The Douglas Adams Story

towels

Reaction score
I'm putting this here instead of the Ask Ken thread...you'll have to hunt through 185+ pages of posts to figure out the beginning...
:smile:

Well, I think I've determined that at some point I slipped through to an alternate dimension, as this is the only explanation I can still come up with but here goes...

In So Long and Thanks for All the Fish there is a chapter about Arthur deciding to buy a computer to figure out where the cave was that he lived in on prehistoric Earth. I distinctly remember the salesmen talking to a co-worker about the software avaliable on some system (likely IBM). Then came the line "Arthur decided to buy the Apple anyway"
To me "anyway" indicated there was a reason for him not to, i.e. the software avaliable on the other system.
However, I have never since been able to find that co-worker paragraph in any copies. I figured it had been removed for copyright reasons. I talked about this once on a DNA fan usenet group, and he replied that perhaps I was thinking of a different passage from a different book, and he then proceeded to quote it. Astonished, amazed that I had attracted the attention of this genius, I nevertheless proceeded to insist that wasn't the passage I was thinking of, which then caused him to go back into his storage and find his original manuscript, which supported his point of view- that what is commonly seen in So Long is what has always been there, nothing more, nothing less.
To this day I remain unconvinced, even though it causes me great guilt, much like Fenchurch with her otter picture. I just can't get past the use of the word anyway without the aforementioned reasons not to do something.

So that's my story. Obviously Doug's been a huge influence on me, and indirectly led to my username, though that's another long story in itself.

grail

Reaction score
that's awesome.

even if it didn't show up, it is a VERY Adams thing to say...especially knowing how much he loved his MACs (nobody's perfect)

and yeah, i wondered that about your username...personally, i keep a towel in the trunk of my car at all times...seriously...

towels

Reaction score
Originally posted by grail
and yeah, i wondered that about your username...
I'll have to tell that story tomorrow...or later today if I decide not to do very much work.
:big_grin: