The Jim Henson Company Puppets to perform at the 2011 Grammys

MelissaY1

Reaction score
It's always the same bit, the kids who are into the newer stuff are simply louder and more assertive because they have popularity on their side. It's safe to like what they like. While the kids who like older entertainment don't have that safety net and so they appear to be in a small minority.

In middle school I was always given the impression I was only person in the world who liked the Beatles. But it turned out some of the kids in my class actually did like them, but they just kep it to themselves, heh.
But see, that's the problem. Why hide something like that? I always proudly emphasized what I was into whether it was old Garfield comic strips to the Beatles, to the Rocky Horror Picture Show. All things that most kids my age back in school weren't into at the time or if they were tried to act "too cool for the room".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But see, that's the problem. Why hide something like that? I always proudly emphasized what I was into whether it was old Garfield comic strips to the Beatles, to the Rocky Horror Picture Show. All things that most kids my age back in school weren't into at the time or if they were tried to act "too cool for the room".
Well my school was particularly infamous for its cliques and bullying, it was not a friendly place for individual points of view, even among the teachers, hehe.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Well my school was particularly infamous for its cliques and bullying, it was not a friendly place for individual points of view, even among the teachers, hehe.
That's very sad, heralde, but couldn't that be said about just any school? Mine was as well.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's very sad, heralde, but couldn't that be said about just any school? Mine was as well.
Oh I'm sure it is. It's just that we were a very small group, the same people every year, if you didn't get along with them there wasn't anyone else. I didn't hide what I liked and I was always an outcast, lol.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Yeah, that's unfortunately a large fact in the reason why older, not as "cool" things aren't more popular. If the popular kids deem it "uncool" then kids wont bother mentioning it. Lucky for me I had a good group of friends growing up, so when we discovered things we adored (LotR, Newsies, X-men, Twin Peaks, etc.) and we'd run around the playground shouting our love of said things, we may have gotten weird looks and gotten called names, but we had each other and that's all that mattered. I'm also blessed to have gone to a single gendered school. Yeah, there were cliques, but no one clique was really more popular than the others, so no one really cared what the other cliques were into.

I just wish bullying wasn't such an issue. Kids should be able to voice/express whatever it is they love.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Lucky for me I had a good group of friends growing up, so when we discovered things we adored (LotR, Newsies, X-men, Twin Peaks, etc.) and we'd run around the playground shouting our love of said things,
Whoa - your friends and you were into Twin Peaks (and you're only 20 now?) That's amazing! How long ago was that? That's so cool that TP still garners new fans! (One of my all time fave tv shows)

Puckrox

Reaction score
Whoa - your friends and you were into Twin Peaks (and you're only 20 now?) That's amazing! How long ago was that? That's so cool that TP still garners new fans! (One of my all time fave tv shows)
We were in the eighth grade, so I was thirteen at the time. I actually haven't watched Twin Peaks in years... I should really rewatch all of it. We thought it was the coolest thing ever when we were youngings.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Oh I'm sure it is. It's just that we were a very small group, the same people every year, if you didn't get along with them there wasn't anyone else. I didn't hide what I liked and I was always an outcast, lol.
Same here.