"The Happytime Murders" premieres August 24, 2018

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
I've been seeing this for the past day or so. Henson has picked up a spec script for a new film where puppets are the victims in a murder mystery. If you haven't heard about it, read it here.

I guess I have two questions. 1) Do you want to hear much about this on The MuppetCast? and 2) ....Really? A film noir murder mystery about puppets getting murdered (in a world, no less, where puppets are considered second-class citizens)? I know nothing about the script, but it just doesn't sound good to me. Am I alone on this? Should I reserve commentary until more is revealed (which, let's be realistic, might be a year or two)?

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
This could prove to be a very good movie. I'll reserve my judgement until after I see it.

As for mentioning it on the MuppetCast I agree Steve that if you do include it, then it should be postponed until more information is eventually revealed.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... If the "second class citizen" part is going to be played up in an over-sarcastic manner, if done crudely, wouldn't garner my attention. But it could be done well in the right hands. Either the people behind Mystery Science Theater 3000 or TV Funland, a brief series that ran on Comedy Central. Meh, it all depends on how it's done and portrayed. Hope this helps somewhat.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like the idea. And Henson is just the company to make it work as something beyond the "Let's take something from a primarily children's medium and juxtapose it with decidedly unchildish things." groove. It gets so stale after a while.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
So far I seem to be in the minority in as far as my apathy for the idea, hehe. Frogboy4, I didn't even make that connection with Roger Rabbit, wow! Very perceptive :smile:

I just don't know if this is the project that brings Henson back into the feature film limelight. Then again, I don't know that DC2 or FR will do it either, mostly because I see an announcement in the future that this too will be a direct-to-DVD feature. Prove me wrong!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, don't feel bad Steve, I find myself in the minority of having liked MWoO. This new project could be as much of an "experience" as other upcoming points on their slate like Francis the Talking Mule and/or The Big Blue Elephant. What was that even about? Nah, I'd focus on finishing the CPA special features, and maybe a review of The Tortoise vs. The Hare from Unstable Fables on the podcast.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. So much happening right now! I don't know how I feel about this one yet either (although I'm leaning towards skeptical), but I am thrilled at how much people seem to love the Muppets. There used to be this stigma (at least, that's how I interpreted it) that the Muppets were lame to the general public. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case at all and people look as lovingly and fondly at them as we do.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I never got the feeling that the muppets were looked down upon...I guess it must depend on where you live. My town is mostly older people...