The Great Desire

theprawncracker

Reaction score
OOH!!! A WHOLE NEW WORLD!! Phenominal!! I loved it!! Keep it up Java!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ohhh, so much pain and so much good stuff too! I love the present day and then how you move back in time obviously showing us how we got to the point we're at now. The wedding day was beautiful. But the pain that Gonzo's in now....oy. More please!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't reply earlier...

You've got us on a roller-coaster ride... Rocking between the depression of the present and the joi de vivre of the past.
The wedding! Loved how they passed the helmet down amongst them, Rowlf playing an original composition for the event... Robin as the ringbearer and Prairie as the flower girl, beautiful.
Camilla's father, that old black rooster... Is that the one from the chickens' cowboy sketch from the Petula Clark episode? Or is it a reference to Bo's Visions 2?
Either way, it works.

Loved how you described Hilda's work with the dress, sewing little crystals into her dress and ballet slippers. And it was generous of Piggy to find a tiara for the bride.

But then... You plunge us into the scene of the present.
Gonzo's drowning his sorrows in drinking and foot fizzies. Oh, this isn't good at all.
And there's Kermit offering to listen to his friend's troubles.
Well... If that soup's from Piggy, it certainly does mean the rest of the gang knows something's wrong.

And then you bring us back to the happiness of the wedding and the reception. Nice use of a Disney song, from Aladdin of course... Great that the EM got a bit of spotlight here... And if only those two lovebirds running away on their honeymoon knew then what they know now...
Sadly beautiful this story is, keep it coming!

Java

Reaction score
Chapter 4

Pick up the toy. Press it. Listen for giggle. Press toy again. Listen for giggle. Place toy on box. Put box on conveyor belt to send to next station. Repeat. Whistle blows. Go to time clock and punch card. Remember not to stamp feathers.

Camilla stepped outside and walked slowly toward her apartment. She thought about stopping for some takeout but knew that she really should eat the leftovers in the refrigerator. Besides, the only good place to get a good birdseed milkshake was Hooper’s and she didn’t feel like going all the way to the other side of the city to get to Hensonville or going even further to Sesame Street. Besides, there was always the chance of running into people that she knew there. No, I’m much better staying here at home, she thought.

The first thing that caught her eye was the blinking red light. Probably just a hang up, she thought as she absently pressed the button and turned to the refrigerator to heat up supper.

“You have five new messages.”

Well, aren’t I the popular one today.

“Message one, Tuesday two fifteen pm,” the recorded voice ended and Janice’s voice filled the room. “Like, umm, hi Camilla. It’s been, wow, a rully, rully, long time since we’ve talked. Like, I’m supposed to be coming home this week and I was hoping we could see each other. So, yea, rully, give me a call. Beep.

Oh no! It has been forever since I’ve talked to Janice. None of this was her fault. How could I have let the time get away from me like that? Camilla made a note to call Janice after work and poured her vegetable soup into the pot on the stove.

“Message two, Tuesday two fifty-six pm,” this time Kermit’s bubbly voice filled the room. “Hi-ho. It’s your friend Kermit here Camilla. We’re putting together a big special for the network and I was hopping you’d be a part of it. I really want as many of us professionals in it as possible to return to our roots. I hope you’ll think about it and I look forward to hearing back from you. You know you can always reach me at the theater. Take care Camilla, and I’ll talk to you later. Beep.

Gee, I just don’t know. I… Camilla didn’t let herself finish the thought as she turned and got out the bread to go with the soup.

“Message three, Tuesday four ten pm,” Camilla waited patiently as there was a long pause on the machine, then a cough with a sob, and finally the phone being slammed down. Beep.

That’s happening almost everyday now. Maybe I should spend a little more money and get caller id. Camilla stood at the stove now, stirring her soup, patiently waiting for it to boil.

“Message four, Tuesday four twenty-eight pm,” now an unfamiliar voice filled the room. “Yes, this message is for Ms. Camilla the Great. Oh, I’m sorry there, I see I overlooked the name change in my files, this is for Ms. Camilla the Chicken. My name is Victor Sims and I would like to discuss the possibility of you taking a teaching position at my school of the arts. We have many students who would benefit from your talents. If you could give me a call back at 555-1762 I would like to set up a time to go over my offer with you. Again that is 555-1762 and I look forward to hearing from you. Have a good day. Beep.

Oh my. Wow. It would certainly be more money than the tickle me Elmo factory. Camilla jotted down the number as her soup over boiled onto the stove.

“Message five, Tuesday five forty-two pm,” the machine announced and Scooter’s voice filled the room. “Camilla, when Kermit called earlier he forgot to mention that we’re having a surprise welcome home party for Janice at the boarding house on Friday. Give me a call on my cell phone and I’ll fill you in on the details. Talk to you soon and see you Friday. Beep.

Just like Scooter to assume I’ll come. Camilla didn’t let her thoughts go further as she finished cleaning up the mess on the stove and sat down to eat the meal. Unable to stand the silence she turned on the tv for a little background noise. Unfortunately it didn’t work and her thoughts still drifted back to her home with Gonzo.

* * * * * * * * * *​
Four and a half years earlier.

“Can someone please pass me the peas?” Robin’s voice called out from the far end of the table.

“I think we had a great rehearsal today. Don’t you, Kermit?” Fozzie picked up the peas and spooned them onto his plate before sliding the bowl down the table.

“Not nearly well enough in my opinion,” Sam spoke up. “If you changed to outstanding American classics you would find bad rehearsals would be a thing of the past.”

“Nice try Sam,” Scooter commended the eagle on his new slightly subtle approach to criticism and convincing them to change.

“I read somewhere that we are considered an American classic,” Camilla signed. All of her close friends had picked up the sign language easily making communications much easier than before.

“Hardly,” Sam puffed.

“Seems to me that usually good rehearsals mean a bad show,” Gonzo quipped.

“I think that’s the dress rehearsal’s Gonzo,” Kermit said, “and as long as you don’t knock yourself into a coma I think we’ll do just fine.”

“And Moi thinks that we should not be talking about work when we are guests in Camilla and Gonzo’s beautiful new home.”

“Your right, Piggy. I rully love what you’ve done with the place Camilla.”

“Kind of small for all of us man,” Floyd spoke up, teasing the new home owners.

“Too Small! Too Small! Too Small!” Animal banged on the table.

“Hey, Kermit? Have you heard anything from Bernie about the movie script?”

“No, not yet.”

Dinner continued in it’s merriment with talk about the shows, the next movie – Fozzie’s Angels, the house, the Electric Mayhem’s extra gigs, the Christmas at the Count’s, and everything else they had going on. Before they knew it midnight had come and their visitors were boarding the Electric Mayhem bus to get some rest before rehearsals the next day.

“That was nice,” Camilla said as she snuggled close to Gonzo.

“Yea, but sometimes it gets to be a lot.”

“I know, that’s why we bought the house. We don’t have to deal with it every night that way.”

“True, my little chic-a-de,” he said as he leaned in for a passionate kiss.

“I love you.” Camilla said before she kissed Gonzo again.

“I love you, too,” Gonzo replied, truly happy that they had the privacy now that the boarding house did not offer.

MarkFraggle

Reaction score
Java said:
Besides, the only good place to get a good birdseed milkshake was Hooper’s
LOVE. HOOPER'S. Great casual reference, Java!

Java said:
“Message two, Tuesday two fifty-six pm,” this time Kermit’s bubbly voice filled the room. “Hi-ho. It’s your friend Kermit here Camilla. We’re putting together a big special for the network and I was hopping you’d be a part of it. I really want as many of us professionals in it as possible to return to our roots. I hope you’ll think about it and I look forward to hearing back from you. You know you can always reach me at the theater. Take care Camilla, and I’ll talk to you later. Beep.
Is Kermit being sneaky, or honest?!

Java said:
“Message three, Tuesday four ten pm,” Camilla waited patiently as there was a long pause on the machine, then a cough with a sob, and finally the phone being slammed down. Beep.
Awwwwww!

Java said:
“Yes, this message is for Ms. Camilla the Great. Oh, I’m sorry there, I see I overlooked the name change in my files, this is for Ms. Camilla the Chicken.
Camilla The Great! Best line in this story so far. LOVE again.

Java said:
Oh my. Wow. It would certainly be more money than the tickle me Elmo factory. Camilla jotted down the number as her soup over boiled onto the stove.
I can't even begin to tell you how often I let things boil over because I get distracted. It is a little touch, but it makes Camilla feel very human. Er ... chicken.

Java said:
Just like Scooter to assume I’ll come.
It IS just like Scooter. Well done!

Java said:
“Not nearly well enough in my opinion,” Sam spoke up. “If you changed to outstanding American classics you would find bad rehearsals would be a thing of the past.”

“Nice try Sam,” Scooter commended the eagle on his new slightly subtle approach to criticism and convincing them to change.
Ah-hahahaha. Now THIS might be the best line yet. Tough call.

Java said:
“I read somewhere that we are considered an American classic,” Camilla signed. All of her close friends had picked up the sign language easily making communications much easier than before.
Cute line, and oh so true.

Java said:
“Too Small! Too Small! Too Small!” Animal banged on the table.
Hooray for small touches of Animal!

Hooray for everything about this story. I love it! LOVE.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I loved that chapter! I love how you let us look inside Camilla's head while she was listening to the messages. I also loved the dinner at Gonzo and Camilla's house when things were still happy. Saw some nod's to some other stories as well, Christmas at the Count's, etc. Very nice, there's so much sadness here, but also so much Muppety goodness. I just want to keep reading, but there's no more to read!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
To quote our own somewhat unofficially installed Queen... I hug this chapter!
Oh Melissa... It's a great thing to come home to and read.

Loved you showing us a slice of Camilla's new home life. Thought it was a Tickle-Me-Elmo factory from the instructions at the beginning.

You get 1, 1 hug for mentioning the fact she didn't want to go to the Hooper's Store on the other side of Hensonville.
Rully liked the messages on her answering machine...

Homecoming party for Janice? Like, where's she been?
Ooh, maybe a side story for the future with tiein implications.

Liked how you walked us through Camilla making her dinner, and it slightly boiling when she got Mr. Simms' message.

Typical Scooter, laughed at that.

The dinner party from four and a half years ago!
So Muppety... Let's see...
The way the gang was passing around the food while conversation still went on... Nod to Bo's Wishing On The Morning Star?
So long as Gonzo's not in a coma... Ryan's Old Friends.
The next movie - Fozzie's Angels -, Ru's Kermie's Girl!
And of course, well, do I have to point out my own little reference?
You get 4 more hugs for each one of those.

Also liked how everybody else's picked up on interpreting sign language, making communicating with her easier. And it's a sort of loving painful to see how the blissful past contrasts with the heartbroken present.

So to sum up... you get 5, 5 happy hugs!
Oh... Before I forget... More please!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Ja-Ja-Ja-JAVA! said:
“I think that’s the dress rehearsal’s Gonzo,” Kermit said, “and as long as you don’t knock yourself into a coma I think we’ll do just fine.”
AH!!!!!!! REFERENCE! You referenced me!!! (((HUGS))) Lovely lovely lovely chapter!! I hug it too!

Java

Reaction score
Yes, you got those references correct, but there's another reference in there that I didn't see mentioned. I'll give you a chance to find it as I work on the next chapter.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Alls I spotted that could be possible references...
Bernie, Bernie Brillstein who was Jim's agent, last seen in Flippersteps?
School for the Arts, a subtle Moppet Family reference?

Oh, and I think the term is "chickadee", awaiting more eagerly.