The Great Muppet Caper and Muppet Treasure Island coming to Blu-ray December 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I was not aware they were the last two movies that needed a release. That makes more sense then. Ignore my last statement about it being strange. :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll admit, it is strange they're releasing them that way instead of a TMM/GMC and MCC/MTI pack, but it's just easier if they got those two out that way.

I don't hate the cover. Sure, they could've done better, but I'm not going to complain. They're putting the last two Muppet movies not on Blu-ray ON Blu-ray in one fowl swoop.
I agree. I don't see why that's not the take home. You don't really need to get these if you have them on DVD and don't want the upgrade. I doubt we'll see any new bonus features, since the other Disney two disk Blu films basically have the same features as their DVD counterparts. But if you were waiting for the blu-ray editions of both movies, well... now you get to get both of them for about the same price as getting them separately.

That said, I reiterate... Disney did this already with their own movies. Usually with the DTV sequels being the back up disk. They have sets of Rescuers, Emperor's New Groove, Lilo and Stitch (that has the actual sequel to the film, rather than the movie length pilot or finale of the TV series), Mulan, and Pocahontas. Only difference is, MTI is not a sequel film. I don't see how this is "lazy" or "not giving the films the respect they deserve." Actual lazy/no respect would be burying these in the Disney Vault, never to be seen again. Heck, Ducktales the Movie got a limited DVD release if you only joined the club, and Doug's First Movie didn't even get released on DVD.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
I don't think the releasing was lazy. The only complaints I had were about the cover. Not too much effort is put into their Blu-Ray covers, and this isn't the first time.

True, there are worse poser Kermits out there, but we still don't want to see any of these flat-face Kermits anymore, especially when Disney already has nice Kermits they've used to promote The Muppets.

Mr Sweetums

Reaction score
It's not that I don't like the cover art, it's the fact that i'm not a big fan of these two films put together. I don't want to take away anyone's excitement over these and yeah i'm also glad they've been released in some form but honestly I was hoping for much better.

If we got the TMM & TGMC together and TMCC and MTI together it would have been fine but this just doesn't make sense. I understand they've done this before and it's a good strategy for releasing sequels which haven't done as well as the original;. To me this is like combing Aladdin and Aladdin III: King of Thieves on the same Blu-ray and giving us a single release of Aladdin II: Return of Jafar

Maybe the last few muppet movies released on blu-ray didn't sell to well and this is the only profitable way to do this. There's probably a great reason but just as TMTM and MFS on BLU-RAY I will not buy it for the simple reason that i'd rather wait for something better. Maybe once all the films are out on Blu-ray we'll get a nice box set or something and I rather hold out on that.

Anyway I can see my comment had distracted from the thrill of this release so please continue with your excitement and don't let me stop any of you.

Of all the Muppet movies my favourite one has to be TGMC and I would have much rather have paid a bit more for a single release of each with some bonus feature and even the same half cover art they've used for this release in full for each movie. It's not the photoshop that bothers me it's the fact that they are both together.

I feel I am taking up space on this discussion trying to get my point across so this will be my last post on this subject.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still can't believe anyone's complaining about not having to spend twice the money on these things. :rolleyes:

It's not like The Muppet Movie Blu-Ray had any exquisite features, and I doubt they'd bother to add extra to either of these no matter what format it's on.

I'm far more annoyed by the stuff Disney won't release than the stuff they are.

Mr Sweetums

Reaction score
Yes being cheaper is definitely not something to complain about and if they both come with nice juicy extras then I would be a fool to complain. The thing is that by adding these two titles together it feels like there is no need to add anything extra since we're practically getting a free movie.

I've waited for TGMC to be released on Blu-Ray ever since BLU-RAY first came out and i'm disappointed to think that this gem of a film will not get it's own release which would force them to add at least a few extras. The Muppets Go To The Movies I know this has been mentioned numerous times and they probably don't even have the rights to release it and if they do then i don't see why they don't. Personally i would have paid extra (as i would have done with no problem had this not been announced first) for the hope that a film that has not been re-released on any format for almost ten years gets the recognition it deserves.

If this is the only choice then be it but i still think the double feature Blu-ray does not work for these two films. I believe they deserve better yet it's great that at least those of us who really want it can now get it. You know what i wouldn't have minded having as a double feature? MTI & MWOO

I'm no expert on this at all but i do think that TGMC would have sold really well if they released it in January or maybe even February or even December 10th that close enough to the new movie.

John Pannozzi

Reaction score
Heck, Ducktales the Movie got a limited DVD release if you only joined the club, and Doug's First Movie didn't even get released on DVD.

Doug's First Movie WAS released as a club exclusive. It, and the DuckTales movie, are also available on Disney's own eBay store, FYI.

But back on topic, I personally am quite pleased by this news. All I want is at least some of the extras from the previous DVD releases of these films include, and I'll be all set. Now if only we could get seasons 4 and 5 of the Muppet Show on DVD. Maybe when Muppets Most Wanted comes out next year?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If we got the TMM & TGMC together and TMCC and MTI together it would have been fine but this just doesn't make sense. I understand they've done this before and it's a good strategy for releasing sequels which haven't done as well as the original;. To me this is like combing Aladdin and Aladdin III: King of Thieves on the same Blu-ray and giving us a single release of Aladdin II: Return of Jafar
Reminds me of the time I found that some of the Land Before Time sequels were released together on DVD and the sequels included were not in order. Like one DVD that has the two movies with Chopper (II and V), though that makes a little sense since it was promoted as a Chopper release. Don't know off-hand what other LBT films were released together on DVD.

The Muppets Go To The Movies I know this has been mentioned numerous times and they probably don't even have the rights to release it and if they do then i don't see why they don't.

Actually Disney does have the rights to that special. They might need to clear various music rights (and maybe also the rights to film clips that appear in the opening number), but Disney does have the distribution rights to that one.

Though if The Muppet Movie blu-ray doesn't have The Muppets Go Hollywood then I guess I'll be surprised if this has The Muppets Go to the Movies (or The Making of Muppet Treasure Island, or the MTI sing-along video).

Status
Not open for further replies.