The Mysterious Mary-Ann

Princeton

Reaction score
I'm speaking of course of the lady made immortal in the Brian Jay Jones biography that was Jim's on-and-off girlfriend from the early/mid 80's to his death. I've read the Jones biography about ten times now and every time Mary-Ann makes her first appearance, I'm always equal parts fascinated and uncomfortable and strangely for the same reasons. Uncomfortable because of a) the negative comments of Jim's anonymous colleagues* regarding her and b) Jones' unwillingness to name the colleagues and yes Virginia, I attempted to ask him that very thing. While we're on the subject of names, it seems very deliberate that Mary-Ann's last name is never once mentioned in the book. While she's painted negatively, the events concerning her are almost forty years old. Was Jones really afraid of people going after Mary-Ann? This is what leads to my fascination about her portrayal: the lengths people are going to to both smite her and protect her. What are everyone else's thoughts on Mary-Ann?
* I personally assume that these quotes are from Frank and Jerry since they were the two most cynical of the performers.

Princeton

Reaction score
Since starting this thread I've reread the Jones biography and technically her last name is revealed. But still the secrecy surrounding her is growing evermore troubling and honestly the lack of comments to this thread are exacerbating that.

gravy

Reaction score
I personally think Jones just wanted to respect her privacy- if you look her up online it seems she's gone to taking the quiet life, so I can understand if she wouldn't want to be swarmed with questions by fans like that.

Princeton

Reaction score
I personally think Jones just wanted to respect her privacy- if you look her up online it seems she's gone to taking the quiet life, so I can understand if she wouldn't want to be swarmed with questions by fans like that.
Based on how Jones portrayed her I don't see who would want to contact her. My point is there are ways to be vague without making the reader needlessly curious. It's a challenge, to be sure, but nonetheless possible. And I think had Jones portrayed her actions in a more vague way, she wouldn't have seemed like such a sacred untouchable object.