The Discontinued Snack Foods thread

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I remember when McDonald's apple pies were fried. Dunked in the same oil as the fries, made the crust super crispy, and guaranteed to burn your mouth on the first bite (the warning on the box- "Caution: Filling is HOT"- they were't lying).
But despite the risk of suffering burns (this was some years before the lady spilled McD's coffee on herself and settled for an obscene amount of money) the pies were fantastic.
Wendy's tried their hand at a mini buffet called the Superbar, which lasted from 1988 to 1998. It was apparently a big hit as you can tell (you only had to pay $2.99!), but was difficult for a little fast food chain to maintain while still serving up burgers and baked potatoes. There are a lot of people on Facebook campaigning for Wendy's to bring back the Superbar.

A number of Wendy's around here had the Superbar, because they bought out all the Roy Rogers locations. Roy's had a salad bar that put Wendy's to shame. But maintaining a salad bar is labor-intensive, and for Wendy's wasn't very profitable. They streamlined it now having prefab salads, but not as good as fixing your own.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
I remember when McDonald's apple pies were fried. Dunked in the same oil as the fries, made the crust super crispy, and guaranteed to burn your mouth on the first bite (the warning on the box- "Caution: Filling is HOT"- they were't lying).
But despite the risk of suffering burns (this was some years before the lady spilled McD's coffee on herself and settled for an obscene amount of money) the pies were fantastic.

A number of Wendy's around here had the Superbar, because they bought out all the Roy Rogers locations. Roy's had a salad bar that put Wendy's to shame. But maintaining a salad bar is labor-intensive, and for Wendy's wasn't very profitable. They streamlined it now having prefab salads, but not as good as fixing your own.
those pies were good, and they were bigger too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think the fried pies thing was discontinued due to pseudo-healthy reasons that it's much less fat if it's baked. The best substitute was Taco Bell's Apple Empinadas introduced a few years back. Don't know if they're still on there. Didn't exactly have a pleasant time last time I ate at one.

I do like how there's some seasonal pies currently. I especially like the strawberry creme one. It's like a strawberry cheese danish, almost.

Of course, with all the buzz over Burger King having hot dogs, I remember the couple months our North Eastern McD's actually adopted hot dogs on the menu. Even had hot dog Happy Meals. I know specifically because I had one with a Gravedale High toy. Can't remember who, though. That lasted incredibly short. They did try hot dogs again, probably regionally, sometime in the 00's, but it failed to catch on as well.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If we're also going to discuss fast food items, then I'm going to say that I miss when Taco Bell used to bring out those flatbreads usually every fall - granted, I'm not usually a fan of flour tortillas, but there was something really good about those flatbreads; the chicken was my favorite - the melted cheese and that little kick of chipotle sauce? Yum. Like a quesadilla on steroids, lol.

But hey . . . what's the deal with Taco Bell adding rice to almost everything now?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rice is a cheap enough filler, plus it is an ingredient in more authentic dishes.

And maybe it'll add some nice fiber or whatever to their menu so more patrons won't have...unpleasant side effects.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is something I've been meaning to talk about, but have forgotten to post it until now.

Keebler has re-continued more flavors of E.L. Fudge cookies besides the standard butter cookie with fudge and double stuff butter cookie with fudge. Though they've only gone so far as to reintroduce chocolate cookies and vanilla cookies both with standard creme filling. Still, those chocolate vanilla creme filled ones are quite good. I think I like them a lot more than Oreo.

And also, with all the trouble I went through to find Ecto-Cooler, I'm syrprised by how neatly this one fell into my lap. The Crystal Pepsi comeback finally made it to my state. Though only in the form of the 16 oz bottles. No cans or full sized 2 liters.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Cheetos brought back one of their old varieties from the early 90s: Paws.