glo

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Yes,Gloworm.That is the 2nd movie of Neverending Story.And lol,it's not a flying dog,Falkor is a luck dragon.And Bastian is on top of the diving board,and seeing a waterfall,because he's afraid to dive. :smirk:

BorkBork

Reaction score
I saw the first movie when i was 8 yers old at the cinema. Wow, i was hooked directly. What a fascinating story, and so much magic. I still haven't read the book so all of the magic is in the movie for me. However i will read the book soon. I'm looking forward to finding out how it was originally inteded to be. I just rediscovered the movie again, 20 years after i first saw it.

For those that don't know, this film was a german-american collaboration. Some of the actors are german and spoke very bad english so they were dubbed over with voice actors. They also made 2 versions of it. One german version and one for the rest of the world. In the german version there is a difference in the soundtrack, and the film was edited different. I still haven't seen the german version but i think i'll order the 2-disc german dvd soon.

As for the sequels...all i can say is what the f*** was that all a about??? All the magic of the first film is gone already in the 2:nd one. This nimbley charachter also just drives me insane. I was really exited when i first saw the teaser for it, but it was such a dissapointment when i got to the theater to see it. Where was Barret Oliver? Where was Noah Hathaway, and where was Tami Stronach?

Now the 3:d film was just making a mock of the first film. Is this a parody??? Falcor went from hero to wimp and his voice is so rediculous and the rock-biter with family look like muppets (no offence, folks :embarrassed: ) and who is that tree-guy??? I think it's the worst film i have ever seen. Even "Hercules in new york" kicks this movie's ***!!!

For me there are no sequels, the original film is the only neverending story for me. I deny the other 2 film's existance.

What would be really cool though is a remake of the film. A really good one with more scenes from the film and perhaps less childish. It should be made a bit darker and powerfull, sort of like LOTR.
Or perhaps a 20 years celebration of the original film; special edition DVD with extra scenes added!!!

Well that's my 2 cents on the story that -for me- ended with the first one.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Ironically, the Henson Creature Shop did the effects for NeverEnding Story III. I guess the studio didn't pay them enough money to do it right.

BorkBork

Reaction score
As i have just discovered, TNES III was based on the cartoon series. I guess that's why it was ridiculed the way it was

BorkBork

Reaction score
I am listening to the german soundtrack of TNES the first film right now, and i must say it is way more beautiful that the us-version. The us soundtrack sounds cheap in comparison.

rexcrk

Reaction score
Oooo! I love the Neverending Story! I've got the book in hardcover with the red and green ink. I've seen the first movie a ton of times and I wanna get it on DVD. My favorites are Rock Biter and Falcor. And I love the puppetry in those movies (puppets... SO much better than CGI). The second movie was alright, but it wasn't really anything special. Now the third one... all I can say is... "ouch :attitude: " I don't know what they were thinking... no, they weren't thinking. lol. Actually, in the third one, I liked the Nasties, and I liked the tree, and Rock Biter wasn't too bad. Everything else, was horrible. I hated what they did to Falcor. He's supposed to be hard-core, in that one he was a wimp loser.

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
The NeverEnding Story is actually one of my favourite films, though I've semi-blocked II and completely blocked III from my head. Wolfgang Petersen I consider to be as one of the best directors ever and his work on the first film of NES makes it shine. Tami Stronach, Noah Hathaway, etc. were the best choices to play their respective roles as the denizens of Fantasia [Fantastica] and I feel it was a sore mistake to replace them in II even if Tami, Noah and Barrett had grown up a bit.

I've read the book and found it to be excellent. I would have liked it if even more characters from it had been brought to the screen.

Falkor, Atreyu and the Childlike Empress are my favourite characters. Alan Oppenheimer is the definative voice for Falkor and I would hear no other. Tami Stronach and Noah Hathaway are also the definative personifications of The Empress and Atreyu, respectively.

As for Nimbley... I think he was one of the few good things going for the II film, but that's a matter of personal opinion. I liked how he brought out that life, in some respects, is itself a story and all have their parts whether villains or heroes.

My two cents.

~ Sylindebren

rexcrk

Reaction score
Yeah, I liked Nimbley too :stick_out_tongue:

And does anyone know who did Rockbiter's voice in the first movie? I checked IMDb and it didn't say.