The Muppets have a table read for the new "Greatest" Muppet movie

Beauregard

Reaction score
*ahem!*

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=66179

Though we won't be seeing the Stretch Armstrong movie for a couple of years, Stoller is also hard at work on the ambitiously-titled The Greatest Muppet Movie of All Time, which will star Stoller's "Sarah Marshall" collaborator Jason Segel and be directed by James Bobin of HBO's "Flight of the Conchords."

Being that most fans of the Muppets (or Stretch Armstrong, for that matter) would have been kids during the '70s when the Muppets were at the height of the fame, we wondered what sort of audience they'll be going for with the new movie.

"Muppets is I think for everyone," Nick told us. "When you watch the original Muppet movie, we're going for that tone of 'The Muppet Movie,' 'The Great Muppet Caper,' 'Muppets Take Manhattan,' that kind of awesome original tone. It's like watching the original 'Simpsons.' There's a joke every second, they're very funny, they appeal to kids and adults, and that's what we're going for, we're going for that kind of tone. I always call The Muppets, the 'gateway drug for comedy nerds.' It's the first comedy we're introduced to, at least people our age. That's what we're going for with that. It will be for the whole family I guess, and for anyone who likes Muppets."

Lastly, we wondered if Nick had a chance to consult with any of the writers from the original "Muppet Show" episodes or movies while writing the script for their new movie.

"We just had a table read on Saturday and the puppeteers, they've been working with those characters forever, so they're giving notes, and we have a muppet expert who gave notes. We also have 'The Muppet Bible' that Jim Henson and Frank Oz wrote, which has all the rules of the muppets. The three of us are kind of Muppet freaks. I love Muppets. I'm a fan, Segel is a fanatic, and James Bobin knows so many Muppets. He knows Muppets that I never heard of and that even Jason hadn't heard of. He'd say, 'I think this scene calls for Uncle Deadly' and we'd be like, 'Who is Uncle Deadly?' and he'd go on YouTube and show me this strange vulture creature. That's kind of amazing."

haakonsmary

Reaction score
James Bobin did a great job on FOTC, so I was glad they chose him, but this just confirms to me even more that he is the right choice for the Muppets.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Uncle-friggin'-Deadly is gonna be in this? ? ? COOL!

I love this! I love his description of the Muppets! "The gateway drug for comedy nerds." How true!

And... who knew there was a Muppet Bible? I want that!

EEEEEE!

:smile: :crazy: :smile:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Uncle-friggin'-Deadly is gonna be in this? ? ? COOL!

I love this! I love his description of the Muppets! "The gateway drug for comedy nerds." How true!

And... who knew there was a Muppet Bible? I want that!

EEEEEE!

:smile: :crazy: :smile:
I don't really have anything to add to this... I just wanted to echo all of these comments.

Oh, I guess I do have something to add... BRING IT ON! ! !

dmoss

Reaction score
Whoa, that article has really renewed my faith in the movie! :big_grin: Some of the phrasing and words he used just make me smile, because it's easy to tell that he wants to do well, and isn't just going to make a movie and throw the Muppets into it conveniently. I also love that the plan is to keep the gags going throughout the movie, as they did in the original 3 films...too exciting! :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I Am So........HYPER! *starts going all Daffy Duck on people* WHOOOOOOOOOO!

This is one awsome thing to hear. I'm just so glad to hear more stuff on the new Muppet Movie. I've asked my friends if they want to see it with me but there like no but i'm going to drag them to it. They are going to watch it only because i watch pretty much any thing they want to go see. But this is one of the best things i've hear all day. Epect for that Fraggle Rock will be re-airing soon in October. There are so much stuff happening this year that i can't hold it all in. I'm going to blow up like a Bob-omb.

Uh oh! BOOOM!

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
WOOHOO! Very encouraging to hear some news on the new Muppet movie. And whoa- Uncle Deadly in the movie? That would rule! I hope we can see him and lots of other classic Muppets from The Muppet Show (and Muppets Tonight and The Jim Henson Hour, for that matter). Even just cameo appearances would be great- especially for long gone characters like Wayne and Wanda, Hilda, Seymour, Fleet Scribbler, Timmy Monster, Boppity, Gloat, etc. :big_grin::scary::search: