The game show thread

Schfifty

Reaction score
:big_grin:

I mean, he looks great and all that, but his face looks different, almost unrecognizable.
Yeah, but he still sports those iconic glasses so we know it's him. :wink:

One of the changes I find most surprising about Drew aside from the weight loss is when he dyed his hair white. I kinda thought it was a neat little nod to Bob Barker.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Yeah, but he still sports those iconic glasses so we know it's him. :wink:

One of the changes I find most surprising about Drew aside from the weight loss is when he dyed his hair white. I kinda thought it was a neat little nod to Bob Barker.
So it's the hair that I think looks unrecognizable to me now.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Nowadays, they have another classic network for game shows called Buzzr, which could very well be described as everything GSN used to be, only better.

For example: Whenever you saw/see classic game shows on GSN, the end portion would fall victim to GSN's infamous "credit crunches", which would virtually skip the consolation prizes and end credits sequences, while the Buzzr reruns leave the consolation prizes / end credits sequences intact.

In addition, Buzzr's schedule includes Richard Dawson and Ray Combs era Family Feud, Password Plus, Beat the Clock, and their airings of Match Game actually include the consolation prize sequences, unlike credit-crunching GSN; Buzzr's weekend evening schedule has classic 70's and 80's game shows such as Blockbusters, Child's Play (both emceed by game-show legend Bill Cullen), where kids define words in the style of Art Linkletter's Kids Say the Darndest Things, the charades-based Body Language, Double Dare (the 1970's version hosted by Alex Trebek, no relation to the Nick show of the same name), and Now You See It.

Even though GSN still airs some classic shows such as Match Game (minus consolation prizes), $25,000 Pyramid, mid-1980's Card Sharks, O'Hurley and Steve Harvey Family Feud, and its own remake of the Pyramid, its schedule also has a lot of modern original programming such as Idiotest, Emogenius, and a lot of modern programs such as The Chase, Cash Cab, Catch 21, and Chain Reaction, and other relationship shows such as Baggage and a 21st century remake of The Newlywed Game.

Schfifty

Reaction score
We don't get Buzzr in our state, sadly, but I'd much prefer to watch it over GSN nowadays. Don't get me started on their countless hours of Steve Harvey Feud.

mariolover

Reaction score
Bump. This is one of the first episodes of WoF to feature the current puzzle board chime, double buzz, bankrupt, and wrong letter sounds! (No final spin on this one, but the current final spin sound debuted in this season as well.)

The double buzz sounded on the bonus puzzle right as the woman solved the puzzle, meaning she solved it at the last second. If she waited a split second longer, she would have failed.

The very first episode to feature these sounds was the September 4, 1989 episode, which hasn’t surfaced yet.

mariolover

Reaction score
Too bad they edit out the bankrupt final spins nowadays. The edits are obvious too. They showed it on TV for the last time on January 6, 1998.

mariolover

Reaction score
Louie Anderson Family Feud premiere. First new episode of the reboot also!

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I happen to be a fan of game shows for many years, and while I am still a fan, my interest has weakened in the last year or two. Shows that I really enjoyed and recorded for my collection, the number of outstanding episodes I have yet to see, is pretty low now. One series, "Press Your Luck" (the 80s version), had only three months of episodes yet to be aired. Unfortunately, GSN chose not to air them, so I guess we will have to wait to see if they appear on Buzzr someday. I agree that Buzzr is better than GSN, as GSN tended to only lease limited runs - sometimes select periods of a series - usually if there is something big happening at some point in the range.

However, I do have access to the Canadian equivalent called GameTV, and since 2017, it has aired classic game shows that were produced in the U.S. However, it seems as if GameTV only goes after the "cult classics", such as "Match Game", "Super Password", "Family Feud" (they aired Dawson's episodes for some months, but just before Christmas they took it off the schedule, while the Ray Combs version has aired since 2019 and still airs to this day), and "Press Your Luck". There are other cult classic series that should be acquired by GameTV someday - such as "Card Sharks" (Perry and/or Eubanks version) and "Sale of the Century".

As of lately, the only time I watch TV is when I am off from work due to bad weather shutting down my office building, and the most I watch would be "The Price is Right" on CBS and maybe "Super Password" on GameTV, as long as they are fresh episodes. If any of them are repeats, I will not watch them.

There is rumor going around that "Press Your Luck" may be coming back to GameTV on Monday, February 1. However, last I checked GameTV's official schedule, nothing was posted for February 1 as yet. Also, GameTV didn't do any posts on their Facebook page since January 7, though they did update their cover photo a few days ago. I am not sure if stay-at-home orders due to a big surge in COVID-19 cases in Ontario (which is where I believe the cable network is based) prompted the staff at GameTV, in addition to non-essential employees, to respect these orders. Thankfully, the number of new cases in Ontario is in decline now.