The date Muppet fans will forever remember

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It really feels like they are gearing up to make some new *and solid* Muppety goodness. I also like how Disney responded to fans wanting to see more of the cast members aside from just Kermit & Piggy. Somebody's been listening...good thing we didn't put out the mouse traps. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
Oh, absolutely. Absolutely. While all this epicness is going on, Dark Crystal 2 and Fraggle Rock (which is mostly Weinstine's fault, as far as I'm concerned) are sitting in a closet begging to be made, but aren't.

Honestly, count me as one of the fans that felt the total relauch started with LTS, which lead to a chain of amazing events... comics, web videos, and all that. Sure, we had a few muppet projects here and there... that Muppet Christmas album, and all that... but after Disney decided to launch the franchise under their ownership with the rushed Oz film, we had to sit by patiently (and in my case, Impatiently) for them to get things going again. Added to the fact that there was multiple management changes (Dw posted it on the Bohemian Rhapsody thread), and that inane writer's strike (I was pretty annoyed by both sides, but mostly the corporations)... we had a tough go.

But things are back in business and we're getting a HUGE push for the inevitable movie. And this pre-hype session (something new I've noticed) can drum up enough buzz for the movies to not only get made, but be successful.
Well again, not to go on a total JHC bashing session(I wish em luck with Sid the Science kid, their continual success with doing practical creature effects/outfits for big films, and other endeavors), but I just feel all the magic has left JHC and I think they knew by 2003 they just could not in good conscience hold the Muppets down anymore.

And yeah, we all felt a gut to the stomach...afterall JHC without the Muppets seemed anathema to us. The mouse was seen as selling out, "them". I now am convinced Disney is their savior.

And I think many of us can agree that as SOON as the Muppets.com videos began online...we all had that "ok...they're in good hands now" assurance. The magic is absolutely back and better than ever. It's just incredible, the sheer writing and chemistry going on in Muppetland.

And heck, Sesame Street is as on top of things as ever(Go Murray and Ovejita!) Will we ever get that Fraggle relaunch with JHC? Eh, who knows. But with the exception of Disney dropping the Bear franchise(MAJOR bad decision I feel), I could NOT be more thrilled with the mouse right now.

Between Up, Princess and the Frog and the Muppets push, I give Disney VERY high marks right now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well again, not to go on a total JHC bashing session(I wish em luck with Sid the Science kid, their continual success with doing practical creature effects/outfits for big films, and other endeavors), but I just feel all the magic has left JHC and I think they knew by 2003 they just could not in good conscience hold the Muppets down anymore.
I feel that they're trying to do too much while they're unable to even get one project right. I love Puppet Up, but it seems that's the only thing they got going for them, as is Sid the Science Kid. I never bothered watching those DTV fairy Tale things, since... well, frankly they seem to blend into the background with every other spoof fairy tale CGI Shrek wanna be movie. You know, like Happily Never After... blehhh. I'm sure they're good, but that SHOULDN'T be what Henson is all about.

And while I do blame the Weinstines and the recession of the fact that Fraggle Rock doesn't have a financial leg to stand on (very very disappointed about that... why they can't just give the thing to Lionsgate and say, "Sorry Weinstines... we had a good run of not getting a single one of our projects off the ground"). I almost wish Disney bought the dang Fraggles too. We would have had some choice web videos and structured plans for a movie right now.

To me, JHC's leadership, or more likely the lack thereof is why they're in the state they are. And while it took Disney some getting used to what they planned on doing, not to mention going through 3 heads of the Muppet division, they KNOW what they're doing. Even SW sort of knows where it's at right now. JHC, no. I say, make youtube exclusive Puppet up videos (someone else suggested this) to get their name out the same way these Muppet virals have been doing for Disney.

And hey, looks like Disney's getting better all over. While they're still aggressively pushing their tween stuff, they actually acknowledge that they have OTHER people they can please and make money from. Heck, seeing Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck in the Disney store... why, they haven't been there since before they aggressively pushed Winnie the Pooh and the Dalmatians in the 90's.

zns

Reaction score
There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Jim would bee very pleased.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I wonder if part of the Muppet push would be releasing previous Muppet Christmas specials on DVD--Great Santa Clause Switch, "A Christmas Together" with John Denver, etc. I've found them on you-tube, but I'd really like to see them remastered and whatnot and done with Disney's usual panache.
Maybe next holiday season. We weren't going to see any Disney-owned Muppet Christmas specials out on dvd this year since that slot was going to go to Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa.

I've been a little disappointed at the lack of Muppet dvds since the Disney buy - there's been the first three seasons of TMS, the bonus-feature-lacking "Kermit's 50th Anniversary" rereleases of TMM/GMC/MCC/MTI, MWOO and now LTS. But i respect that Disney's been careful with the timing. They're not just throwing everything out all at once willy nilly and then having nothing left. This isn't a contractual thing with an expiration date; the Muppets are Disney's from now on (unless they decided to sell them which is too unlikely to consider).

These things will come in time. And i respect how Disney is waiting til the time is right. I can fully see one, maybe two holiday specials out on dvd next year - I think it's safe to say we will se MFC in 2010 or 2011 (if Disney's smart, they'll know JHC is looking to revive the Fraggles and do a movie - so they'll wait til that brand is strong to release MFC to maximum benefit and fanfare. Sesame will always be strong because it's on daily and Disney will make sure the Muppets stay strong).

The Muppets relaunch is in a great place, but this in when it comes down to it, really just the beginning. Once it's in full swing (ie the next movie is out) i think a lot of those various specials and goodies they now own and have been sitting on will hit the market.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I haven't been this excited about upcoming stuff since I was a kid. This new Muppet phenomenon (doo doooo doo doo doo) is snowballing at an unbelievable rate! It truly is a renaissance.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
I'll be totally honest: I thought Disney buying the Muppets was a great idea waaaay back in 2004! And I was actually RIGHT about the good hands they'd be in!

With 1 major exception, I am totally thrilled about the Muppets renaissance right now.

And what is that major exception, you ask? Good question! It's the use (or lack thereof) of the Muppet Babies thus far! Although, with the Muppet renaissance of late, I wouldn't be far off in thinking that maybe next year we'll see Muppet Babies on DVD season sets at long last, especially with that Marvel deal that could close right before 2010 gets kicked off in earnest!

BJ

rexcrk

Reaction score
I've always had a feeling that Disney would do good things with the Muppets when they bought 'em.

Of course, when they released The Muppet Show on DVD that was good enough for me to assume that they weren't "ruining" the Muppets. :wink:

beaker

Reaction score
The Muppets relaunch is in a great place, but this in when it comes down to it, really just the beginning. Once it's in full swing (ie the next movie is out) i think a lot of those various specials and goodies they now own and have been sitting on will hit the market.
It'd be ironic if the Muppets got to the point of massive ultra saturation to the point where you couldnt go anywhere without seeing the Muppets. Then again, I've waited my whole life for that!

And holy toledo, the Muppets are everywhere on tv.....

http://www.muppetnewsflash.com/2009/12/muppets-make-holiday-appearances-on-nbc.html

Drtooth

Reaction score
And what is that major exception, you ask? Good question! It's the use (or lack thereof) of the Muppet Babies thus far! Although, with the Muppet renaissance of late, I wouldn't be far off in thinking that maybe next year we'll see Muppet Babies on DVD season sets at long last, especially with that Marvel deal that could close right before 2010 gets kicked off in earnest!
I wondered if that ever was an issue, again... they have SO many rights to clear up, and MB was made while Henson and Columbia were sort of partners... and those rights are going to be a pain to smooth over. If we see them in collector's sets at all will surprise me. And even then, whos to say we're not going to get the "family friendly" 5 episodes for 15 dollars release we always see? Honestly, how is spending 15 bucks for 5 episodes, vs 20-30 for a full 13 episode season "family Friendly?"

Besides, if we are honestly going to start the Muppet babies brand back up again, I think it should wait for the actual muppets to full on make a come back, and even then, start small with Baby notions, like bibs and BPH free bottles. Maybe toys.