The Mighty Magiswords thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
CN's little webseries-turned-full series about a sibling mercenary duo and their seemingly endless arsenal of magical swords has begun to grow on me, even though I feel it could use its expanded run time more to develop characters and tell deeper stories, maybe even slow down its rapid-fire pacing a bit. I do like how the 2nd episode introduced some rival mercenaries, which hopefully goes somewhere. But we're still three episodes in, so it could go either way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm digging this series so far. Other than a few minor annoying bits of the narrator announcing every single scene change and sword usage, I think this show's pretty good, and frankly I think CN needs some of these kinds of pure comedy shows to balance out the dramatic shows like Steven Universe and Adventure Time. Action Comedy in every level of the spectrum is my favorite animation genre, and this looks to be on the lighter side. I don't mind a cartoon that's not that deep, since even Uncle Grandpa had some moments which are, well, not so much dark, somber or deep, but give more depth to certain characters and situations. Like every time they reveal that Pizza Steve is putting up a brave face and fake personality because he's really got an incredibly low self esteem, or two of the times they faced up against Aunt Grandma. I'd love to see that level of small bursts of depth in a wacky show like Magiswords. Certainly no Ice King/Amethyst "make the wackiest character the darkest" deal. But maybe a little humility and struggle once the show progresses.

And for some reason, I just love the Pumpkin Zombie sword. Maybe because it talks like Meatwad, I dunno.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I gotta say, I also like the little touch of Vambre occasionally using British terminology like "zed" instead of "zee", or calling the Flashlight Magisword a "torch" (to which her brother corrects her on). There's some nice witty dialog in this show that I've noticed. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
If there's one thing that I've enjoyed about these last few episodes it's the fact that they employ a couple comic book artists/writers that should sound familiar. Mike Kazaleh and Ken Mitchroney. If you've read a lot of the Marvel Ren and Stimpy comics (especially at the first half of their run), both names should be instantly recognizable. They also had their own indie comics in the 80's, Mike's was Captain Jack which I have a couple issues of. Ken also did a lot of Archie's run of the 80's TMNT comics.

The show does have just a faint air of offbeat indie comics humor to it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
If you've read a lot of the Marvel Ren and Stimpy comics (especially at the first half of their run), both names should be instantly recognizable.
Also explains why Prohyas and Vambre have a very R&S quality to them.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Anyone else think that cute Southern belle ghost that tried to kill Prohyas to be with him forever kinda looked like a combination of all three Kanker Sisters? She's got Marie's bangs, Lee's covered eyes, and May's buck teeth. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rewatching the episode about Grup's odor and the episode about the giant fungus, I noticed something that I really like about Probyas and Vambre.

At no point did they get angrily frustrated and lash out at Grup for not bathing or Zombie Pumpkin for not being able to battle the giant mushroom. Probyas even shouts in desperation "Please do something, you handsome magisword." And when Grup was freaking out because they should have known that water is deadly to dragons, Probyas managed to let out how much he loves him.

C to the J

Reaction score
Seems to me like no one's been keeping up with Mighty Magiswords (besides me). I have known Kyle Carrozza's style for years (even watched his short, MooBeard the Cow Pirate). One thing I like about it is that it keeps the stories moving along in a good way. Compared to some other cartoons, this one's quick and to the point. I especially enjoy the songs, including the one in Gotta Get Grup to Get Down.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I especially enjoy the songs, including the one in Gotta Get Grup to Get Down.
I really liked how Prohyas helped improve Grup's stupidly simple song for the talent show by having him, Vambre, Zombie Pumpkin, and Dolphin as backup singers. Really shows how much they care for the little dragon that they're able to do something like that. :smile:

Also, the reason why Prohyas likes and uses the Accordion Magisword so much is because the series' creator is a skilled accordionist. If only they could get Weird Al to guest-star so he could duel with a real challenger. :wink: