The Food Thread (Non Instagram Edition)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Cracker Barrel has always had what they call their "sampler," which is basically a platter with a little bit of some of their common menu items like ham, meatloaf, and chicken and dumplins (plus sides, of course) - it's always been a great go-to dish if you can't make up your mind of what you want to order . . . but holy mackerel, they've recently updated their sampler, and the samples you get of each item are huge! It's like eating an entire banquet!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Okay, so we've discussed our preference for pizza toppings and hot dog toppings, but we only kind of skimmed on our preference for burger toppings. . . . So, what are yours?

For me, it kind of depends on whose burger it is, but generally speaking, my one consistent burger topping is pickles: no matter what the burger or who made it, pickles are a must for me. As a matter of fact, there used to be a local chain of ice cream parlors in my town called Kay's, and they made great burgers: juicy, greasy, delicious . . . just a squirt of ketchup, and a pile of pickles, and I was most content. Conversely, the one burger topping that is an absolute no for me is tomatoes; I hate tomatoes (and yet, I can consume ketchup, tomato soup, spaghetti/pizza sauce no problem, but actual tomatoes I can't stand).

I find McDonald's put too much ketchup on their burgers, so that's usually the only thing I'll leave off. Similarly, Krystal (the southern version of White Castle) tends to go overboard with their mustard at times. Then there's Sonic, who does mayo. I don't mind a little of any of these sauces, but too much of any of them can ruin the burger for me (lookin' at you, Burger King, drowning your burgers in ketchup and mayo).

In all honesty, I find it's the smaller, local/regional burger joints that make better burgers than most of these national franchises.