The Great Comic Book Thread!!

The Great Gonzo

Reaction score
I got to meet all of the Kuberts at Wizard World East in Philadelphia this year. Figured a Ka-Zar fan would appreciate that!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
This one does! :smile:

Lucky I wasn't there...I would have dressed in a loin cloth and painted my cat up like Zabu...funny for 5 minutes, mentally scaring for an eternity...

Just got the Marvel Team-Up: Ka-Zar/HULK vs. Modok! This was an especially sad issue...I never liked reading HULK, being while I usually like to leave a comic with a feeling of "wow that was awesome!," I always leave HULK with a "jeeze, I feel so bad for him..."

-Matt

Struble

Reaction score
Speaking as a comicbookical colourist, more people should be buying comics. Everyone who loves comics should pick out a comic that they know a friend will like and force that friend to read that comics. So, hopefully that friend will start reading comics. Our industry isn't in it's best shape. We need more readers. Buy a couple Archie digests and give them to your neighbors kids.

What do I read? Can I say everything? No? I din't think so. Okay, here is a really glossed over list of what I buy each month:

I buy almost everything that DC puts out. This includes all their imprints -- DC, Vertigo, Wildstorm, Homage, America's Best Comics. Not everything, but at least 60% of their publications I buy. The books I must read immdediately following returning from the comicshop: Green Lantern, Green Arrow, (WHY DID THEY HAVE TO CANCEL DEADMAN?!?), Hellblazer, Hawkman, JSA et ceterma. You can be assured that I get the standards as well -- Batman, Superman, etc.

Marvel. Not everything, but a goodly amount. My favorite thing they printed in the last couple of years was Blaze of Glory. Occasionally, I'll pick up a Spider-Man book.

Oni. 90% of what this company's output is absolute golden. Jingle Belle, Magic Pickle, Pounded, Queen and Country. Blue Monday, Barry Ween, etc. GOOD BOOKS.

Fantagraphics. I cannot live without Acme Novelty Library and Love and Rockets. I simply cannot live without them. Los Bros. Hernandez are so great it is unimaginable.

Slave Labour. Lot's of good books. Action Girl, Waiting Place, Dork. I'm forgetting a million more good books these kids do. Oh oh, Jhonen's books (yes, I am goth, thank you very much).

Oh geez... who else

Fred Dalrymple's Pop Gun War is absolutely beatufiul.

Sam Kieth's the Maxx is my favorite series of all time.

Animal Man was an amazing comic from DC back in the late 80s early 90s.

Will Eisner has always been and will always be the god of comics.

Must show love for the King. Jack Kirby invented most of the techniques we still use in comics today.

Jim Mahfood, Chynna Clugston-Major, Scott Morse, Daniel Clowes, Mike Allred, Neil Gaiman, Dave McKean, Paul Pope, CARL BARKS, Jill Thompson, James Kochalka, Dennis O'Neil, Neal Adams, Alan Moore, Tony Millionaire, Greg Hyland and tons of other artists and writers I'm doing a great disservice by blanking their names.

As you can tell, I do, indeed, love the medium of comics. That's why I made it my career. I've been colouring comics since 1997, and been having a blast.

Much appologies that I didn't mention all my favorite colourists, but I have too many influences to go into detail on them, too.

Sh.

grail

Reaction score
i agree with Struble...everyone go get people to read comics! i WOULD read just about everything that is out there, but i have had to completely avoid some titles (like JSA, for instance) because i KNOW it's good, and i KNOW i'll end up buying it, and i can't afford to get it...heck, i had to drop the Tick at one point, because it was the most expensive comic i got, it was was drop that, or TWO of the others...i thought i was gonna cry...

as far as Struble working in the field, and gonzo meeting the Kuberts...that's so cool! the closest i ever got to anyone who did comics for a living was when i used to chat with this guy named Bill Nichols, who used to work for Knight Press as an inker. i still have a script he was working on that never got printed...somewhere. he was a cool guy, but his girlfriend wouldn't let him play with us anymore...something about "quality time" and all that...

The Great Gonzo

Reaction score
I've found that a very nice thing about being a comic fan is that most of the writers and artists are very accessible. In Philadelphia, I was able to talk to all three Kuberts, Mark Waid, Jeph Loeb, Judd Winnick, Joe Quesdada, Kevin Smith...the list goes on and on. I am very excited to go to October's convention in Baltimore because CHRIS CLAREMONT will be there!