The Darkwing Duck Thread

Slackbot

Reaction score
There's "The Secret Origins of Darkwing Duck," Which is a story told to futuristic "Gosaloid" and "Honkulon" by a janitor who looks a lot like an elderly Darkwing Duck. It's also one of Negaduck's multiple origins.

Although this origin plainly isn't meant to be taken seriously, the writers of the comic book did incorporate it into the latest comic in the form of the archer-Darkwing, who carried on Gosalyn's mission after her death in the line of duty.

Drtooth

Reaction score
By "origin" I mean origin of Darkwing the series, not Darkwing the character...So yeah, Darkly Dawns the Duck. I want to call it the pilot... but considering the origin "movies" for Ducktales and Rescue Rangers were made well into the series. So, I'm confused if Darkly WAS the true pilot.

So the Disney Comics Darkwing Duck "series" was just the 4 part adaption of that storyline. And I'm not all that happy about comic adaptions. Sure, I LOVE when they adapt movies and use the original script and leave in all the deleted scenes we'd never get to see otherwise... especially be sure to check out the first TMNT movie comic book adaption with the alternate ending (April and Casey try to sell the Turtles as a comic book, getting turned down because it was "far fetched," to the disgust of one of the turtles sitting outside the window looking in). But when it comes to cartoons, I feel it's lazy. Especially since Darkwing DEMANDS a good comic book full of original stories. Thankfully Disney Adventures published some great ones... the Marvel ones were hit or miss.

I hope they publish all the GOOD ones in the Darkwing Duck reprint series. I hope it IS a series (I swear I saw volume 1 on the cover).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
By "origin" I mean origin of Darkwing the series, not Darkwing the character...So yeah, Darkly Dawns the Duck. I want to call it the pilot... but considering the origin "movies" for Ducktales and Rescue Rangers were made well into the series. So, I'm confused if Darkly WAS the true pilot.
I've seen this forum post that listed the production order for the Darkwing Duck episodes: http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showpost.php?p=3698380&postcount=6

According to that, "Water Way to Go" is the first episode production-wise. And in my opinion that's an odd choice for a first produced episode (even if it wasn't the first broadcast one), as it experiments with the format a bit by having Darkwing and Launchpad switch places. Though the beginning of the episode, with Grizzlytuff trying to convince J. Gander Hooter not to ask Darkwing to take the case, does seem like an appropriate way to start the series.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heck with the Muppet ones. Darkwing Duck and Rescue Rangers are where it's AT! Actual, the rescue rangers look particularly nice. Man, the last time I saw Darkwing Duck on consumer merchandise )other than that poorly colored Hot Topic shirt) was a long lost Hallmark Christmas Ornament... well, not Darkwing himself, but there was this little tin ornament shaped like a schoolbus that had Disney kids riding in it... they must've run out of obvious ones, since Gosalyn and Max were there. Of course, all three of Donals' Nephews, but Goz was on an ornament. I wonder why I never got it.

Anyone else reading the Rescue Rangers comic? It's really getting good in its new story arc (not that it wasn't great before).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Looking a bit more at that Disney Afternoon Vinyl series, it seems each DA series is represented with two characters per series. I guess the inclusion of Launchpad is because of DuckTales more than Darkwing Duck (though judging by how stylized they are I don't think that Launchpad looks specifically like either series version).

It would be great if they did a seperate Darkwing Duck (or TailSpin or DuckTales, but this thread is about DWD) vinylmation series. But would it be weird for one to not include Darkwing (yeah, there could be a variation)? Is there a policy of not rereleasing any figures into other series of vinylmation (they didn't rerelease the Kermit vinylmation into the first series of Muppet vinyls)? I don't think Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop, or Bonkers would need their own Vinylmation series (characters from those shows could just be included in future Disney Afternoon series). But there are a lot of great Darkwing Duck characters who should be given the Vinylmation treatment (Negaduck, Megavolt, Honker). They could even finally get a Gizmoduck figure made!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would rather some sort of PVC series of Darkwing Duck than all these Vynalmations, myself. At the very least a Bean Bag Darkwing. Or a shirt where he's colored in correctly.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I still have my DW action figures from the 80's (or early 90's?), and just recently found an extra Ratcatcher that I USPSd to one of my favorite pals up in NY; but, some NICE PVC figurines of the DW characters would be great; or, something more articulated and less "animated features" on action figures would be nice, too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just wanna see something... these vynals are that something. It really is a shame Disney just has so much on their plate that nostalgic (and this will make us all freaking old) 20 year+ old cartoon shows are far from the priority. Though, I'm absolutely thrilled at Boom's new Darkwing/Rescue Rangers/Ducktales line up.

Sigh... I wish I could find the complete set of figures cheap. I have some, but I'd rather have cleaner, less used ones with all the accessories in tact.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was recently watching the episode Clash Reunion, and there's sort of a plot hole that I noticed. Spoiler alert below!
. Anyway, at the end, after the bullies learn that Drake Mallard is Darkwing Duck and after Drake earns their respect, he uses a hypnotism coin to make them forget that he's Darkwing (and also to convince them that Drake Mallard is a cool guy). And I'm thinking, why didn't he use that on them at the reunion? Also odd is that right afterwards, Megavolt points out that he knows Darkwing's true identity, and Darkwing reacts in fear before learning that Megavolt has suddenly forgotten who Darkwing is.... But why didn't he use his hypnotism thing on Megavolt as well?

And I feel it's a bit sad that Megavolt and the bullies all just laughed as soon as they learned Drake Mallard was Darkwing Duck. Darkwing must have had a reputation as a hero regardless of who his true identity was. And he had defeated Megavolt many times... If anything Megavolt should have been embarrassed by who he's often been defeated by.