The Muppets Episode 4 - Pig Out

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Pig Out"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
You're still completely wrong and waaaaaaay too negative for your own good, Auntie Ru. :grouchy:

Besides, Kermit has been mean in the past. Even on The Muppet Show, like in the Lena Horne episode ("sometimes you have to be ruthless, merciless and cruel").

Remember what JimandFrank said and also remember that he show is only 4 episodes in, so please stop being sad and start being happy and loving this fantastic new series, knowing that Bill Prady, Disney and the others ARE respectful of the characters despite what you want to think.
Ya, how about Kermit being really mean to Gonzo in season 1 and the Paul Simon episode, he really emphasized how much he though his act was terrible and criticized him, and about the Zoot joke from episode 2, there was a much dirtier joke in oh so kid friendly TM'11

Miss Piggy: I don't think so "looks down" sister?

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Thanks, MM. I was actually thinking about The Goldbergs myself in terms of ABC being patient with a heavily-promoted new series. In its first season, The Goldbergs actually aired at 9 EST on Tuesday nights (after Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.) in a comedy block with the one-season wonder Trophy Wife. ABC was patient enough to wait for the core audience to settle in, and now The Goldbergs is enjoying great numbers in its third season (its second in ABC's Wednesday-night comedy block).

Let's face it, folks, Tuesday nights are tough. The Flash (which Mrs. Otter and I really enjoy) just returned, and NCIS and The Voice are still go-to favourites. It can be argued that The Muppets is fortunate to get the numbers it's getting. (And let's face it: How would you like to be FOX or John Stamos, attempting to digest the rock-bottom ratings for Grandfathered?)

We can't forget two important variables about the most recent Tuesday night: the Democratic candidates' debate on CNN and the first round of the MLB playoffs. These are event-television broadcasts that will naturally bleed viewers away from regular-series TV. (And now that one of the Final Four MLB teams is Canadian, that probably won't continue.) :wink:

Also, I did a count on the ABC ratings figures and only five of its scripted series are doing better than The Muppets in the coveted 18-49 demographic: The Goldbergs, Modern Family, Scandal, Grey's Anatomy and How To Get Away With Murder. Other new shows like Quantico and Blood and Oil are tanking. The Middle, the Wednesday night comedy-block leader that just started its seventh season, isn't pulling The Muppets' numbers. Nashville, a favourite of mine that just launched its fourth season, is taking in half the audience of The Muppets and is probably on life support right now.

Further to that thought: The Muppets has been tagged as one of ABC's more expensive series (with double the budget of an average sitcom) but the network is holding on to other shows with even lower ratings that must cost a fortune to produce - specifically, Once Upon A Time and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. And what else do these shows have in common with The Muppets? Rabid fan bases that will loyally follow these series to the final episode, and even beyond.

With four quality, buzz-worthy episodes in the can and decent numbers for a new show on a busy TV night, I'm certainly not calling the TV undertaker. (Or, for that matter, the Cancellation Bear, which has The Muppets as a good bet to be renewed for 2016-17 based on the first month's ratings.)

This isn't a rehash of the Friday-night-death-slot Muppets Tonight days, folks. Call me overly optimistic but I really like this new show and its chances for a long run. This is a major commitment for ABC, not a Selfie-type sitcom to be dumped after a month and a half. And until such time as the axe actually falls, I look forward to enjoying my old friends in their new shenanigans every Tuesday night.

(After Charlie Brown, of course.) :big_grin:
It's not in much danger at the moment, Fresh off the Boat got a 1.3 before, its just that people expected 3.0s every week for a high profile property like the muppets, I have heard mostly positive reviews for this episode online compared to the other episodes which were mostly really mixed, the majority of people have called it the best episode so far. I hope this leads to a ratings increase for the next episode, but it can not go down, any lower than a 1.3 means danger, but I have hope that it stabilizes in the 1.4-1.7 range which would be good, and would get it a renewal, but here's an article with some great stuff.

http://www.thewrap.com/the-muppets-ratings-slide-but-kermit-still-has-tricks-up-his-sleeve/

Sheild last year got a 1.59 average, pretty low, but it still got renewed, because they were more or less solid ratings, not what they expected, but because it was a Disney property, it also got a 1.3 for its 2 hour finale, so Disney properties have edge on ABC, hopefully the ratings stablilize though.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ya, how about Kermit being really mean to Gonzo in season 1 and the Paul Simon episode, he really emphasized how much he though his act was terrible and criticized him, and about the Zoot joke from episode 2, there was a much dirtier joke in oh so kid friendly TM'11
All jokes are not created equal. Just because a joke on Muppet Show is surface level similar to this new show doesn't mean it's of the same spirit. When Kermit put down their acts on Muppet Show, it was because he was the long suffering straight man who had to put up with their weird tastes. This new show seems to think Muppet Show Kermit was weak somehow and the way to "rectify" this is to make him just plain mean.

Last edited:

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Seems to me in the last couple of shows Piggy knows most of the Muppets names she talks to. Well Scooter and Chef.
I agree. She knows them. It was an out of cannon laugh for the promo real. Although maybe she doesn't know Zoot's name - that blue guy over there.
I think other than Kermit she's only named Scooter, Beaker and Chef so far. I don't even know if Chef counts. That's just like if she called Fozzie "bear". Even in the first episode, when Fozzie called her she was like "Who are you?". I don't remember that being part of Piggy's character. My whole theory on why she knows only knows certain characters names is:

:wink: - he is her slave
:hungry: - he can't talk back to her
:eek: - he can't talk back to her

and about the Zoot joke from episode 2, there was a much dirtier joke in oh so kid friendly TM'11

Miss Piggy: I don't think so "looks down" sister?
The whole point for me was not that it was a dirty joke, but that it was an incredibly stupid, uncomfortable joke. It was a total *facepalm* moment.

jobi71

Reaction score
All jokes are not created equal. Just because a joke on Muppet Show is surface level similar to this new show doesn't mean it's of the same spirit. When Kermit put down their acts on Muppet Show, it was because he was the long suffering straight man who had to put up with their weird tastes. This new show seems to think Muppet Show Kermit was weak somehow and the way to "rectify" this is to make him just plain mean.
This argument is not going to progress too far if all people keep bringing up are facts. (odd as that sounds). Yes, Kermit can be and has been mean, sarcastic, snide and at times has put the production over his friends. Miss Piggy can be and has been a diva, jealous, insecure and to a lesser extent ruthless. To me the issue in question is tone. I think the new show is very good and funny. I think it will become great and have the added heart that is now lacking if they tweak the tone of these two characters. The tone of the Electric Mayhem also needs a small tweak. We know they like pot but that's not their only reason for being. Also, have Fozzie and Gonzo interact a bit more with other characters. Keep Yolanda, Carl, Scooter and Deadly as they are. Stir. Mix in a bit more Rowlf. Don't forget the longer story arcs - which based on a piece I read they will pick up some recurring plots. And voila the show (in my mind) goes from B+ to A+ Now let me just sit down and write a letter to the powerful person in charge who can effect these changes. Ahem, Dear, Mr. The Frog....

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
If they do a halloween episode I wanna see the muppets dressed up in costumes. Maybe gonzi dress as batman or something. It would be a riot if hey all dressed up and id halloweeny things. Maybe robin can want kermit to take him out trick or treating and fozzie winds up doing it instead and shenanigans happen. XD

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. Definitely. Robin needs some airtime on this show. He hasn't been around much since Jerry's passing, so it would be nice to see what Matt can do with him.

Fozzie taking Robin trick-or-treating might be an interesting idea too. Reminds me of that Family Matters episode where Waldo took Richie trick or treating, but came back with the wrong kid. That would be a typical thing for Fozzie to do as well. :smile: