The most tear-jerking Muppet moment...

Stix

Reaction score
'Saying Goodbye' always gets me, too. It's the bit when Rowlf and Fozzie are hugging and Scooter is behind them and starts singing. It reminds me of completing my degree at University and me and all my friends going our seperate ways.
And a few nights ago I finally got to watch The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson, thanks to Google Video, after seeing a short clip on the recent 50 years celebration special on ITV. I was an absolute wreck after watching it, it was the letter that Gonzo reads about Jim watching the Muppets from Heaven that got me the most!
I also found myself teary eyed listening to Gonzo's 'Wishing Song' on the cast album. And seeing Jim doing the dishes at the end of Muppet Family Christmas. In fact it might be easier to list the times I dont cry whilst watching The Muppets! :embarrassed:

spcglider

Reaction score
Gotta be the "You're FIRED, PIGGY!" scene on the original Muppet Show (when Piggy plants the fake story about she and kermit being secretly married). You can actually hear Kermit make the realization that he's hurting Piggy as he's screaming it. Ultimately it's a funny scene, but as Kermit is unloading on Piggy, you can hear the tone in his voice change as he hits the point of no return and realizes how wrong he is and that he's over-reacted but just can't stop. His anger disappears half-way through the scream and is replaced by sorrow cuz he knows he's hurting her.
-Gordon

spcglider

Reaction score
Of course, the footage from the Tribute to Jerry Juhl in Caspar, CA (Fraggle DVD set Season 2) nearly wrecked me. Not exactly a "muppet moment"... but close enough. I hope Jerry doesn't mind that I couldn't make it.

-G

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
Seriously, the Muppets make me cry more often than I could admit. I'll admit some things, but the full extent to how much I cry when I watch them/listen to them/etc... that's between me and my TV.

In the Muppet Movie, I cry pretty much every time the rainbow comes in the hole in the ceiling at the end. Just thinking about that little tinkle of keys--you know what I'm talking about--right before Kermit sing's "Life's like a movie" makes me well up. Oh, and I cry half the times I listen to I'm Going to Go Back There Someday and half the times I listen to The Rainbow Connection. But those depend on what kind of a mood I'm in--I can be very happy when I hear them too.

In Fraggle Rock, the entire episode of Marooned gets me. And when Gobo sings "Once Upon a Time (I Knew My Name)". His voice cracks at "I sometimes think that nothing's real" and if I'm not crying already I burst out in tears at that part. And the Fraggle Farewell song from The Fraggles Look for Jobs gets me every time too, and there are no specifics for that song, the whole thing makes me cry. The show ended too soon. *Sniff*

The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson... you'd have to be a stone (like a literal STONE) to NOT cry during that. Especially when they're reading the letters...

This thread is making me upset.

I used to get really upset when I heard Saying Goodbye, particularly around the time I graduated high school (huh, I wonder why?) but now I'm not really that emotional when I hear it.

MCC, when Tiny Tim is dead. Oh my. Can't bear it.

There are more, because, like I said, the Muppets make me cry way too much, but I'll leave y'all with that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I've always said that if I had to pick between "Bein Green" and "Rainbow Connection", I prefer "Bein Green."

But oddly enough, "Bein Green" is usually one of the those songs that I skip, just because I've heard it so often. But I was watching the Peter Ustinov episode the other day. I was watching with a friend so I couldn't skip it when Kermit's started singing this song. Then at the end, I suddenly started crying! I couldn't believe it, just out of nowhere! I think it was the musical arrangement after the last line that did it. That song is just so important. :cry: And hey if it works, it works!

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
The absolute beauty of Gobo singing Shine On Me in The Day the Music Died... goodness.

ilovekermy

Reaction score
Just the fact that Jim Hanson died was sad enough for me.. He was a childhood hero.. Along with the wonderful Frog... He will always be admired and loved by all the muppets and their fans..

misspiggytoo

Reaction score
I would have to say the "Saying Goodbye" from MTM I still cry to this day on that part. Another one is Gonzo's song from TMM "Go back there someday"

evilhopscotch

Reaction score
Oh jeez, where do I begin?

Well, let's start with Sesame Street, shall we? My number one favorite song that renders me a complete mess is "Don't want to live on the moon". That just WHACKS me in the face, and no matter how many times I listen to it, I always tear up on the last verse. "So although I may go, I'll be coming home soon...."

I just bust up.

Now, I have a very personal connection with Gonzo. he is my official favorite muppet, no ifs ands or buts. I ALWAYS cry during "I'm going to go back there". ALWAYS. Without fail. And I always sing along. It's my pick-me-up song for whenever I feel a little lonely. "There's not a word yet for old friends who've just met" is my favorite line out of the entire song.

"Saying Goodbye" of course, but it's what comes AFTER that song that gets me. When Kermit is at the top of the building, possibly thinking about jumping off and ending it all, but then he yells to the night sky "YOU HEAR THAT NEW YORK?! THE FROG IS STAYING!!" I absolutely LOVE that part of MTM. I really do.

Do NOT get me started on "The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson". I can't even THINK about it without tearing up.

But all those things pale in comparison with the song "A Boy and His Frog" by Tom Smith. It's not strictly a Muppet moment, but it was written a week or so after Jim's death, and I couldn't breathe the first time I heard it, I was crying so hard.