The Muppets Episode 1 - Pig Girls Don't Cry (Pilot)

What did you think of "The Muppets" series premiere "Pig Girls Don't Cry"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Katzi428

Reaction score
It's starting out kind of slow to me. But (since I'm a loyal fan )I'm giving it a chance. Who knows? Maybe next week will be funnier!:smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
First off, it was truly an adult themed Muppets, but it held some nods to the original source. I was a bit surprised to see Kermit the Frog of all Muppets...Cursing. I mean given his usual good nature style, you wouldn't see that coming, but it did.
Um, you do know that when Jim taped his pitch reel for TMS, he ended it with Kermit walking into frame, facing the camera, and saying, "What the #377 was that?!" Right?

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Kermit used to be the leader of the group--even if it took arm-waving hysteria to get them to listen to him. He isn't here.

He's a guy who can't get a show on the air without his ex, so the only way he can get back at her is by cheating on her with a younger, thinner, docile pig who panders to him and enables him. Piggy at least loved him enough to be honest with him.

In the old days, Kermit would have reined Piggy in professionally for the good of the show (because she was always at her best for him) and he would have reeled her in personally, all the while protesting his infatuation (which she didn't believe any more than we did.) The show would have been better for it, and Kermit wouldn't come across as a wimpy, whiny shadow of himself.

I was going to stay out of this, but here I am, and the thing I want most to ask Disney is this: What the heck don't you understand?

The Muppets (in which Kermit confesses that Piggy is the only one for him and always has been) is a huge success. Despite being down and out, Kermit is strong and determined, and he knows just what to say to get Piggy's goat. That only works short-term, however, and he eventually has to come face-to-face with the fact that--if he wants her and needs her--he needs to tell her. THAT makes them partners--in love, in life and in success, so there isn't any need for him to feel diminished. He's strong, she's strong, they're stronger together than they are apart.

Muppets Most Wanted, in which Kermit is a cringing apologist for the group, who truly cannot "handle" Piggy--is more of a dud. (I liked it okay, but--hey--I'm an obsessed muppet fan.) The MMW Kermit can't stand up to Piggy's ridiculous demands about the wedding, but the old Kermit could have. Where is the frog who survived a thousand wardrobe demands (a week!) and came out triumphant, and with the pig of his dreams in his show and in his arms? Where did THAT Kermit go?

EVERY time the (Disney) studio tries to make Piggy out to be nothing but a fat joke (You just had to get that fat joke in there, didn't you, Kermit? Although Piggy is right--you ARE looking a little paunchy yourself.) he just comes across as mean. And by ridiculing Piggy, whom his show "needs" to be successful, he is indirectly ridiculing the fans who can't get enough of her.

Where is the Kermit I know, who made the whole world fall in love with him while he was falling in love with Piggy?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Piggy's harshness kind of bugged me during the show, but I found the entire show very funny, so what's not to like. Carl's talking head was the biggest laugh for me. And I loved the nods to the original TMS theme in the intro sequence. And the break-up scene was very well handled.

OH NO. Kermit said "H3ll"!!!!!! My childhood is over! Muppets can't say that word! All they can say is "Mahna Mahna" over and over til the end of times!

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Piggy's harshness kind of bugged me during the show, but I found the entire show very funny, so what's not to like. Carl's talking head was the biggest laugh for me. And I loved the nods to the original TMS theme in the intro sequence. And the break-up scene was very well handled.

OH NO. Kermit said "H3ll"!!!!!! My childhood is over! Muppets can't say that word! All they can say is "Mahna Mahna" over and over til the end of times!
Yeah I think the breakup scene was actually my favorite one in the episode. Sadly I missed about the first minute or so of the episode,so I didn't get to see the intro.:stick_out_tongue:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
The MMW Kermit can't stand up to Piggy's ridiculous demands about the wedding, but the old Kermit could have.
Except that he did. In the scene. Where she demands crazy things about their wedding. And he snaps at her.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I liked it a lot! I grinned quite a bit at some of the jokes like Zoot's AA joke and an indirect sex joke from Kermit, yeah I also shook my head on that part. I laughed at Rizzo and Pepe dancing. I think they should have made more time for Imagine Dragons and Tom Bergeron, I would have loved it if Tom made it on Piggy's show! I don't really like the design for the Denise puppet and I think Denise comes on a little too strong for Kermit even stronger than Miss Piggy ever did in my opinion. Scooter's loyalty shines through again, but this time it backfires. Also, I'm tired of Kermit being portrayed as the bad guy in the relationship, I think he and Piggy always had trouble meeting in the middle and compromising. We'll see how their relationship works out later on.
Um, you do know that when Jim taped his pitch reel for TMS, he ended it with Kermit walking into frame, facing the camera, and saying, "What the #377 was that?!" Right?
First, which pitch reel did the line come from? I'd like to see that for myself. This isn't the first time the "H" word was mentioned in a Muppet production. Harvey Korman mentioned the word towards Thog during a circus skit. Kermit made an indirect reference to it in the Marisa Barenson episode by saying "Some very warm places will freeze over!"

Bottom line is we all can have different opinions, I mean, we don't have to like every single Muppet project ever made. We'll see where the show goes. I'm liking it so far!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Except that he did. In the scene. Where she demands crazy things about their wedding. And he snaps at her.
That's the opposite of standing up to her.

When Piggy's was going on and on about the seat covers, what she was really saying was, "I want your attention. I want to know that I'm important to you, but I'm worried that I'm not, so I'm inventing 800 different reasons to come in here and demand your time. I'm worried that I'm not "enough" to compete with everything you do. Do you really love me?"

Instead of reassuring her, he barks at her. Piggy would have heard that as a "no," so she then resorts to her OTHER superpower--her divahood. She then becomes very demanding about her role in the show--needing attention from fans as a Band-Aid for what she really wants: Kermit's attention.

As for the new show, I'll watch, hoping for the "oh-sheesh-I'm-an-idiot" moment when he realizes he's been foolish and weak. I want him to come roaring back to life and take his place at the head of the muppets. Piggy respects strength, and she'd have given over to him on their date if he'd simply said, "Enough. The public wants you, but I want you, too. This is my time to be a lucky frog." She'd have melted and followed him anywhere.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Kermit used to be the leader of the group--even if it took arm-waving hysteria to get them to listen to him. He isn't here.
Kermit hasn't really been that much of the 'leader" of the group since Jim's passing: back in those days, Jim was the glue that held his company together, and in a sense, Kermit was the glue that held the mUppets together. Since then, the other performers have stepped ip to the plate in an effort to keep the Muppets as a whole alive after his passing, so with that in mind, the other Muppet characters are given more to do beyond being part of Kermit's company; it's kind of more of a truer ensemble now.
First, which pitch reel did the line come from? I'd like to see that for myself.
Unless it's actually surfaced on the internet somewhere, I don't know that it's availab;lefor viewing, though it was mentioned in Brian Jay Jones's book.
This isn't the first time the "H" word was mentioned in a Muppet production. Harvey Korman mentioned the word towards Thog during a circus skit. Kermit made an indirect reference to it in the Marisa Barenson episode by saying "Some very warm places will freeze over!"
And, don't forget this line from the Happiness Hotel song:

"Still the management is cheerful, though the whole joint's gone to #377..."

Not to mention Long John Silver dropped it in MTI, which could easily be forgiven since he was, well, a pirate.