The Muppet Show Season 5 Episode 1 - Gene Kelly

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Muppet Show Season 5 Episode 1 - Gene Kelly
US/New York Premiere: Saturday February 28, 1981
Disney+ Premiere: Friday February 19, 2021

It just might be the end of the world - especially when guest star Gene Kelly announces that he won't be performing in the show, and plans to sit and enjoy it instead. But when he offers to teach Kermit how to dance, a little hoodwinking on the frog's part gets them both onstage, where they wind up doing a pas de deux with the old soft-shoe!

Watch on Disney+

Muppet Wiki Guide

Other Releases

This episode is available on the "Best of the Mupet Show" DVD collection Volume 1 originally released in 2001.

If you saw "The Muppet Show" with Gene Kelly on Disney+ please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Dunebasher

Reaction score
I remember seeing this on its original broadcast in the UK, and when I watch it now I have to wonder - was all that stuff about Gene Kelly refusing to do Singin' In The Rain actually drawn from real life? Did he make it a condition of appearing that he wouldn't do SITR, at least not in full? Or was it just a spin thought up by the writers?

David French

Reaction score
I remember seeing this on its original broadcast in the UK, and when I watch it now I have to wonder - was all that stuff about Gene Kelly refusing to do Singin' In The Rain actually drawn from real life? Did he make it a condition of appearing that he wouldn't do SITR, at least not in full? Or was it just a spin thought up by the writers?
According to the intro by Brian Henson, Kelly genuinely did not want to do Singin' in the Rain.