The Muppet Show Season 5 Episode 9 - Debbie Harry

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Muppet Show Season 5 Episode 9 - Debbie Harry
US/New York Premiere: Saturday February 21, 1981
Disney+ Premiere: Friday February 19, 2021

When Kermit says Robin's Frog Scout troop can visit the show, he doesn't mean now, but it turns out they're already there: to see guest star Debbie Harry and earn punk merit badges! So when Gonzo's wrestling match with Quongo the Wild Mountain Gorilla is suddenly canceled, it's easy for them to take onstage. A Frog Scout is always prepared!

Watch on Disney+

Muppet Wiki Guide

Other Releases

This episode is available on the "Best of the Mupet Show" DVD collection Volume 9 originally released in 2001.

If you saw "The Muppet Show" with Debbie Harry on Disney+ please like this post and share your thoughts below.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This and Hal Linden might be the only ones that I have watched four times on Disney Plus. Most of the other episodes that I previously have not seen (as well as ones that I have seen) I have only watched twice at most on Disney Plus. I know I did watch Arlo Guthrie and Buddy Rich three times each.

I do wonder why this one has the disclaimer, I wondered if it was the opening number. Last I checked, this and Alan Arkan are the only episodes with the disclaimer where Muppet Wiki does not say why. At first I wondered if the Alan Arkan episode got that because of depictions of the Devil.... and he does briefly appear in this episode as well (along with a few other Muppet devils). I've also seen people at Toughpigs speculate that the disclaimer is due to the use of "Zip a Dee Doo Dah", just for originating in Song of the South.

This is a great episode. I have been really liking Debbie Harry in the last several years, making this easily one of the best. Her numbers are the highlights.

For a long time I had vague memories of catching part of a Muppet Show episode and a character going on stage to shout "Gonzo! Gonzo!" The scene with Quongo going on stage and interrupting the Frog Scouts march to look for Gonzo (after the wrestling match had to be canceled because he was running late) sounds like that to me.

Interesting how Kermit would not let the Frog Scouts do something on grounds that they hire only professionals, considering many of the acts seem like amateur acts and many tend to get put on at the last minute. Even if it was Kermit trying to spare their feelings and not put them on, it seems weird (how could the Frog Scouts doing their thing be weirder than booking a gargling gargoyle or a boomerang fish thrower?).