The hands of Lips

That Announcer

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Yeah, the other arm, from what I've seen, is pinned down, since you hold the trumpet with two hands. I used to play the trumpet, it's fun. Lips is a much better player tham what I'd ever been, though.
I've tried a couple brass instruments, but I think it's best I stick to piano and drums. Phil Collins did, and he's my idol!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Don't even get me started about how Lips holds his trumpet backwards! :wink:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Yeah, that bothers me too!! Even left-handed trumpet players hold it the same way as rightys.
But all the muppet musicians are lefties. That's kind of fun trivia, really.

But I'm not a brass player at heart. Piano is where it's at. :big_grin:

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Yeah, you can't play with your left hand because the main lead pipe is in the way.

rexcrk

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a fellow trumpet player too! That's probably why I love Lips so much, and I'm so glad they made a figure of him. I think it's funny how the hands are reversed though :stick_out_tongue:

Gonzo14

Reaction score
yeah, I like the figure too, but I found out the trumpet is easily broken, and then glued. I was throwing a ball around my room, and it got away from me, and completely wiped out the Electric Mayhem, which was on my Sterio, which was on my dresser (so almost everything fell about 4 feet), the only things that broke were Lips's Trumpet broke in half, and one of the legs on Dr. Teeth's Keyboard came off, but luckily they were easily fixed :wink:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
I always assumed that wires connected to Lip's fingers traveled throgh the trumpet valves and into the rod that held up the "trumpet arm", of which a grip like pulley was squeezed to pull the fingers down, making it look like he's pushing the valves.
This is probably correct. I know Steve didn't have his hands inside Lips' hands, they're way too small for that. And I've even built hands that worked like this. It's the same way Jen's hands work on The Dark Crystal.

Oh, and, I think I read somewhere that Steve was a trumpet player. He also plays the banjo.

rexcrk

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
yeah, I like the figure too, but I found out the trumpet is easily broken, and then glued. I was throwing a ball around my room, and it got away from me, and completely wiped out the Electric Mayhem, which was on my Sterio, which was on my dresser (so almost everything fell about 4 feet), the only things that broke were Lips's Trumpet broke in half, and one of the legs on Dr. Teeth's Keyboard came off, but luckily they were easily fixed :wink:
:eek: Yikes! Well at least it was easy to fix :smile:

That Announcer

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
This is probably correct. I know Steve didn't have his hands inside Lips' hands, they're way too small for that. And I've even built hands that worked like this. It's the same way Jen's hands work on The Dark Crystal.
I thought Jen had animatronic hands, but I guess I was wrong!