The Muppet Movie: Crummy 18 minute Super 8 version

Drtooth

Reaction score
The thing that's baffling is, they clearly could sell these things for almost 20 minutes. Taking a 22 (or so) minute Flintstones episode and pairing it down to 18 shouldn't have been to hard, and it would have yielded an easier flow. Removing the opening and closing... that's 2 minutes right there.

I dunno. Maybe it was just cheaper for consumers to buy television shows at 8 minutes and movies at 20. Besides the obvious statement of "look how home entertainment has changed" it really seems like these were made more for the hobbyist and collector than anyone looking to bring their favorite movie home directly. Yet, even the Flintstones makes more sense, probably being available around the late 60's, early 70's. The Muppet Movie came out in 79. Unless the Super 8 edition was made that very same year, home video formats were starting to pop up, just not commonly and video tapes cost hundreds of dollars. So really, you wonder who this was even for, other than the die hard Super 8 hobbyists.

gravy

Reaction score
Bump bump. I just got a copy of my own of this in the mail today (all the way from Australia!) and the box and color are great! The color is basically the same as the one @Mo Frackle uploaded, except some scenes' color is slightly worse and some are better, although it's all pretty much the same. But other than that I'm glad I have my own copy of this!

Last edited: