The Muppets Episode 1 - Pig Girls Don't Cry (Pilot)

What did you think of "The Muppets" series premiere "Pig Girls Don't Cry"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
The pilot was a bit of a mixed bag for me, but it was more good than bad.

It was almost a case too many guest stars in one episode. I feel like none of them got to be appreciated properly, like it was just too much going on in one episode with them trying to establish everything, but it seems like Elizabeth Banks was the 'main' guest star. Tom Bergeron is great; hopefully they'll bring him back for proper guest star treatment.

Pepe was a bright spot for me.

Something is off about Fozzie... both his puppet, and I know you can't clone Frank Oz, but this guy's Fozzie isn't all too great. It isn't an issue, but it just bugged me, and I know it's not fair to go in expecting Frank's Fozzie.

Scooter's sassiness in the golf cart scene was really weird and out of character to me (I had to wonder if that's how he really acted because it's been so long since I've watched the Muppets), but that was funny when he jumped back on the golf cart. I agree that the Muppets were a bit too mean in this episode. Like that wasn't funny when Piggy called Fozzie a worthless of fur; that was just mean. That's not 'Muppets' to me. And it's so weird how she doesn't remember any of them but Kermit. What's up with that? I guess it would make sense for her to maybe forget someone like Beaker or some of the more obscure Muppets, but she should definitely remember Fozzie and Gonzo.

Also.. does it seem like dr. teeth's weird grammar was more mangled than usual? I know I am dorky dr. teeth fan but. O.O dude, what happened to you?
Yes. I noticed this almost immediately. Again, at first I wondered if it was because it's been so long since I've watched the Muppets, but it was just too off.

I hope we get more goofy antics though. The thing with pepe and rizzo doing the dancing thing was the kind of weird random humor they're known for and I'd love to see more of it. It's always been my favorite thing about the muppets. The weird things they do. Or them doing a music number and it ends badly or weird things happen in the background of it.
I agree. I loved this segment. This was the one part where it actually felt like The Muppets to me.

Last edited:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It was almost a case too many guest stars in one episode. I feel like none of them got to be appreciated properly, like it was just too much going on in one episode with them trying to establish everything, but it seems like Elizabeth Banks was the 'main' guest star. Tom Bergeron is great; hopefully they'll bring him back for proper guest star treatment.
I didn't feel that way. I wasn't expecting them all to get a lot of screen time. I don't expect every episode to have a "main" guest star, either. Maybe if the show showed more of the talk show than backstage/personal lives stuff.

Blue Frackle said:
Like that wasn't funny when Piggy called Fozzie a worthless of fur; that was just mean. That's not 'Muppets' to me. And it's so weird how she doesn't remember any of them but Kermit. What's up with that? I guess it would make sense for her to maybe forget someone like Beaker or some of the more obscure Muppets, but she should definitely remember Fozzie and Gonzo.
That was a gag in the pilot as well, she couldn't remember Gonzo's name (and Gonzo kept pointing out their history together), and in a

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Something is off about Fozzie... both his puppet, and I know you can't clone Frank Oz, but this guy's Fozzie isn't all too great. It isn't an issue, but it just bugged me, and I know it's not fair to go in expecting Frank's Fozzie.
Yeah. I've been thinking about that recently as well. Seems like Eric has trouble getting Fozzie out of the first season. He really needs to make his voice, a little more like Bert. Though, I thought his Fozzie voice was really good in IVAMCMM.

we get it! You don't have to hit us over the head with it! Nobody is arguing the fact!
It's okay, Lady. Dwayne's a good guy. But we all have different opinions and different points of view that we want to get out in the open.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Thanks!

As for voices I thought everyone sounded great. I am still getting use to Scooter and Janice, but I thought everyone sounded fine

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
The voices were all OK to me. Not perfect but they were good. What bothered me most was the character of the Muppets in general was waaaaay off. I felt they were all a bit meaner, a bit snarkier than the true Muppets we've loved. I've always seen the Muppets as this weird ensemble of characters/friends that despite their differences and quirks always managed to love and embrace each other. I didn't get that feeling at all. They seemed very critical of each others differences and quirkiness. Hope this changes.

I've had several family members and friends who are casual Muppet fans ask me after the show "when did the Muppets become so mean?" or some variation of the question.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
I'd still like to point out floyd's new voice sounds MUCH older than his older voice. I don't have a problem with it it's just something I noticed. I guess he got older. XD

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know what I find odd? Everybody's complaining about the Muppets being "too mean" and "too snarky" with each other . . . but this is exactly what Frank Oz has been saying the Muppets have been missing all these years: conflict. At the risk of sounding like Drtooth, I guess what they say is true: you can't please everybody; no matter what they do, some people are going to find reasons to complain. First, the Muppets were "too cute" and "too sweet;" now they're "too mean" and "too snarky."

Of course, as I've said before: if Disney would bring in people who know how to write for the Muppets and not people from other snarky sitcoms to try to write for the Muppets, maybe the characters would seem more like themselves?

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
You know what I find odd? Everybody's complaining about the Muppets being "too mean" and "too snarky" with each other . . . but this is exactly what Frank Oz has been saying the Muppets have been missing all these years: conflict. At the risk of sounding like Drtooth, I guess what they say is true: you can't please everybody; no matter what they do, some people are going to find reasons to complain. First, the Muppets were "too cute" and "too sweet;" now they're "too mean" and "too snarky."

Of course, as I've said before: if Disney would bring in people who know how to write for the Muppets and not people from other snarky sitcoms to try to write for the Muppets, maybe the characters would seem more like themselves?
Well there can be a balance between too snarky and too cute. They need to find that or the show won't catch on with casual fans. I never had a casual Muppet fan tell me that the Muppets were too cute. But I have had several tell me they came across as mean and snarky. Most casual fans only know of the Muppets from what they saw in the original Muppet show. And a lot of their perception is seen through nostalgic glasses and those glasses remember the through thick-or-thin togetherness of the Muppets, despite their differences. Their differences were ignored, now they seem to be high-lighted. They don't want snarkiness from the Muppets.