The Muppet Show on American television

DMHFan

Reaction score
In case anyone's wondering why The Muppet Show wasn't shown on American television from April 1996-1998, I found out the reason via Google Groups:
"...(The Muppet Show, last seen in the US on Nickelodeon was yanked when Muppets Tonight debuted due to a "competition clause" in the network contract)"

Mario500

Reaction score
In case anyone's wondering why The Muppet Show wasn't shown on American television from April 1996-1998, I found out the reason via Google Groups:
"...(The Muppet Show, last seen in the US on Nickelodeon was yanked when Muppets Tonight debuted due to a "competition clause" in the network contract)"
(wishes to know how the "reason" was "found" "via Google Groups")

minor muppetz

Reaction score
i saw that mentioned in a Muppetzine article.

it’s a shame that the competition clause affected TMS reruns.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What "Muppetzine article"?
I can’t remember, Toughpigs has scans of every page of every article. I don’t recall a big “The Muppet Show is off the air to not compete with Muppets Tonight” article, I recall it being mentioned in passing somewhere, but I recall it was after the shows last broadcast on ABC, so maybe the Fall or Winter 1996 issue. I don’t have time to look through them all now.

edit to add: okay I had time after all, this The Balcony article.https://www.toughpigs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/mz19-p27.jpg

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It’s interesting, that was mentioned in a MuppetZine article, which came shortly after the public was starting to use the internet (a few months after I first got the internet), the magazine didn’t have any articles announcing why TMS was canceled on Nick. I wonder how they found out.

Must have been stressful having to get out of their contract with Nickelodeon to rerun The Muppet Show.