The Decline of DVD Commentaries

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm not sure; I have the DVD, but never really watch it since 3 wasn't really good - not even Martin Short as Jack Frost could save that one.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I've been listening to the commentaries on my Robot Chicken DVDs a lot lately. I just recently started listening to them and I pretty much laugh all the way through. Not only are they hilarious but they also give a lot of interesting background information about the show and it's writers/staff that I wouldn't have known otherwise. For example, I recently found out that despite being the series' creator Seth doesn't have the final say about what goes on the air. It's a group decision which means that Seth has admittably said that he has been forced to voice characters in skits that he absolutely hates.

Princeton

Reaction score
2018 was a pretty decent year for DVD commentaries actually. The only one I thought was pretty lame was Incredibles 2. It starts off with writer/director Brad Bird introducing himself and the film and then dropping the bomb that the commentary was going to be an all-animator commentary. This was a huge cop out but on the flip side I totally can see why. On the commentary for the first Incredibles, Bird made a pretty infamous comment that he would punch the next person who described animation as a genre. I think it's pretty clear why that was the last DVD commentary he's done and he's made four films since then.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What other films has he done besides RATATOUILLE and THE INCREDIBLES 2?

Princeton

Reaction score
I know that there’s still five months left of 2020 and I normally wait until the beginning of the next new year to do an audio commentary review but after listening to the Onward commentary I have… some thoughts. This is going to get a little political so you’ve been warned.
So right off the bat the director says “So unlike the last movie I directed, I wanted this movie to be funny and yet relatable”. The last movie he directed was Monsters University, which I hold in extremely high regard. While not ‘wet-your-pants’ funny, MU is hardly devoid of humor and it has a great moral: break the rules and there will be consequences. Now obvi lots of kids movies have this moral but I feel like MU gets it across the best.
So anyway the Onward commentary gets cooking along and the director starts talking about how important it was to make all the background creatures be of all different ethnicities/races. Dude, you need to leave stuff like that to the United Nations. You make movies about talking toys/bugs/fish/cars/monsters. Of course, I knew what this was code for: “Well, Trump sure as **** ain’t gonna do it so I guess we have to!”, which I don’t agree with but we are talking about Pixar who’s so liberal they make Whole Foods look like the Vatican.

Princeton

Reaction score
^I would have never guessed that a movie that did average (at best) box office business would be devoid of criticism but obvi y'all proved me wrong.